2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1A party for the boys at 2022 4CC. 😂 Canadian men pls find your axels!! 😩
I've noticed that both Joseph and Corey didn't get their TES minimum for Worlds. 😭

Quotes from 4CC.
Joseph Phan

(on preparation for this competition after the Canadian Nationals) It took me a couple of days to recover from it, because it’s Canadians, it takes a lot out of you. When I came back, we just started pushing right away for this competition and it was going well. I really wanted that third place (at the Canadian nationals) because I came fourth two time before that, so it’s my third time being fourth, always so close to the podium, to it’s frustrating.

(goals for 4CC and on performance today) To do my best, be happy with my performances. I was actually happy with my performance today, just the pop in the Axel, it was very costly, for my long that will be a focus on my axels.

(on travel problems, did they affect his performance?) On Wednesday we were stuck on the plane for 8 hours, just sitting there because they had to fix the engine. And so when we got off, as we were going to fly tomorrow, actually two hours after we left, they flew. So our luggage was still there, for quite some time. So, I think they opened it at some point and then tried to wrap it and tape it, and when it got to me, it was still open, I was scared that I lost something, but I think I lost one piece of clothing, at least it wasn’t my costume or anything. Today it didn’t really affect my performance, to be honest, just my axel was off today, I struggled with it today.

Corey Cirelli

(on the skate today) A bit frustrated with myself after the first mistake, I really didn’t need to (do that – he popped the Axel) It’s my first championship event and am a bit nervous. I’ve never done the Four Continents and I was told I’d go and I was excited. I grew up watching it. It’s a big thing.

(on the travel here) It was a disaster. We haven’t even been here for 16 hours. We got here last night around 7pm and then we were lucky enough to be given 30 minutes on the practice rink. Our first flight was cancelled because in Toronto we had a crazy snowstorm. Which also prevented us from skating so Monday we didn’t get to skate, Sunday we didn’t get to skate last week. We tried to travel again on Tuesday and our bags got lost because there was a 10 hour delay and the bags were here before us so we are kind of doing with the flow. We got stuck in the elevator last night we took all the emergency numbers we were on the 21st floor and the doors would not open but we are here in the end.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I found new interviews with two of our soon-to-be Olympians.

Roman Sadovsky on CTV Your Morning:

Madeline Schizas on CHCH News:

Thank you for posting these! Here in the US we get such scripted responses to these kinds of interviews from our skaters, but in both of these, you really get a sense of the skater’s genuine personality. Neither Roman nor Maddie hesitates to be their true self, which is refreshing, and delightful!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A new fluff piece with Piper & Paul called "Keeping It Slow and Steady":

The original CBC.ca link (which may be geoblocked outside of Canada): https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1993607747611

The duo also have their own Team Canada TV commercial:

Related promotional images:
Paul-_-Piper-Tile-Card.jpg

Paul-_-Piper.jpg

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Corey and especially Joseph did much better in the LP. Bravo to our 4CC men !!!! As you can imagine, i am thrilled with Joseph's skate. If only he had not popped his 3a in the SP, he would have scored nicely but still a season;s best at 220 and dust !

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I always enjoy watching Canadian men (even when they pop axels in the SP), because of their great skating, and today both young men did very well at 4CC. Especially Joseph who had a wonderful FS. That was some programme. I've actually watched it twice already.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Both Joseph and Corey earned Personal Best scores for the free skate! 👏 There are no individual YouTube vids of the Canadian guys' long programs, so for those of you who don't want to search hours of footage, I provide these links for your convenience.

2022 Joseph Phan 4CC LP (ISU 1080p):

2022 Corey Circelli 4CC LP (ISU 1080p): https://streamable.com/esoymo (As always, Dailymotion hates Corey's music choices.)

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was just watching the 4CC Gala, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Joseph was invited to perform! 😀 It's the same exhibition number that he used at the 2019 Nationals, but my link for that specific performance was removed a long time ago, so I'm happy to share it "again." His skating is so divine! 😇

2022 Joseph Phan 4CC Ex (ISU 1080p): https://streamable.com/78246n (Dailymotion detests "Hallelujah".)

More quotes from 4CC.
Corey Cirelli

Overall I was pretty pleased with it. It felt like there are a lot of quality things. It’s nice to do the first two bigger jumps, get them nailed on an international stage. I wish I could do better, but I was pretty pleased. It was super fun.

(on what was taken on the first ISU championship) OMG, so much! To skate in front of big audience. I used to skate more on junior events which is quieter. It was super fun. I really enjoy it. Apart from that, it’s such an intense level. Everyone was so focused. It really puts you in a position where you just want to better yourself. It is super exciting, and makes me hungry for more.

(on transforming from ice dance) I was kind of a rink rat at a young age, like I was always there. It was something that coaches were like “let’s just do as much as we can to fill up your day”. At one point, around 14 or 15, I was like “it wasn’t really for me”. It didn’t grab my attention or satisfy me personally whereas my singles (skating) did. I just wanted to go with that and I couldn’t be happier.

(on whether training in ice dance has helped in his singles) It’s such a dream. From ice dance, I think you definitely learn music, rhythm and timing. But at the same time, my most take away from that is probably the ability to skate to so many genres. I feel like I have a good base of what music I can do. I tried a lot of different things.

Joseph Phan

I’m very happy, I was so nervous, going into my program. From experience at my last competition, it tends to work well but I didn’t end up like influence my skate today. I just stayed focused today, like I did at Canadians, and just do what I had to do, and everything worked out at the end.

(on experience from this competition) It was just a crazy adventure coming here and this is the shortest I’ve been at an international competition, because we are leaving tomorrow morning and we arrived Thursday night. And so, it is short, but I still did really well, and it shows that no matter what you are still able to fight.

(on his season) It was a roller-coaster. Actually, it was nothing, nothing, nothing and then a lot of competitions and it was rough at the beginning, and it slowly got better.

(new goals) It’s definitely to completely heal my knee injury and after that work towards the Olympics in four years. The goal before that it would be just to do well, at any competition to do my best, enjoy my process.

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a question; Wesley is presumably the first alternate for the Olympics, but since a member of his coaching team had tested positive for COVID just before 4CC (and Wesley had to withdraw from the event), does that mean he won't be allowed to enter Beijing in a hypothetical scenario where either Keegan or Roman are injured/have COVID?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have a question; Wesley is presumably the first alternate for the Olympics, but since a member of his coaching team had tested positive for COVID just before 4CC (and Wesley had to withdraw from the event), does that mean he won't be allowed to enter Beijing in a hypothetical scenario where either Keegan or Roman are injured/have COVID?
it depends... if Wesley managed not to get it ... it also depends on testing negative prior to the games, which he may be able to do (assuming he had it) ... and finally, will Canada fly in alternates early enough??? Of course, they should just send Jo ;) and of course, I am biased.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate Canada just released promotional images of the Olympic-bound men's singles and ice dancers.

FJ5qb-HXwAUtCDp.jpg

FJ5qOMVWQAEhLOH.jpg

FJ6F5zaXwAItRli.jpg

FJ6F597XsAErxGJ.jpg

FJ6F6IIWQAYIxP9.jpg

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
instead of hometown/ville natale

they could just have written : lviing in or located or residence or training location or a different bunch of things ;) which all can be translated easily to French or any language.... it's just skate canada being silly again... i mean... what else is new?

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Nope, so far SC hasn't posted similar images for Madeline or the pairs teams, which is odd. :scratch2: But the fact that they uploaded the guys first and then the ice dancers show that these two disciplines are the most popular in Canada.
Pairs and Madeline actually went up a day earlier than men and dance on Skate Canada's Instagram:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
@GoneWithTheWind My mistake, I was relying on my Facebook feed, and for some reason, Madeline and the pairs never showed up there. (I don't use any other social media platform, and I'm in fact blocked from viewing the Instagram photos that you've shared because I don't have an account -- all I see is the Instagram login page.) I did some digging around and found the full images.

FJ0UB6-XwAQZQiV.jpg

FJ1Ysb4WUAEo5ih.jpg

FJ1YsnTXMAIDRZh.jpg

Last edited: