2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Whole M/G FS program. Some silly mistakes, but it's just the beginning.

Ah, I thought the part from Snowstorm would be the Waltz (which I love) but it's rather the Romance. The latter is more common in FS - I think Z/E at least skated to it - but it makes the majority of the programme seem slow. The second part with Time Forward is nice but comes a bit late.

It would be fantastic to see T/M trying quad twist again, I miss it! They are probably the only ones who can and would - Sui/Han probably will stick with 3Tw out of pragmatism like Savchenko/Massot did, as would most lower-ranked pairs.
Not sure if Tarasova was trying 3F just as practice for the throw or for SBS, but a SBS 3F would be great too, and worth more under the current judging system. Any footage of Morozov jumping it?
I'm more worried about the fact that the Chinese pairs will be at home, so you'd expect some home-cooking--which is not to say that S/H really need it. But it will be hard to beat them there. And T/M slipped off the podium behind the two younger pairs. I think they realized they have to go for the harder elements, if only to give them the technical edge too.
Yeah, a clean T/M with their regular tech content is unlikely to beat a clean S/H on home turf (like it or not). Actually I wouldn't mind if they tried 4Tw at Olympics unsuccessfully, at least they would have gone out with a fight.

hanca

Record Breaker
This program looks good. More speed need in the second half, but it very appropriate for them.
Does it? To me it looks like if Leonova was trying to skate Mao Asada’s program. I think Boikova/Kozlovski could skate to Snowstorm, but Mishina/Galliamov- I don’t think that’s a good choice for them. Their style is more sporty, more modern. They don’t have the elegance and the lines for this music.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Does it? To me it looks like if Leonova was trying to skate Mao Asada’s program. I think Boikova/Kozlovski could skate to Snowstorm, but Mishina/Galliamov- I don’t think that’s a good choice for them. Their style is more sporty, more modern. They don’t have the elegance and the lines for this music.
I don't think the program doesn't suit them. Maybe they are more modern, but it doesn't seem like the music is lost on them, at least to me. Also, they need to branch out. They've been skating to modern/less classical things for years now. I'm okay with them trying something different. But people have different opinions.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't think the program doesn't suit them. Maybe they are more modern, but it doesn't seem like the music is lost on them, at least to me. Also, they need to branch out. They've been skating to modern/less classical things for years now. I'm okay with them trying something different. But people have different opinions.
I agree that it is good to experiment with different types of music, but I am not sure if the olympic season is a good time for experimenting. I am not sure what you mean by the music being or not being ‘lost on them’, but the music doesn’t match to their skating style. The same way a hip hop dancer may not be the best person to dance to swan lake music (the original version), and yet one wouldn’t say hip hop dancers don’t have skills. They do, just not ballet skills. Classical music being used by skater who don’t have the lines, the ballet skills, the tidyness of skating, it just will not show their strengths, but it will show their weaknesses. It is not a good strategy to advertise your weaknesses, especially not in the olympic season.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I agree that it is good to experiment with different types of music, but I am not sure if the olympic season is a good time for experimenting. I am not sure what you mean by the music being or not being ‘lost on them’, but the music doesn’t match to their skating style. The same way a hip hop dancer may not be the best person to dance to swan lake music (the original version), and yet one wouldn’t say hip hop dancers don’t have skills. They do, just not ballet skills. Classical music being used by skater who don’t have the lines, the ballet skills, the tidyness of skating, it just will not show their strengths, but it will show their weaknesses. It is not a good strategy to advertise your weaknesses, especially not in the olympic season.
The thing is, I don't think it advertises their weaknesses. I think the program is still a bit empty in parts, it seems like they're still filling it with transitions. But what I saw I liked. As I said, I'm not sure if it's just personal for me. I don't see any problem in the program in itself, neither do I think it's such a big risk for them. It's a program, just like "We are the champions" was one--and I did not like it. This one I do.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Not sure yet. Tbh I didn't like either of their program's last season even though they skated them well. I prefer this music by far.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
It was announced some time ago they will keep the SP, but it should be highly modified.
I'm a bit surprised Mishina/Galliamov are keeping their SP - I thought they had just about outgrown both programs at Worlds last year. But I think they're focusing on improvements and getting comfortable with a new FS in a new style, so keeping a SP that you know works in an Olympic year makes sense.
The SP referred to can be viewed here

So far, I prefer their retained SP to the new FS...I guess I wasn't expecting them to go with a waltz type of music. It will grow on me, I think they need more eye contact.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are quad twists even worth it? Isn't doing a triple with an interesting arm position a safer bet?

