2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm counting P/R completely out for the moment. They need more than one triple in their programs to be able to compete with the top-tier teams. They might get great GOE in their pair elements, but it's not going to make up for the deficit of underrotated triples or doubles--S/H are here to tell you that, and they are World Champions and Olympics medallists.

On the other hand, besides the three russians and S/H, I think the top is not that crowded. The podium will most likely be one chinese and two russians, I don't see any other international team making a case for themselves at the moment. Maybe Knierim/Frazier if clean. Definitely not any other american or canadian team. And then, who else? The podium in pairs is pretty much set. But sending in a third russian team with good chances of podium, could give Russia more options. And P/R are definitely not that.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Anyone care to translate? I don't understand Russian ... but I like the picture. Nastya looks very pretty in sky blue :)
Rough content:
The host asks how is it to win in such young age (reminding they are first russian pair to win gold in 8 years), how about the adrenalie/nerves. Sasha says yes, there are nerves at every start, but an athlete has to deal with that. Nastya tahnks to the fans for the support.
Another question whether they were shouting when they realized they won. Nastya answers they were in shock so they were in fact silent :)
Next, who is the leader in their pair, Sasha gives a diplomatic answer about how they started to skate together and how they support each other, aimimg on that they are equal, Nastya than jokingly adds that Tamara Nikolayevna is of course the leader.
Next question about the team competition, who will be the main contender for the Russians, Sasha talks about that it can't be said that way, that the result will depend on the performance of every athlete of every team, Nastya adds that they haven't seen the full composition of the teams yet. Sasha confirms they are enthusiastic about it as this will be their first WTT.
The rest is about the Team Tutberidze show where they perform, who will be there and so.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thank::rock: ^^^

Yet another example of why they're a good team together:

"Next, who is the leader in their pair, Sasha gives a diplomatic answer about how they started to skate together and how they support each other, aimimg on that they are equal, Nastya than jokingly adds that Tamara Nikolayevna is of course the leader."

Very cute. :love2:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
:thank::rock: ^^^

Yet another example of why they're a good team together:

"Next, who is the leader in their pair, Sasha gives a diplomatic answer about how they started to skate together and how they support each other, aimimg on that they are equal, Nastya than jokingly adds that Tamara Nikolayevna is of course the leader."

Very cute. :love2:
One of the reasons why I like this team is their respect for each other and their coaches, they said in another interview how every pairs element requires equal work from each partner. I just hope they stay healthy and please keep it together at Nationals! :pray:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the reasons why I like this team is their respect for each other and their coaches, they said in another interview how every pairs element requires equal work from each partner. I just hope they stay healthy and please keep it together at Nationals! :pray:
Yes, I was glad to see that! It's a pet peeve of mine when people -- even knowledgeable commentators -- talk as if lifts, twists, or throws are the responsibility of one or the other. The women have to do their part in lifts, and throws aren't just a matter of the woman's landing it. Everything requires such exquisite cooperation and coordination with the partner.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
I'm counting P/R completely out for the moment. They need more than one triple in their programs to be able to compete with the top-tier teams. They might get great GOE in their pair elements, but it's not going to make up for the deficit of underrotated triples or doubles--S/H are here to tell you that, and they are World Champions and Olympics medallists.

On the other hand, besides the three russians and S/H, I think the top is not that crowded. The podium will most likely be one chinese and two russians, I don't see any other international team making a case for themselves at the moment. Maybe Knierim/Frazier if clean. Definitely not any other american or canadian team. And then, who else? The podium in pairs is pretty much set. But sending in a third russian team with good chances of podium, could give Russia more options. And P/R are definitely not that.
Remember Peng/Jin scored nearly 217 at the GPF. If they show up with rotated 3S and add in home ice PCS advantage, they could score 225+ and win a medal

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Remember Peng/Jin scored nearly 217 at the GPF. If they show up with rotated 3S and add in home ice PCS advantage, they could score 225+ and win a medal
It is possible, for sure. But they scored that three years ago. In the current climate, they need to be really clean to win a medal, and still count on other's mistakes. I don't think they're going to score 225 anytime soon, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on that.

FelineFairy

On the Ice
Tamara Moskvina and her pairs were invited to Zenit arena to celebrate their victory with the fans of the local football team. It might seem strange, but both Moskvina with her school and the football team belong to St. Petersburg identity. Galliamov is a Zenit fan anyway, so he and Nastia were interviewed in the pre-match stream, while B/K joined Moskvina to answer questions of the fans. Then they all came to the pitch to get another moment of fame and souvenirs. This is an official video. But there is also another one ( I did not attach it, as it is a 30 minute background of the football match, called Hidden Camera - Скрытая камера) where one can see nice moments how Moskvina prepared her students to present themselves, and also how she noticed the referees ready to go on the pitch and asked if they were footballers, and then after she left the pitch she told the referees to be strict.
https://youtu.be/mA_4yTPcfBQ

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
It was in the absense of Wenjing Sui and Cong Han. They got their points as Chinese team #1. When they compete together Pen/Jing scoring is lower.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Does anyone know what they are saying in the mini-interview at the end?
Yes, of course. :)

Q: Guys. What did you lose on the ice?
AG: I went for the scarf. But thanks to the arena workers, they picked it up and laid on a chair for me not to run back. But who knew it…

Q: Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina asked Anya Shcherbakova to switch for the pairs. Don’t you want to switch for singles in that case, Nastya?
AG: No way, I won’t let her go.
AM: I’m afraid, no. They won’t accept me.

Q: And if Eteri Geogrievna asks?
AM: Then, forgive me, Sasha.
G: Only after my death.

Q: The World Team Trophy is ahead. Will you be able to add the gold there to your WC gold?
AG: Now we are going to continue preparation and there we will show everything and you will see.

Q: We will root for you. Thank you.
AM &AG: Thank you.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was in the absense of Wenjing Sui and Cong Han. They got their points as Chinese team #1. When they compete together Pen/Jing scoring is lower.
If there’s any event where judges will be inclined to score them highly, it will be at a home Olympic Games.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
If there’s any event where judges will be inclined to score them highly, it will be at a home Olympic Games.
Definitely. But I still think they'd need one of the top 2 russians to falter in order to make the podium. B/K and M/G aren't unbeatable, but they have more scoring potential than P/J.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Yes, of course. :)

Q: Guys. What did you lose on the ice?
AG: I went for the scarf. But thanks to the arena workers, they picked it up and laid on a chair for me not to run back. But who knew it…

Q: Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina asked Anya Shcherbakova to switch for the pairs. Don’t you want to switch for singles in that case, Nastya?
AG: No way, I won’t let her go.
AM: I’m afraid, no. They won’t accept me.

Q: And if Eteri Geogrievna asks?
AM: Then, forgive me, Sasha.
G: Only after my death.

Q: The World Team Trophy is ahead. Will you be able to add the gold there to your WC gold?
AG: Now we are going to continue preparation and there we will show everything and you will see.

Q: We will root for you. Thank you.
AM &AG: Thank you.
:thank:
Yay thank you! How lovely they are 😊
You could post this in the youtube comments too - I've seen many interviews of M/G yet without subtitles I never really know what they are saying 😳

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Definitely. But I still think they'd need one of the top 2 russians to falter in order to make the podium. B/K and M/G aren't unbeatable, but they have more scoring potential than P/J.
I agree there, given the base value difference with M/G in particular. They need the jumps, and/or they need things to become as messy as the Torino GPF.