2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, of course. :)

Q: Guys. What did you lose on the ice?
AG: I went for the scarf. But thanks to the arena workers, they picked it up and laid on a chair for me not to run back. But who knew it…

Q: Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina asked Anya Shcherbakova to switch for the pairs. Don’t you want to switch for singles in that case, Nastya?
AG: No way, I won’t let her go.
AM: I’m afraid, no. They won’t accept me.

Q: And if Eteri Geogrievna asks?
AM: Then, forgive me, Sasha.
G: Only after my death.

Q: The World Team Trophy is ahead. Will you be able to add the gold there to your WC gold?
AG: Now we are going to continue preparation and there we will show everything and you will see.

Q: We will root for you. Thank you.
AM &AG: Thank you.
Reiterating how lovely Sasha is, to say "No way, I won't let her go" and "Only after my death." :) Nastya seems like a very well-grounded young woman in her own right, and yet it must also be wonderful to have such verbal support from her partner of what a wonderful skater and partner she herself is, after her earlier experience.

On this subject, a couple of days ago, the CBC commentary with M/G's skate popped up. I believe it's Meagan Duhamel doing part of the wonderful commentary with Kurt Browning (and maybe Debbie?). Anyway, at the end Meagan said something I hadn't heard before, and I wondered if anyone here can confirm, or is it an embellished version or what? She said Nastya's "coach and partner" at the time (2016-17) had said she was too large and if she couldn't get smaller she would no longer be part of the team. I wondered if that's what others understand to be the story. I know that she and Sasha stayed with the same coaches. Of course, one missed detail may be that their coaches agreed that it was risking injury for both, for Mirzoev to continue to be her partner, which I can certainly see. When I watch their videos, even far after the fact, I worry about him, because he seems so frail and too small to be lifting her, for her safety. But there would be a world of difference between saying it that way (which, to give American coach Dalilah Sappenfield credit, is how she always put it) and the way it seemed Meagan characterized.

A second note: It's such a pleasure to re-watch and listen with different commentators (both CBC, and Simon and Chris with Esp2) -- to hear them all using superlatives and rhapsodizing over M/G's skates -- because that's how I saw and experienced it at the time. Both commentating teams even hinted that M/G might indeed become the champions of the event. Which was not at all what most people (around GS, certainly) were thinking, given that they'd be followed by Sui/Han (!) and by Boikova/Kovlozkii, who had several points lead after the short and were expected to perform well during the FS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqmP1HAqW4 - CBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ATPXE4erO-o - Esp 2

SKY1118

Rinkside
Country
Olympic
Nastya's "coach and partner" at the time (2016-17) had said she was too large and if she couldn't get smaller she would no longer be part of the team.
I think Meagan mixed up a bit. It was her previous partner Vladislav Mirzoev said she was too large, which M/M split after winning the JGPF (and have a very good chance to win the JWC). And I think Nastya did mentioned that Mirzoev agreed to split only after the season, so the splitting in the midst of the season was a bit shocking.

Not sure if her coach did say if she was too large, but it seems that Velikova would like to have Mirzoev to continue skating with Nastya when they were splitting, according to the news here (thanks to google translate, but not sure if I understand it 100% accurately).

I am glad that turn out Velikova team up Nastya with Sasha, because they actually looked more harmonized than M/M, and both of them seems to be respecting each other a lot

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Meagan mixed up a bit. It was her previous partner Vladislav Mirzoev said she was too large, which M/M split after winning the JGPF (and have a very good chance to win the JWC). And I think Nastya did mentioned that Mirzoev agreed to split only after the season, so the splitting in the midst of the season was a bit shocking.

Not sure if her coach did say if she was too large, but it seems that Velikova would like to have Mirzoev to continue skating with Nastya when they were splitting, according to the news here (thanks to google translate, but not sure if I understand it 100% accurately).

I am glad that turn out Velikova team up Nastya with Sasha, because they actually looked more harmonized than M/M, and both of them seems to be respecting each other a lot
Thank you so much for your response. I'd never seen that interview, and it clarified a lot. I agree with everything you said. It sounds like the coach was being supportive in wanting the pair to continue, but in Nastya's view the coach also already understood that wasn't realistic. So because of what the article said, I agree that the commentator's interpretation was a bit off. By the way, please someone correct me if I'm wrong about who the CBC commentator is.

I'd also noticed before that Nastya and Sasha paired up immediately, in February 2017. So fortunate! They're simply a stunning pair together.:love::points:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Reiterating how lovely Sasha is, to say "No way, I won't let her go" and "Only after my death." :) Nastya seems like a very well-grounded young woman in her own right, and yet it must also be wonderful to have such verbal support from her partner of what a wonderful skater and partner she herself is, after her earlier experience.

