2021-22 Russian Nationals: Pairs' FS | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Nationals: Pairs' FS

Greta

On the Ice
So I've loved Mishina/Galliamov since their junior days, but can we talk about how her euler always looks like a step-out? I know she's not the only skater who does this but it always throws me off, score-wise.
It seems to be worse this year than last year, so hopefully they’ll work on it.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Also, this is the best competition B/K had since Euros 2020. Right in time for the Olympics
Boikova should wear that amazing outfit she had on for the draw more often! I knew as soon as I saw it that she was intending to send a message that they were not to be trifled with.

And wasn’t Kozlovsky crying in the KnC? You…don’t see that with pairs men that often. It is obvious just how much this competition means to both of them.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boikova should wear that smashing red dress for the FS in other programs in the future!

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
What a competition. I love B they were on fire. They have more charisma on the ice. When they're on form they are magnificent. So pleased been waiting for them to bring it .Think M and G technically more steady on the jumps though. T and M such a beautiful program . Exciting stuff. Love Denis and Daria and Julia and her partner. Russian pairs are just so exciting to watch.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Preacher's Kid. good night!
Ah I was thinking you thought I lived in Korea or something :laugh:.

Nah, my father is just providing the music and I have to do the Power Point presentation so the people can sing along.

Having done that though it's time to catch up on the Pairs!

Group 1-

Anastasia and Dima kick off the event with a bang! What a wonderful skate! I watched this before heading to church because my parents internet came back and I was explaining to Mum that skaters often pick older songs, she agreed, but then who doesn't love a bit of Sinatra.

Katia and Ilya surprised me in a good way, when they came out I called "Romeo and Juliet" program...but no Figaro! Although when Ted announced "Addams Family" I totally went what the... :laugh: Shame about the falls but I still enjoyed them! More Figaro in skating I say!

Katia and Evgeni M - Aha here's the Addams Family! But costumes still not right. And the lift, oh dear :( but he got her down safe and that's the important thing! I kinda like his costume close up, nice use of purple.

Katia and Matvei - I remember this program! And I love the Bonnie and Clyde music! Look at them go! What a fun program! Such great energy from them! 🤩 Finger guns FTW!

OMG the avocado stuffies! I have a Christmas shirt with an avocado on it in Christmas lights that says "Avo a Great Christmas" ;) 🥑
Oh good, they grabbed some icecream
Icons!

Oh at first I thought they were in second and was like 😳 but no first for now!

Group 2

Wow check out that eyeshadow! You could see it from space!

Feodor sighting! 🥰

Vovan!! Much nicer warm up outfit today ☺️

And our nemesis...the sky-cam drone thing. Someone knock it down!

Natalia/Ilia - Ilia immediately receives extra points for red hair ;)

OK it's pretty cool seeing the jumps like that...but no lifts, spins or death spirals please.

Yikes what happened in the middle there?! Just a little slip I guess, no element seems to be missing.

Drama ending! Third in the FS, but are 1st overall right now.

Karina and Nikita - OMG the Bee Gees?!? The costumes!!! This is the best thing ever! I'm gonna do some disco dancing as I sit here.

This is quality...if Fedor K suggested this he's a genius :biggrin:

That ending! 🤩 All the performance points for them!

Ha ha the woman coach of this team looks like she just stepped out of the 80s. I think that jacket has shoulder pads 😅

Into first!

Isamina and Ivan - It's nice of Petr G to share his costume with Ivan ;)

Ah damn the dreaded COMBO! Nice comeback though.

I actually liked that death spiral. Although I've played the Prince of Persia video game there was no lady in it! But then I never got far in it.

Nooo the lift! They did at least get a base level so there were some points!

Speaking of jackets Moskvina looks great! Stylin'!

Aww they look sad with their marks...poor kids

Daria and Denis - Love their Black Swan!
Ugh I just wish they could bring the flips back, it's obvious that salchow isn't Daria's best jump
Ha ha I read this and thought of "backflips" and was seriously confused. Although you gotta admit SBS Backflips would be awesome and right up D&D's alley.

Oh dear it was rather rough, but it kinda fits with the program? Don't think the judges would buy that though.

Aww Daria is disappointed. I hope she can regroup, this team has heaps of promise!

The lift troubles are worrying me a bit...I hope T/M's are safe!

Leaps forward to...

Group 3

Be cool everyone be cool.

Big cheers for Sasha B and Dima and even bigger for Nastya and Sasha G!

Ted got to talk to Moskvina, lucky him :biggrin:

Oh dear a scrolled too much and now I'm REALLY worried about T/M.

I still can't believe they haven't changed costumes...Gray is a terrible choice, they don't stand out at all. I guess Nastya and Sasha G are in gray too, but they don't look the best either.

Wow look at T/M's throw, so huuuuuge! Argh so tempted to skip ahead, but no!

Sigh I miss Sergei V in Team T/M, the team is too big now. As they say, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Ioulia and Mikhail - Awkward moment I don't remember these two at all! Good start though!

Oh dear. Well at least they didn't COMBO!

They're really fast though! Russia should have shelled out for the tech they have in Japan, the I-scope and the rink map. Way superior to this weird spider camera.

They're coming back strong now, great lifts!

Huh what's going on with the Dude...is he arguing with that guy? Is that guy part of the coaching team... Or is it Ioulia and Mikhail's coach. But then he's with Maxim T... what's even going on?

You can tell the nerves are getting to me...

Ted is scaring me...

Oh wait did they add some multi-colour sparkle to Zhenya's costume, that's pretty.

First jumps done!

Twist good.

Combos botched but not enough for a +COMBO.

Throw landed.

Death spiral with superb drama hand, check.

Eek! Other throw not so good.

The lifts are coming...🤞🙏

Come on guys...

Why so many lifts at the end? It's nerve wracking!!!

Wait did they forget something?!

No.

Phew... perhaps the post I read was referring to someone else. You scared me! I thought there were falls!

I know...I know they probably can't win. But they Podiumed!

Gee, being in the KnC must be a barrel of laughs with Eteri. Leave Vovan alone, if he wants to hold that stuffed avocado he can hold it.

Sasha B and Dima - They're here to slay! Look at them go!

The crowd is fully invested.

They're looking like their old selves too. Dima even did a little fist pump! ☺️

Standing O!

OMG that bald coach! Are he and Dima related?! Or maybe just brothers from another mother ;)

Awww, they're so happy!

Nastya and Sasha G - Also here to slay...

I'm a bit distracted...and scrolled ahead so I see that they win. :)

Wait! Just saw Sasha G's diva slide, my day is made.

And the ending pose really does scream champions.

Congratulations Nastya and Sasha G!

And to Sasha B and Dima!

Well I'm happy, Russia has 3 pairs spots and I feel safe in the knowledge T/M can go.

I feel like Team Crystal is going to beat them up over this and call me crazy, but I don't believe that works with Zhenya and Vovan.

Once upon a time they were the new team who snatched wigs. But little by little as they were torn apart for every mistake, they became less and less confident, more and more withdrawn. Watch their earlier programs, Lord of the Dance, Electro Swing. They had confidence then, not the in your face confidence of M/G and B/K but it was there.

I stand by the fact that the unnecessary bile sprayed at them for Candyman is what brought them to this. It's like people didn't realise they could read! Do these same people really think T/M wouldn't find out what they thought? That it wouldn't be soul destroying to know so many people wanted you to fail, not because you're cheaters or bad people or anything but because they didn't like your music, that's it. They wanted you to lose out on your dream because of that and you did. They're obviously stronger than people credit them for...would YOU have stuck around after the Olympics after the season they had?

Yeah this has been said by me before, but I'll always be angry about it. It was so unfair...

I hope they can get an individual medal in the Olympics and then ride off into the sunset happy.

They deserve it.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah I was thinking you thought I lived in Korea or something :laugh:.

Goodness, no! You're an Aussie. I read everything, even when I don't reply. :)
Karina and Nikita - OMG the Bee Gees?!? The costumes!!! This is the best thing ever! I'm gonna do some disco dancing as I sit here.

This is quality...if Fedor K suggested this he's a genius :biggrin:

That ending! 🤩 All the performance points for them!

I am absolutely addicted to that program, and this team!
I still can't believe they haven't changed costumes...Gray is a terrible choice, they don't stand out at all. I guess Nastya and Sasha G are in gray too, but they don't look the best either.

Nah! Nastya and Sasha G are in silvery blue! But I agree T/M should change.
Come on guys...

Why so many lifts at the end? It's nerve wracking!!!

Do teams get more points for piling the lifts at the end? I've wondered about that. T/M did the lifts great today though.
OMG that bald coach! Are he and Dima related?! Or maybe just brothers from another mother ;)

I feel like Team Crystal is going to beat them up over this and call me crazy, but I don't believe that works with Zhenya and Vovan.

I agree. But on the other hand, maybe Trankov's remark after the SP about the lift did trigger something good. As Ted remarked, all of the lifts were great today, and Vovan looked very solid and secure with them, plus good ice coverage.

If you read Paula's article about the event, Evgenia did say that there's a lot positive that they can take away from this. So that sounds hopeful to me.

Jungle2

Rinkside
Do you know why they put these "ears" on their heads? In Russia, all couples are given affectionate nicknames based on their surnames (sometimes, however, not by last name - Tarasov/Morozov is called "рыжики"- "little redheads"). Mishina/Gallyamov are called by a nickname based on Nastya's last name - "mishki" ("cub bears","taddy bears")
Hi! Do you remember cartoon the adventures of the gummy bears from the 80-s. Russian fans call Mishina-Galliamov gummy bears (mishki-gummy) as they are so cute as characters from that cartoon and they last names together sound like the phrase gummy bears in Russian.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
'Too many cooks spoil the broth'

(I looked up this saying... is it right?)

I haven't heard that version, but I've heard "Too many cooks in the kitchen". Same idea.

This is fascinating, the comparing phrases theme that has appeared on here over the past week or so.

I haven't heard the version used by @SnowWhite, but I hear and use the version @snowflake used all the time.

I wonder if this is yet another different sides of the Atlantic thing?

Although, I was always under the impression that the English spoken in Canada was more like British English than American English...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hi! Do you remember cartoon the adventures of the gummy bears from the 80-s. Russian fans call Mishina-Galliamov gummy bears (mishki-gummy) as they are so cute as characters from that cartoon and they last names together sound like the phrase gummy bears in Russian.

As somebody who was born in the 80's, I absolutely loved that cartoon!!!

And it had such an epic theme tune. Here are the opening titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZH7B498gE

And here is the full-length version of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McWeeyUwv30

Boys, watching those videos brings back happy memories!

CaroLiza_fan

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is fascinating, the comparing phrases theme that has appeared on here over the past week or so.

I haven't heard the version used by @SnowWhite, but I hear and use the version @snowflake used all the time.

I wonder if this is yet another different sides of the Atlantic thing?

Although, I was always under the impression that the English spoken in Canada was more like British English than American English...

CaroLiza_fan
And there are the inarguably unforgettable lines from Henry Higgins:
"There even are places where English completely disappears" [beat] "Well, in America, they haven't used it for years."

Unless I misheard when people said it, I always thought they were saying "Too many cooks spoil the pot."

If that's actually the case, it seems sort of a downward or common trend. On the other hand, I can think of it as positive: the tradition of cooking everything in one pot is tried and true and classic, since the flavors get 'mixed up' (as Huckleberry Finn said), or blended, thus adding complexity to the dish.

But that can be overdone. In my kitchen, the proportion of ingredients is important; i.e. there's such a thing as too much of a spice or too much water ... or I could go on all day!

My son, who's a language and math major, and I, also a language major, talk about comparative meanings and how that reflects a culture all the time. We're always interrupting ourselves in the middle of a conversation to analyze the language! LOL. Anyway, he told me that Noah Webster, who compiled the first American dictionary, purposely changed the spelling of words like colour to color, labour to labor, favourite to favorite. And he did it to re-emphasize our independence from England. Born in 1758, he was of the Revolutionary generation. Spiteful or philosophical? You decide. :)