2021-22 Women's Skating Predictions and Rankings | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Women's Skating Predictions and Rankings

Climb

Rinkside
Country
Russia
My rankings

1 - Valieva Powerful tech content, superb PCS, no real weakness, has it factor. The only question is can she handle the pressure.
2 - Shcherbakova (very close to first) Her main power is being a strong mind. I also expect her to have the highest PCS. Having -3Lo combo allows her to have an extremely efficient layout in the free. Gleikh said she restored her quad flip. With both her quads restored i'd put her in the first by a mile
3 - Liu I think people underestimate her. She is the number one US skater. All she needs is to land her 3As
4 - Trusova That's where i think people overestimate a skater. It doesn't matter how many quads you can land in practice session. She had two seasons and couldn't win a single major competition. It doesn't look like the trend will miraculously change based on her perfomance this season. Still a strong contender though.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
My rankings

1 - Valieva Powerful tech content, superb PCS, no real weakness, has it factor. The only question is can she handle the pressure.
2 - Shcherbakova (very close to first) Her main power is being a strong mind. I also expect her to have the highest PCS. Having -3Lo combo allows her to have an extremely efficient layout in the free. Gleikh said she restored her quad flip. With both her quads restored i'd put her in the first by a mile
3 - Liu I think people underestimate her. She is the number one US skater. All she needs is to land her 3As
4 - Trusova That's where i think people overestimate a skater. It doesn't matter how many quads you can land in practice session. She had two seasons and couldn't win a single major competition. It doesn't look like the trend will miraculously change based on her perfomance this season. Still a strong contender though.
I have the same exact thought about Liu and Sasha too! Unfortunately, Sasha seems suffer from her nerves when she competes aboard (overseas). She needs a loud crowd cheering for her. I still hope to see Sasha on Olympics team but she is not a lock.

Joekaz

On the Ice
My rankings

Liu wouldn't even make the Japanese Olympic team. Matsuike is the same age and is better than Liu. I do agree Liu is the best American, however.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Matsuike is the same age and is better than Liu.
Seeing that you've said this a few times, I watched their skating (and already responded in the Japanese Women's thread). Rino has better skating skills, presentation, and jumps. I wouldn't say she has better programs than Liu this season. So she's a better quality skater, but not presented to the judges as well as Liu has been this season.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Korean Ladies have withdrawn from Asian Open, and the SPs for Finlandia are technically still going on, but I think we've watched enough. Here's the ranking that I'll update only after GPF:

1. Valieva
2. Shcherbakova
3. Kostornaia
4. Trusova
5. Kihira (worrisome, however, that she hasn't participated in anything, and won't till Skate Canada, despite a coaching change)
6. Liu
7. Sakamoto
8. Kromykh
9. You (better programs than Tuktamysheva and better overall skating; on the road to recovery)
10. Tuktamysheva

Possible new entries: Wakaba Higuchi, Rino Matsuike (depending on 3A consistency - much better skaters than Tuktamysheva, and Japan has three spots up for grabs).

Question marks: Karen Chen (peaks at Nationals), Bradie Tennell (recovering from injury), Loena Hendricx (eh?), Satoko Miyahara (jumps looked a mess at Japan Open, but her PCS might get her the bronze at Japan Nationals, which is all she'll need I think to make the team), Eunsoo Lim and Haein Lee (just didn't see them in challengers). No GP events for Gubanova, so will reserve judgment on her till Euros. ETA: And Usacheva!

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Korean Ladies have withdrawn from Asian Open, and the SPs for Finlandia are technically still going on, but I think we've watched enough. Here's the ranking that I'll update only after GPF:

1. Valieva
2. Shcherbakova
3. Kostornaia
4. Trusova
5. Kihira (worrisome, however, that she hasn't participated in anything, and won't till Skate Canada, despite a coaching change)
6. Liu
7. Sakamoto
8. Kromykh
9. You (better programs than Tuktamysheva and better overall skating; on the road to recovery)
10. Tuktamysheva

Possible new entries: Wakaba Higuchi, Rino Matsuike (depending on 3A consistency - much better skaters than Tuktamysheva, and Japan has three spots up for grabs).

Question marks: Karen Chen (peaks at Nationals), Bradie Tennell (recovering from injury), Loena Hendricx (eh?), Satoko Miyahara (jumps looked a mess at Japan Open, but her PCS might get her the bronze at Japan Nationals, which is all she'll need I think to make the team), Eunsoo Lim and Haein Lee (just didn't see them in challengers). No GP events for Gubanova, so will reserve judgment on her till Euros.
You should do one after first 3 gp events. :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Well, I can hope someone else does, too :laugh2: Just starting to look like I'm talking to myself now, lol.
No, I’m reading it! :) generally I’d rank them the same as you, but Kosto/Trusova I can’t decide who’s 3, who’s 4. Especially after her FS performance.
I’d also have Khromykh higher than Liu, even now. I believe in her, I think her last season success really changed something in her mindset. She looks like a new person. I think she’ll be able to start landing 2 quads consistently.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
but Kosto/Trusova I can’t decide who’s 3, who’s 4. Especially after her FS performance.
Kosto/Trusova I stand by for now. The judges really went for that SP, with just a 2A (and not even a +3Lo combo). She scored lower PCS in the FP, but she technically had 3 mistakes (the second lutz was +REP, should have waited for that third combo).

