2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at the Finlandia Scores, it looks like our Pairs have a mountain to climb. They're more than 10 points back of the leaders but, they're not out of medal contention. Just 3 points behind Vanessa and Eric sitting in 3rd. I hope they have clean skates in the free program.

You got your wish! Congratulations to Ashley and Timothy for climbing from 6th place after the SP to winning the bronze! And good work, for keeping their vision in front of them, of what they want their skating to be. Congratulations also to Jessica and Brian for pulling up from 7th after the SP to come in 4th! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find videos of Jessica and Brian's skates. I will say that with their SP, they convinced me. I understood what they were showing, in a new way for me. Looking forward to seeing them develop over the season.

As I am with Ashley and Timothy's. I'll just paste a Google Translate of a comment underneath their SP, which makes me think of a comment Trankov made in an interview a few years ago about pairs skating being about those difficult, closely skated, closed positions and such. I don't remember his exact words, but here's the translation of the person's comment and the program. I think both programs really highlight their unison, unity of vision, and commitment to choreography, with the step sequence in the sp and the choreographic sequence in the fs.

I liked the program and the rental itself very much. The track is super, recalled Masquerade Volosozhar-Trankova, a lot of grips and closed positions. It is difficult, but it looks very nice.

And here's their free skate:

mrrice

Record Breaker
You got your wish! Congratulations to Ashley and Timothy for climbing from 6th place after the SP to winning the bronze! And good work, for keeping their vision in front of them, of what they want their skating to be. Congratulations also to Jessica and Brian for pulling up from 7th after the SP to come in 4th! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find videos of Jessica and Brian's skates. I will say that with their SP, they convinced me. I understood what they were showing, in a new way for me. Looking forward to seeing them develop over the season.

As I am with Ashley and Timothy's. I'll just paste a Google Translate of a comment underneath their SP, which makes me think of a comment Trankov made in an interview a few years ago about pairs skating being about those difficult, closely skated, closed positions and such. I don't remember his exact words, but here's the translation of the person's comment and the program.

And here's their free skate:

Yes!!!!!!!!:cheer2: :rock: :bow:

Dogo

On the Ice
Don't pick on Jess. This is a partnership. Brian has issues with jumps too. They both had issues during this competition, with some obvious lack of complete confidence. However, we should also note that their showing at Finlandia showed a bit of progress with the jumps. Not enough as yet, though. It was Brian who doubled his sbs jump in the sp, which is why they were behind their teammates at 64+.
I was so proud of Jessica delivering on her first jumping pass on the SP. You can see that her air position is tighter. Hope that what she is doing is helping her with her confidence. She definitely can master these jumps and I believe in her.

I'm glad that the friendly competition between C/J and C/L is bringing out the best in them. I wish both teams good luck. I know that C/J usually peak later, so it will be very interesting to see what the olympic season brings for all US pairs.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I saw both skates (probably on an illegal link, but I really wanted to do it legally until I found out I had to watch live in that case which was impossible). I was so impressed. Jessica and Brian had some (small) issues but - as I remarked in the competition thread - they really are ice dancers with pair elements. Combined with those lifts! And Ashley and Timothy were just great. I always love their lines and when that's combined with cleanliness (I'm sure some will have seen certain rotation things but I didn't) they really are a fantastic team. Congrats!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I wonder who was the American judge at Finlandia? They definitely did nothing for Ashley and Tim in this competition--placed them below C/J in both programs, and gave them very low scores.

Weathergal

Medalist
I wonder who was the American judge at Finlandia? They definitely did nothing for Ashley and Tim in this competition--placed them below C/J in both programs, and gave them very low scores.
US judge for Finlandia pairs was Robert Rosenbluth. Also the Technical Controller Wendy Enzmann is from US.

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
Don't pick on Jess. This is a partnership. Brian has issues with jumps too. They both had issues during this competition, with some obvious lack of complete confidence. However, we should also note that their showing at Finlandia showed a bit of progress with the jumps. Not enough as yet, though. It was Brian who doubled his sbs jump in the sp, which is why they were behind their teammates at 64+.
Hers would have been downgraded if he didn’t double.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hers would have been downgraded if he didn’t double.
Did the judges indicate that in the protocols, or you thought Jess landed it under? Your observation doesn't negate that, as I said, they both need to get it together as partners on the jumps.