On this subject, a couple of days ago, the CBC commentary with M/G's skate popped up. I believe it's Meagan Duhamel doing part of the wonderful commentary with Kurt Browning (and maybe Debbie?). Anyway, at the end Meagan said something I hadn't heard before, and I wondered if anyone here can confirm, or is it an embellished version or what? She said Nastya's "coach and partner" at the time (2016-17) had said she was too large and if she couldn't get smaller she would no longer be part of the team. I wondered if that's what others understand to be the story. I know that she and Sasha stayed with the same coaches. Of course, one missed detail may be that their coaches agreed that it was risking injury for both, for Mirzoev to continue to be her partner, which I can certainly see. When I watch their videos, even far after the fact, I worry about him, because he seems so frail and too small to be lifting her, for her safety. But there would be a world of difference between saying it that way (which, to give American coach Dalilah Sappenfield credit, is how she always put it) and the way it seemed Meagan characterized.

A second note: It's such a pleasure to re-watch and listen with different commentators (both CBC, and Simon and Chris with Esp2) -- to hear them all using superlatives and rhapsodizing over M/G's skates -- because that's how I saw and experienced it at the time. Both commentating teams even hinted that M/G might indeed become the champions of the event. Which was not at all what most people (around GS, certainly) were thinking, given that they'd be followed by Sui/Han (!) and by Boikova/Kovlozkii, who had several points lead after the short and were expected to perform well during the FS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqmP1HAqW4 - CBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ATPXE4erO-o - Esp 2
Yes, it seems that Meagan mis-remembered some of the history. M/M did not win Junior worlds together, although they did get silver and were JGPF champions. Also M/G moved coaches only last year whereas Meagan's interpretation gave the impression that Nastya found Sasha later on and only achieved success under Moskvina.

I think that the third commentator was Carol Lane, she remarked on the Choreographic touches in their FS (and I also remember her voice from the lovely free dance of G/P!)

Fun note: I actually requested the CBC version to be put on youtube, after seeing this thread: https://twitter.com/twistandtwizzle/status/1376590557384966150
It's a collection of reactions to their SBS 3Ts 😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU6G5IKs9-4 - ISU

yqs100

On the Ice
wondering if there is any “secret” weapon with M/G that we haven’t seen, may reveal it next season? 😉

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure there's anything we haven't seen from them already. They were clear to say that there's no quad throw or twist in the works, and it seems like even changing up the content is not happening soon, but they are definitely working on trying out new elements next quad.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Thanks @flanker! :)

I'm guessing sport-express.ru is a reliable source. It says Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Briukhanov have left the Velikovs.
(A/K to Fedor Klimov)
You're welcome.

Seems like a bigger exodus from Velikovs after Mishina/Galliamov moved to Moskvina. Though I'm curious whether A/K would stay together as they were said they intended to split last summer.

yqs100

On the Ice
I'm not sure there's anything we haven't seen from them already. They were clear to say that there's no quad throw or twist in the works, and it seems like even changing up the content is not happening soon, but they are definitely working on trying out new elements next quad.
To play safe, maybe they won’t show.....

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
To play safe, maybe they won’t show.....
I'm not sure they need to do that. At the moment, they are the pair with the highest base value out of all in the world. Only B/K are going to get close if they manage to put a 3-3 in their FS. Also, I'm not sure Moskvina is in the business of hiding anything at this point. Take a look at their programs this season, they are the team that probably skated them the most times, so it's not like no one knew what they could do.

yqs100

On the Ice
I'm not sure they need to do that. At the moment, they are the pair with the highest base value out of all in the world. Only B/K are going to get close if they manage to put a 3-3 in their FS. Also, I'm not sure Moskvina is in the business of hiding anything at this point. Take a look at their programs this season, they are the team that probably skated them the most times, so it's not like no one knew what they could do.
But have to count in the inflation of “host” on the PCS if they really want to beat Sui/Han

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is true. But Galliamov mentioned in one of the interviews (when asked) that they're upping their content nevertheless. His example was that they improved their death spiral this season and brought it up to a consistent level 4.

It goes along with what Chris said on the B Esp commentary, that M/G were "just ticking the boxes, picking up points all over the place." They've refined and polished their elements until it's the quality of everything they do (plus their base value higher than anyone else's) that made them unbeatable this time. I think this added to the surprise that everyone felt over their win. They sneaked up, passed their competitors rather calmly and rounded the corner before people realized it!