I also think she's just a plain better skater than Trusova, so there's that.

I’d also have Khromykh higher than Liu, even now. I believe in her, I think her last season success really changed something in her mindset. She looks like a new person. I think she’ll be able to start landing 2 quads consistently.
Kromykh is the one we all have to judge during the GP! I just think she's down in 5th place among the Russian women hierarchy for the fed (Valieva, Tuktamysheva, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova, Trusova ahead), so don't know what kind of politics she'll get. We must remember that Tsurskaya didn't get the Eteri candy, so Kromykh might not either. But she's ahead on my power ranking because of quads.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Kosto/Trusova I stand by for now. The judges really went for that SP, with just a 2A (and not even a +3Lo combo). She scored lower PCS in the FP, but she technically had 3 mistakes (the second lutz was +REP, should have waited for that third combo).

I also think she's just a plain better skater than Trusova, so there's that.

Kromykh is the one we all have to judge during the GP! I just think she's down in 5th place among the Russian women hierarchy for the fed (Valieva, Tuktamysheva, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova, Trusova ahead), so don't know what kind of politics she'll get. We must remember that Tsurskaya didn't get the Eteri candy, so Kromykh might not either. But she's ahead on my power ranking because of quads.
I think she could’ve earned 80+ in SP without a 3A. She’s one of the few ladies who really actually deserve it. She’s coming back after a bad season, so I can understand that with that in mind, her scores are ok.

Polina, idk why Rusfed preferred Sotskova over her. Polina really got the short end of a stick that season with her GP assignments. Maiia doesn’t have bad assignments, I think if she skates clean, she should easily be in the final.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I think she could’ve earned 80+ in SP without a 3A. She’s one of the few ladies who really actually deserve it. She’s coming back after a bad season, so I can understand that with that in mind, her scores are ok.

Polina, idk why Rusfed preferred Sotskova over her. Polina really got the short end of a stick that season with her GP assignments. Maiia doesn’t have bad assignments, I think if she skates clean, she should easily be in the final.

I don't mean to be too speculative, but I think it had to do with reputation/politicking. Sotskova was coached by Sotnikova's coaches and was part of CSKA which has big pull. Considering Sotskova and Tsurskaya were somewhat close in scoring, it was easier for judges to prefer not sending 3 Eteri skaters to the Olympics.

Sotskova also had more experience and an extra year in seniors to build reputation and momentum. Her astronomical scores at Nationals despite her mistakes were so clearly rigged in her favor though...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Her GP were not that stacked imo. It's just that she didn't get pcs bonus. If she was a protected skater, she would have gotten at least silver at NHK by winning the free skate and getting higher score in SP as she should have. And that would have given her extra confidence and maybe she wouldn't have done those mistakes at SA.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

1. Valieva
2. Shcherbakova
3. Kostornaia
4. Trusova
6. Liu
7. Sakamoto
8. Kromykh
10. Tuktamysheva

Question marks: Karen Chen (peaks at Nationals), Bradie Tennell (recovering from injury), Loena Hendricx (eh?), Satoko Miyahara (jumps looked a mess at Japan Open, but her PCS might get her the bronze at Japan Nationals, which is all she'll need I think to make the team), Eunsoo Lim and Haein Lee (just didn't see them in challengers). No GP events for Gubanova, so will reserve judgment on her till Euros. ETA: And Usacheva!

Would you still rank Tuktamysheva so low after Finlandia where she posted 233.30 (enough to have won 2021 Worlds) and placed ahead of Kostornaia?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think it was Buyanova's last gasp for oxygen/relevancy in the scheme of women's skating. It's all gone now. Maiia will be preferred over Tuk if she is landing 3axels, 4sal and 4toes. Mishin might have some politik, but not enough IMO to overrule Eteri's wishes now. Eteri is in the pilot seat now wrt women's Russian skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes - but she can change my mind after GPF.

To each their own but I will say, it’s kinda unfair that Liza has proved herself not only at Worlds but also this Finlandia followup including posting an above-80 SP and above-159 FS (which a lot of skaters in your top 10 haven’t done ever).

I mean, not sure if she can keep it up but it’s astonishing that the standards we are holding her too that even when she’s delivering she needs to do it 3-3 times to get any credibility. I mean she is the reigning World silver medalist and has kept a super consistent 3A, while Kihira and Kostornaia are struggling to maintain/regain theirs, and yet people are so sure she’s ahead of them. She just beat Kostornaia - and by a lot. And posted a higher total score than Anna won worlds with.

I mean,but hey, Liza really needs to pay her dues more before we take her seriously.... let’s see if Liza can make the Olympic team AND medal in Beijing. Once she medals and ONLY if she medals we can maaaaybe consider moving her into the top 5 of the power rankings. :laugh: