2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree. i think the smart thing for her to do is have someone manage her public profile that she has now, and she can have her own private account for friends/family only.

She could also just privatize her social media accounts. Mariah Bell did that during the whole Eunsoo-fiasco so that she would stop receiving death threats and hateful comments on a daily basis.

frida80

Record Breaker
Agree. i think the smart thing for her to do is have someone manage her public profile that she has now, and she can have her own private account for friends/family only.

One the reasons I hate sharing social media accounts of juniors is because I strongly feel they should have privacy and protection from trolls. I love that I got a chance to see a glimpse into their personalities, but I’d be far happier if I knew they were protected from cyber bullying.

I think as soon as any athlete is officially Team USA, their own social media accounts should be privatized and the get an official one that is managed by a third party. They should still have the chance to interact with friends and have controlled interactions with fans. However, a little girl shouldn’t have to deal with so much negativity. Also, I think her dad should limit how much time she spends on her social media accounts. The temptation to google is terrible.

When Gracie mentioned how much people were going to bash her after 2016 Worlds, it gave me a glimpse into how toxic messages can affect skaters. I know several other athletes in multiple different sports struggled with cyber bullying. It’s frustrating. I think USOC, USFS and need to do a better job protecting athletes from attacks like this.

katymay

Medalist

She has a management and public relations team, I would assume they would handle this. (I assume they DO handle this). I've seen very little negative on different social media accounts, so I assume they are doing their job. (I don't regularly see all social media-but what I do see-seems to be highly regulated as to Liu)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She’s just 14. I can’t understand it at all. She didn’t invent prerotation. Many other skaters have done them for ages, but have never had the onslaught at this level.

I think since a lot of fandoms have gotten used to US ladies being underdogs, they find her a threat. I’ve noticed some negativity towards promising new skaters a few times. However, Alysa is a huge target moreso because USFS keeps promoting her. They just reposted her 4Lz from the JGP a few days ago, saying she made history. There was no real reason to post it all of a sudden. They’re not helping this situation.

Alysa wouldn’t get the hate if she weren’t a threat. There are rabid fans in every discipline who don’t like to see their skaters threatened. Which is sad because it’s nice to see one of the few Americans who can challenge for the World podium exhibit such amazing technical ability.

Some might just be salty thinking women doing quads can only be a Tutberidze/Russian thing.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Alysa wouldn’t get the hate if she weren’t a threat. There are rabid fans in every discipline who don’t like to see their skaters threatened. Which is sad because it’s nice to see one of the few Americans who can challenge for the World podium exhibit such amazing technical ability.

Some might just be salty thinking women doing quads can only be a Tutberidze/Russian thing.

This is somewhat true, but it's also worth noting that Alysa has a good number of fans in Russia, as well. There are always going to be trolls out there, but I wouldn't overreact to them or generalize that it's an entire country that's against her.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Loved Golden Skate’s new article about Alysa! I think she has a great mindset about sport and life! Hopefully she improves her skating skills next season and continues to move forward with confidence!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

It's a shame cause from her side she has always had good words of admiration for Tutberidze skaters and she looks like a super nice girl, who is having fun on the ice.

Ultimately more competition is better for the sport in general, even for the russians in the end.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
This is somewhat true, but it's also worth noting that Alysa has a good number of fans in Russia, as well. There are always going to be trolls out there, but I wouldn't overreact to them or generalize that it's an entire country that's against her.

I actually notice that a lot on Twitter. I have seen lots of pictures of her with Russian writing in tweets. No idea what they are saying but they are very pretty pictures of Alysa with lots of hearts and positive emojis so I assume they are not hate tweets!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
We can all learn from these young skaters who can admire and support each other across borders... love it!!

concorde

Medalist
Yes I call IceWorks like every other day to see if they are open yet.

IceWorks is in Delaware County, PA. That county (along with most of the Philly suburbs) is moving to Green a week from today. I expect that Ice Works will open that day (June 26).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
We can all learn from these young skaters who can admire and support each other across borders... love it!!

Exactly, that's the whole point really. Generally it's not the skaters (from whichever country) pouring out hatred, it's a certain kind of fans. The same kind that also puts hatred forward to little girls elsewhere. Let's just take the example from skaters, not from people who are obsessed with one specific skater and hate all others. For good order: I really don't mind if anyone is obsessed with a particular skater (I have my own favourites to be honest), I do mind if that means the same anyone uses vitriolic language towards any other skater. Period. And towards children in particular.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IceWorks is in Delaware County, PA. That county (along with most of the Philly suburbs) is moving to Green a week from today. I expect that Ice Works will open that day (June 26).

Thanks!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly, that's the whole point really. Generally it's not the skaters (from whichever country) pouring out hatred, it's a certain kind of fans. The same kind that also puts hatred forward to little girls elsewhere. Let's just take the example from skaters, not from people who are obsessed with one specific skater and hate all others. For good order: I really don't mind if anyone is obsessed with a particular skater (I have my own favourites to be honest), I do mind if that means the same anyone uses vitriolic language towards any other skater. Period. And towards children in particular.

I’m obsessed with Gracie but I hope I never say something bad about another skater. I could never be Ted Barton but I can strive to emulate him.

katymay

Medalist
As I predicted after Junior Worlds, Alysa Liu has made a coaching change. As I said then, it isn't that she doesn't have a good coach, she did and does, but I assumed she would leave in order to have a more competitive environment in which to train.

macy

Record Breaker
As I predicted after Junior Worlds, Alysa Liu has made a coaching change. As I said then, it isn't that she doesn't have a good coach, she did and does, but I assumed she would leave in order to have a more competitive environment in which to train.

where did you hear this? who did she go to?

macy

Record Breaker
TSL reports that she is working with Massimo Scali for the time being and then moving to Lee Barkell

so she is in Detroit now and then moving on to Toronto? interesting.

i think its a great move. Scali is a past ice dancer and she will train with Satoko Miyahara, the current queen of Japanese artistry. i'm happy she will have a wonderful role model to look up to as she develops her PCS components.

i wonder if Barkell will be the one to work on her jumps, or will it be someone else? i don't know much about him or if he's a good technician.

macy

Record Breaker
Did something happen between them?

i doubt it. she's at a point in her career where branching out and developing the rest of her skating outside of the jumps is critical. i think she probably just outgrew her and knew it was time to move on.