C/J are obviously trying, but there also seems to be a kind of mental block for them on the jumps. Sometimes Jess lands and Brian doesn't, and vice versa. They both landed their jumps in the sp at the Cranberry event in August. It seemed hopeful then that they could be turning a corner, but it's still shaky for them on the jumps.

There's really no way that C/J should have been behind many of the teams they were behind. On overall quality of their 3-twist, lifts, speed and ice coverage, in addition to well-conceived programs, C/J should get very high marks. One of the problems is that Ash/Timothy were low-balled for a clean sp. Because Jess and Brian missed on their sbs jump, the judges felt they had to be placed behind Ash/Timothy.

Part of the reason C/J have been in a bind, is bad luck. Their momentum was dashed by the pandemic and cancellation of 2020 Worlds, after they had a first place free program at U.S. Nationals, and a 3rd place fp at 2020 4CCs. Then they had to WD from 2021 Worlds for reasons that are still being whispered about. Whatever the reason was for their withdrawal, they've put it behind them.

But unfortunately, at this point, C/J have yet to make their Worlds debut. So, despite their huge talent on most elements except the jumps, they aren't being fully credited by international judges for their strengths. Jumps are important, and they don't have any mistake handicaps like some top teams. They have to improve their jumps.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mystery solved—what turned out to be a false positive on a drug test at Nationals. I’m sure this was stressful, but fortunately it was not anything that could impact them going forward.

We were right something had to be going on for them to turn down going to Worlds and killing whatever momentum they had and explains why they weren't listed in the USFS envelops for this season and had no GP events.

Kathy1

On the Ice
Considering the ongoing horrors plaguing U.S. American pairs skating, the fact that cosmetics prevented an exceptional team from so many opportunities is absolutely abhorrent. I do hope that unintentional 4-CPA exposure was the key factor preventing Jessica from rotating her triples, as that could explain another barrier I would like this team to transcend.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mystery solved—what turned out to be a false positive on a drug test at Nationals. I’m sure this was stressful, but fortunately it was not anything that could impact them going forward.

I'm not cheering that Jessica and Brian had to go through this, but I *am* cheering that it's been resolved and that her name has been completely cleared!

:bsplit::clap::hap10::dance3::dance3:

I had a feeling it was drug-related because the timing was right -- soon after Nationals. Someone else posted that somewhere, but I made myself refrain from speculation.

This being resolved, and the fact that they took the right steps, going through channels, hiring a lawyer, etc. ... should be a huge relief to both Jessica and Brian. A load off their mind -- which can only mean putting that mental energy into landing those jumps in competition!

Jessica and Brian showed great character throughout. :rock:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought this was important enough news to start a new thread, before I saw @SevenSisters' post here:

What a saga!

Carolla5501

On the Ice
What a bizarre story for Jessica. She may be the first female skater to decide not to wear makeup going forward! Poor thing!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sonia and Daniel have an almost 20 point lead on the rest of the field after the Junior Pairs Short Program. Like most Juniors, I know absolutely nothing about them. Guess I'll have to start paying more attention. Good Luck in the Free

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not cheering that Jessica and Brian had to go through this, but I *am* cheering that it's been resolved and that her name has been completely cleared!

:bsplit::clap::hap10::dance3::dance3:

I had a feeling it was drug-related because the timing was right -- soon after Nationals. Someone else posted that somewhere, but I made myself refrain from speculation.

This being resolved, and the fact that they took the right steps, going through channels, hiring a lawyer, etc. ... should be a huge relief to both Jessica and Brian. A load off their mind -- which can only mean putting that mental energy into landing those jumps in competition!

Jessica and Brian showed great character throughout. :rock:
Yes, and also the timing of the on/off/on for envelope funding & status in ISP.
Cheers to them for staying strong through this!
Wishing them a successful Skate America & a second spot as a fill-in at a later GP.

Dogo

On the Ice
"Those eight months were fraught with uncertainty"

Yes, and very likely full of a tedious amount of stress and anxiety. They were brave to keep going despite the turmoil (and rumors, some of which were completely bonkers) knowing that she didn't do anything wrong according to the books. Worlds were taken from them and I can only hope that this makes them stronger. Seriously, one would think that USADA should be keeping up with the science and chemistry breakdown of common things we use all the time. Not so long ago I found out that most mainstream shampoos contain ingredients that make you loose hair in the long term. That is, despite advertising stronger, healthier and voluminous hair.

Anyhow, I'm grateful she had the resources for this to be investigated fully and cleared. I fell completely in love with them since 2019. C'mon guys, let's go to the Olympics! :hap10: