2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
News from Carreira/Ponomarenko:

The music for their new FD is Dr. Zhivago.

(They are keeping their RD from last season.)​

They made the announcement during their new interview with Ted Barton, which was published today (one of his interviews tied to the ISU's current streaming of Junior Worlds from 2017 - 2019).

litenkyckling

Final Flight
News from Carreira/Ponomarenko:

The music for their new FD is Dr. Zhivago.

(They are keeping their RD from last season.)​

They made the announcement during their new interview with Ted Barton, which was published today (one of his interviews tied to the ISU's current streaming of Junior Worlds from 2017 - 2019).

I feel like this is the first FD they've done that might be more character led, since everything else they've done has been more interpretive - very interested to see how they approach this.

Ted is so good at interviews, he really seems to be able to put people at ease. Anthony and Christina always seem to come across as very friendly and it's good to see that they can laugh at themselves! Also - they suddenly appear very adult (I know they are adults, but y'know)

heartyxo

On the Ice
I’ve already mentioned it in the program announcement thread, but good lord Igor needs to stop repeating C/B programs for his teams!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I feel like this is the first FD they've done that might be more character led, since everything else they've done has been more interpretive - very interested to see how they approach this.

Ted is so good at interviews, he really seems to be able to put people at ease. Anthony and Christina always seem to come across as very friendly and it's good to see that they can laugh at themselves! Also - they suddenly appear very adult (I know they are adults, but y'know)

:hopelessness: I posted in this thread (in the early morning here :yawn: :drama:) without having seen that you already had posted in the Programs thread :thank:.

I too enjoyed Ted's interview with the friendly Christina and Anthony. :agree:

And I am really liking the new "Ted's Takes" videos with his commentary on the top programs after each segment of Junior Worlds has streamed.

ETA:

"... We’re so excited to show you our new program next week during the ISP point challenge ...," adds Christina this morning on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE6fAb-pYcx/ (Sep 9)​

dancelion21

On the Ice
During the IAM livestream today, Hubbell/Donohue showed off a new rhythm dance to Burlesque. It's still very rough around the edges, since it's clear the choreography was finished very recently, and most of the IAM teams were struggling with the intensity after so much time off during quarantine, but it has more promise, and thank god I never have to listen to Daddy again.

Hawayek/Baker performed their rhythm dance from last season, and they included a new lift.

Chock/Bates did not skate since they were injured (speculation, Madi was injured since Evan was spotted in one of Jordan's trial runs skating alone), but they did announce that they had a new program (did not mention if it was a free program or rhythm dance, but Romain said that every team got a new FD, so I'm assuming it's a free).

theharleyquinn

Medalist
During the IAM livestream today, Hubbell/Donohue showed off a new rhythm dance to Burlesque. It's still very rough around the edges, since it's clear the choreography was finished very recently, and most of the IAM teams were struggling with the intensity after so much time off during quarantine, but it has more promise, and thank god I never have to listen to Daddy again.

Hawayek/Baker performed their rhythm dance from last season, and they included a new lift.

Chock/Bates did not skate since they were injured (speculation, Madi was injured since Evan was spotted in one of Jordan's trial runs skating alone), but they did announce that they had a new program (did not mention if it was a free program or rhythm dance, but Romain said that every team got a new FD, so I'm assuming it's a free).

This IAM event was kind of marketed strangely. I didn't realize it would be mostly practice sessions as supposed to close-to-ready programs. Teams were skipping the Finnstep entirely.

That being said, this new RD is a step up for H/D. It seems like they're going into this season with a lot more inspiration and fight. This program has much more vision than last year's. I'm just hoping they get better lifts. Maybe Scott Moir's choreography for the FD will give them some ideas of what's possible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The first (AFAIK?) U.S. ice dance scores of this season are from Colorado Springs Invitational today.

Junior RD was followed barely 70 minutes later by Junior FD.
It was the debut for two new junior partnerships, Isabella Flores/Dima Tsarevski and Leah Neset/Artem Markelov.
I hope that both couples have a good chance of making it to Nationals. 🙏
(FWIW, just as a very rough comparison, their scores for both segments were as good as or better than 2019 Cannon Texas Open scores for Ling/Wein. Not a criticism of L/W, whom I like -- I was just trying to find an early-season "benchmark" from a partnership that was new a year ago.)

Some nice moments from Flores/Tsarevski, who won the FD and won overall. (And they are really fun to follow on Instagram.)
Neset/Markelov won the RD (by 0.11). To my eyes, they already show a quality of "effortless."

ETA (on Sep 15):​
Video of beginning of Flores/Tsarevski's tango FD at Colorado Springs Invitational:​

ETA (on Sep 24):​
More video from F/T's tango FD at CSI:​
I enjoyed learning about Dima from what he shared in his long post yesterday:​

In between the junior segments was Pre-Juvenile FD, with one entry. The adorable couple of Finley Young/Daniel Dostatni unfortunately had to restart their program after two music glitches near the beginning.
They went on to give a charming performance to Sound of Music (The Lonely Goatherd).

ETA (on Sep 15):

For Junior Dance, first round of virtual ISP Points Challenge videos and results were published today.​
Participants (listed in skate order): Tkachenko/Kiliakov; Ling/Wein; Del Camp/Somerville; Wolfkostin/Chen.​

For Senior Dance, first round will be published on Tue Sep 22.​

ETA (on Sep 18):

- Yesterday's new article by Christie Sausa:​
Wolfkostin and Chen Strive for Continued Success in Second Season Together

- Unrelated comment:​
Hope that next year U.S. Novice and Junior Challenge Skate once again can be a live competition, and that it once again will include dance, as it has in the past. Sorry to see that this year's virtual counterpart does not include dance.​

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just watched Christina Carriera and Anthony Ponomorenko's FD to Dr Zhivago, and .... Wowie. I've never seen Anthony so wild and passionate. Usually he seems to be rather measured and classical, but always happy to be skating.

This music, though, really brings out something in him. He even let his curls grow out to match the wild, abandoned skating! Christina seems, to me, both keeping up the mood and acting as sort of a cooler influence. I love this program for them so much! I have loved their skating since I first saw them. This program is a wonderful expression of their versatility and taking their skating in a new direction. Of course, I never get tired of Dr. Zhivago, so there's that. :)

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I do like this programme for C/P so far but some of it still feels patched together a touch - I found the curved and straight line lift very similar in the poses that were hit and so they didn't stand out the same. That being said, I think that they have such a good connection with both each other and the music which is such a strength of theirs imo. I think in full costume and later in the season (if that exists) this will be a good vehicle for them.

In terms of Gr/Pa - she has grown. They are very good together, but I think concerns that she would get too tall for him are... valid. Such a shame - but they may be able to make it work if she doesn't get much taller. Love that they changed the RD - so much better suited to them and feels more age appropriate. I like their FD in that Micheal really sells it, they look like they are having fun and who doesn't love some Prince? However, I think it's a little disjointed and perhaps too many pieces of music are used and so I was left confused tbh.

Also good on these teams for having completed programmes and for being at a competitive level of fitness - this was very much missing a Gadbois just the week before these were filmed.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't notice any of your criticisms of C/P ^^^ ... but I agree completely about their connection with each other and with the music, which are two of the most important qualities for me in ice dance, along with expression of emotion. Anthony really let his emotions rip in Dr. Zhivago. 🥰 ... in a delightful way. Passionate beauty is what I think of when I think of the movie.

You're right about Caroline seeming to have grown already. They're so good together ... I think a size discrepancy can be overcome. Personally, I hope Michael doesn't overcompensate with the overdramatic, but that's just me. I've only watched their FD so far.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I do like this programme for C/P so far but some of it still feels patched together a touch - I found the curved and straight line lift very similar in the poses that were hit and so they didn't stand out the same. That being said, I think that they have such a good connection with both each other and the music which is such a strength of theirs imo. I think in full costume and later in the season (if that exists) this will be a good vehicle for them.

In terms of Gr/Pa - she has grown. They are very good together, but I think concerns that she would get too tall for him are... valid. Such a shame - but they may be able to make it work if she doesn't get much taller. Love that they changed the RD - so much better suited to them and feels more age appropriate. I like their FD in that Micheal really sells it, they look like they are having fun and who doesn't love some Prince? However, I think it's a little disjointed and perhaps too many pieces of music are used and so I was left confused tbh.

Also good on these teams for having completed programmes and for being at a competitive level of fitness - this was very much missing a Gadbois just the week before these were filmed.
I don't know if this was the case in Quebec, but in Ontario even when ice rinks opened it was a while before dancers/pairs were allowed to skate close together. If that rule was in Quebec as well, that may be part of the reason, but I don't know for sure.

Anyways, yes both teams looked pretty ready which was nice to see.

I loved C/P's FD immediately - they worked hard on the flamenco, but this really brings out their best qualities much more imo. Also loved G/P's FD (especially Michael), but agree that it's a little disjointed at the moment. I think they can probably smooth it out with more mileage without changing the music.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I don't know if this was the case in Quebec, but in Ontario even when ice rinks opened it was a while before dancers/pairs were allowed to skate close together. If that rule was in Quebec as well, that may be part of the reason, but I don't know for sure.
I'm not totally sure then they were all back on the ice, but Christina had an injury in her foot so she took longer to get back AFAIK

dancelion21

On the Ice
In her Instagram stories, Madison Hubbell said she was ready for the first competition of the season, so it looks like she and Zach will be participating in the second ISP Challenge. None of the Gadbois teams participated in the first ISP Challenge, so I'm curious to see if Hawaye/Baker or Chock/Bates will be at this one. I expect H/B to be there since they were much more polished in the IAM Live earlier this month, but C/B didn't skate at the IAM Live due to injury, so I'm not sure if they'll be competition ready now, only three weeks later.

dancelion21

On the Ice
In a new Instagram story from On Ice Perspectives, it looks like he filmed the rhythm dance for Hawayek/Baker and Hubbell/Donohue. Since Chock/Bates weren't in the posts, feels safe to assume that they opted out due to recently returning to the ice thanks to injury. We can speculate if this hurts/helps politically.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I’m officially super worried about C/B. I think there’s a decent chance they’re gonna lose momentum and lose out politically, especially if H/D have improved programs. I also hope she’s okay and it’s not 2017-18 again. I heard Russian forums talking about her getting a concussion (I don’t know where they got it from but it’s possible?) so it could be worse than a “small injury”.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue are on the entry list for the Leesburg event (Dec 1 - 5) of the Championship Series.

ETA (on Oct 12):​
Belatedly occurs to me that even top five from 2020 Nats (who therefore have byes to 2021 Nats) were required as usual to register for USFS qualifying season -- i.e., for this season, to register both for the Championship Series as a whole and for one Championship Series competition. Does not necessarily mean that skaters with a bye have any intention of competing at the Championship Series competition for which they registered.​

Junior Dance entry list for Leesburg:
Brown, Oona/Brown, Gage​
Cain, Claire/Colucci, Alexander​
Carhart, Helena/Horovyi, Volodymyr​
DelCamp, Katarina/Somerville, Ian​
Guberman, Mila/Soto, Joshua​
Kiliakov, Alexei/Tkachenko, Elizabeth​
Ling, Angela/Wein, Caleb​
Neset, Leah/Markelov, Artem​
Peal, Elliana/Peal, Ethan​
Pham, Vanessa/Rogers, Jonathan​
Ritter, Samantha/Wang, Jim​
Schaub, Kelsey/Eckert, Kenny​
Shadid, Juliette/Shadid, Lucas​
Vainik, Gracie/Brykalov, Daniel​
Wolfkostin, Katarina/Chen, Jeffrey​

Senior Dance entry list for Leesburg:
Asher, Hilary/O'Donnell, Ryan​
Cesanek, Molly/Yehorov, Yehor​
Chock, Madison/Bates, Evan​
Domonoske, Sophia/Udell, Garrett​
Green, Caroline/Parsons, Michael​
Hubbell, Madison/Donohue, Zachary​
McNamara, Lorraine/Spiridonov, Anton​
Murphy, Cara/Levitt, Joshua​
Reynolds, Elicia/Reynolds, Stephen​
Shilling, Livvy/Petrov, Alexander​
Taylor, Breelie/Vollmer, Tyler​

As for Novice entries, the former partnership of Jenna Hauer/Benjamin Starr apparently is back together.

The other Dance event in the series is in Fort Wayne (Nov 17 - 20).

ETA (on Oct 20):​

Junior Dance start order for Fort Wayne RD:​

1 Vanessa Pham / Jonathan Rogers (SC of Houston / Texas Gulf Coast FSC)
2 Angela Ling / Caleb Wein (Peninsula SC / Washington FSC)
3 Elizabeth Tkachenko / Alexei Kiliakov (Washington FSC / Washington FSC)
4 Katarina DelCamp / Ian Somerville (Dallas FSC / Washington FSC)

5 Juliette Shadid / Lucas Shadid (All Year FSC / All Year FSC)
6 Isabella Flores / Dimitry Tsarevski (Broadmoor SC / All Year FSC)
7 Elliana Peal / Ethan Peal (Scott Hamilton SC / Scott Hamilton SC)
8 Gracie Vainik / Daniel Brykalov (SC of Novi / All Year FSC)
9 Samantha Ritter / Jim Wang (All Year FSC / St. Paul FSC)

10 Kelsey Schaub / Kenny Eckert (IceWorks SC / IceWorks SC)
11 Katarina Wolfkostin / Jeffrey Chen (Peninsula SC / Peninsula SC)
12 Leah Neset / Artem Markelov (Magic City FSC / Magic City FSC)
13 Claire Cain / Alexander Colucci (Washington FSC / Philadelphia SC & HS)
14 Mila Guberman / Joshua Soto (SC of New York / Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights)

printed at: 10/18/2020 9:52:54PM​

Senior Dance start order for Fort Wayne RD:​

1 Livvy Shilling / Alexander Petrov (Columbus FSC / Hershey FSC)
2 Hilary Asher / Ryan ODonnell (Skokie Valley SC / SC of Houston)
3 Breelie Taylor / Tyler Vollmer (Atlanta FSC / Los Angeles FSC)
4 Molly Cesanek / Yehor Yehorov (ION FSC / Peninsula SC)

5 Cara Murphy / Joshua Levitt (Arctic FSC / Pittsburgh FSC)
6 Elicia Reynolds / Stephen Reynolds (Ice Line FSC / Ice Line FSC)
7 Lorraine McNamara / Anton Spiridonov (Peninsula SC / ION FSC)
8 Caroline Green / Michael Parsons (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights / Washington FSC)
9 Eva Pate / Logan Bye (Strongsville SC / SC of New York)

printed at: 10/18/2020 9:52:59PM​

ETA (on Oct 6):

Five Things You May Not Know, Caroline Green and Michael Parsons:

https://youtu.be/BCmM1bBImsA (0:55, published on YT on Oct 5)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF41_aTA-JX/ (Oct 3)​

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Senior Rhythm Dance from Second ISP Challenge

Starting Order: McNamara/Spiridonov, Pate/Bye, Cesanek/Yehorov, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Hawayek/Baker, Hubbell/Donohue

Personally, I don't like H/D's new RD. It really drags in the second half, and while it's better than listening to Daddy again, it feels a little empty to me.

oly2018

Final Flight
The scoring here is interesting. Christina and Anthony need to clean things up considerably if they want to maintain their number 4 spot. I am starting to think Igor may have done what he can for them....