T/M are currently leading at Cranberry, I wonder what their FS will be... will it be last year's one or something new. 🤔

readernick

Medalist
Are quad twists even worth it? Isn't doing a triple with an interesting arm position a safer bet?

T/M are currently leading at Cranberry, I wonder what their FS will be... will it be last year's one or something new. 🤔
If they are secure, they are worth it. Quad throws are 100 not worth it but twists can be. However, training them is quite dangerous. Several teams used to do them. However, they don't now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

As long as it is not Candyman. :( I think T and M though really need to find a program that makes them shine and have an element that is theirs. They really need a good package. Russia seems to be in an error of some good teams but not great - remember when they Shishkova and Naumov, Beshke and Petrov and some lady and Bushkov? followed later by Kavaguti and Smirnov and several other "good" ut not great Russian teams often retiring with injuries and such. They are counting on errors of Sui and Han for any shot at gold which in China is very unlikely. I really want this team to win an olympic medal gold would be nice though I am torn with Sui and Han. I could live with S and H though getting silver - 2 silver medals at olympics would be amazing.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I think Muchurtova/ Evgenyev will have a great furure ahead. Maybe their elements can still be a little more impressive, but their skating and presentation is ahead of the other junior pairs. She reminds me a little of Evgenya Tarasova with even more potential in presentation. Great team!
Those that have the great futures are those with great foundations. Why didn't Kostiukovich Ialin last? No solid foundation. Mukhortova and Evgeniev were patient, and were taught good basics, now it begins to pay off. For Tumanova and Kunitsa, I think that they also have a gerat base to work from, so now to overcome puberty and be patient.

I also loved Chikmareva and Yanchenkov, well I hope she doesn't grow too much

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
If they are secure, they are worth it. Quad throws are 100 not worth it but twists can be. However, training them is quite dangerous. Several teams used to do them. However, they don't now.
If Panfilova and Rylov can't manage a quad twist that is worth it, then I don't see how it can be done by TM. I hope for good programs tomorrow.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Why didn't Kostiukovich Ialin last? No solid foundation.
Oh, really? If a girl outgrows a guy it is called "no solid foundation"? Then Mishina / Mirzoev didn't tave a solid foundation too. :ROFLMAO:
If Panfilova and Rylov can't manage a quad twist that is worth it, then I don't see how it can be done by TM.
Unlike Panfilova / Rylov, Tarasova / Morozov have a huge experience of doing quad twist. But doing a quad twist on level 3 is a way harder than a triple on level 4.

readernick

Medalist
T/M are basically the same skaters as they were before going to Eteri. Nice program, but the costume change is completely unnecessary for skaters of their caliber. It's a cheap trick, you don't need cheap tricks when you have those SS and that extension. They have always possessed them. A bit of inconsistency here which they have also always possessed. I hope that we see some more consistency in their LP. They have all the skills (and have always had) they need to succeed except for the ability to skate clean when it matters. Eteri seems to excel at making her skaters consistent. I hope she is able to do it with T/M, too. As much as I love, Moskvina and her teams, I am rooting for the oldies T/M or S/H to win the Olympics next year.

hanca

Record Breaker
Not necessarily. Tarasova/Morozov’s quad twist was secure, that wasn’t the problem. The problem was that on the quad twist it was impossible to get the higher levels, and getting lower levels of quad twist was same as getting higher level triple twist. Therefore they were getting the same marks as their competitors, while doing something much harder. Furthermore, doing the quad twist took much more energy and that could have impact on the rest of the program. Why doing something harder, more risky and something that spends more energy, if there is no points advantage? At least that’s what T/M said in their interview. (Gordeeva also wrote in her book that doing quad twist took much more energy.)

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Oh, really? If a girl outgrows a guy it is called "no solid foundation"? Then Mishina / Mirzoev didn't tave a solid foundation too. :ROFLMAO:

Unlike Panfilova / Rylov, Tarasova / Morozov have a huge experience of doing quad twist. But doing a quad twist on level 3 is a way harder than a triple on level 4.
I guess I shall rephrase: even had she not outgrown him, their technique was not going to last past her puberty. Just look at where her jumps are at these days, and how much they struggled when she grew even a little bit in 2019/20. They just didn't have the stable technique to work past it. Their twists and lifts were good, which is why they were able to maintain through her puberty, but looking at throws and jumps, it's not surprising that they were gone the minute anything changed.