2021 GP Italy - Women: Thoughts and Comments? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 GP Italy - Women: Thoughts and Comments?

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Very happy for Loena. You could tell in the K&C how much this medal meant to her.
People little joke about this, the signatures on the pedestal are the names of the girls :biggrin: (I hope you understand that it not evil joke, people in the comments where did I find this congratulations Loena)

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Hendrickx has an amazing short program and as long as she keeps it consistent, is doing well with that. The reality is that for an "upset" to happen, 1) the Russians have to fall on the quad(s) or 2) Hendrickx (and others) need to add a quad to their FS.

I don't wish to see either happen. I don't like seeing women doing quads as I think it makes the program too tense and mechanical. I'd rather see some amazing PCS with solid triples :)
It's not about quads. Loena would have lost to Anna even without quads - she just has a lower base in FP, Loena did only 6 triple. She couldn't even do the basic program for a top figure skater 7+2 (7 triple + 2 axels).

Even if you forbid Anna to do at the beginning of 4F and only allow do 2Lz (more expensive jumps are not allowed due to repetitions) still Anya's BV will be 64.78. And Loena's BV it's 60.38. And even with such a relatively simple set, the Loena was pretty tense and focused (which is natural - she performed last and the first Grand Prix medal in her life was decided for her)

People, just.. come on, be reasonable :) What is especially funny that I like Luna as a figure skater, I closely and sympathetically follow her career. But I'm sure that many interpret this post "Oh, he sees nothing but his beloved Russian ladies skaters and does not want to see anything." No, it's not, I see. But you have to be realistic and appreciate and understand this sport. Anya and Loena are figure skaters of completely different calibers. The fact that the Loena temporarily bypassed Anya in SP is nothing more than a funny twist.

Last edited:

lizardlass

On the Ice
Is Eunsoo injured or ill? I was scared for her when she finished the program and was doubled over for awhile. I know it could have just been an emotional reaction. Whatever the case, my heart really goes out to her.

Is it too early to speculate as to whether there will be any non-Russian in the Grand Prix final? So far the Russian women have won all the golds and silvers, leaving only a couple of bronzes for the rest of the world.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Is it too early to speculate as to whether there will be any non-Russian in the Grand Prix final? So far the Russian women have won all the golds and silvers, leaving only a couple of bronzes for the rest of the world.
With Sasha's withdrawal from the NHK trophy, it is very likely that in GPF there will be Kami, Anna, Daria (if she obtains 1 or 2 in NHK trophy), Maiia (2 or 3 in RC), Liza (2 or 3 in RC) and for the last spot Alena (it would have to be 2 in France and Young You should be 3 in NHK) or Young You if NHK wins or is 2 with a score higher than Alena.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People, just.. come on, be reasonable :) What is especially funny that I like Luna as a figure skater, I closely and sympathetically follow her career. But I'm sure that many interpret this post "Oh, he sees nothing but his beloved Russian ladies skaters and does not want to see anything."

Please don't assume you know what others are thinking. I, for one, wasn't thinking that.
No, it's not, I see. But you have to be realistic and appreciate and understand this sport. Anya and Loena are figure skaters of completely different calibers. The fact that the Loena temporarily bypassed Anya in SP is nothing more than a funny twist.

In my opinion, it's more than a funny twist. It's the way this sport of figure skating plays out. It's much more interesting to watch the competitions than it would be if every result and every competition could be projected just by doing the numbers, or by deciding who was in what caliber and calling it a day before anyone skated.

It's fun not to be 100% realistic all the time. There's room for hope, room for small, unimportant but fun miracles, room for suspense. Most of all, there's room for magical moments like Loena's to give us happiness.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
It's fun not to be 100% realistic all the time. There's room for hope, room for small, unimportant but fun miracles, room for suspense. Most of all, there's room for magical moments like Loena's to give us happiness.
"A magical moment"? Where have you seen here any "magical moment"?

Loena showed very well her SP with choreography of a decent level of complexity. In FP, everything was not so rosy anymore (Loena was visibly tense, only 6 triples). The truth is that Loena is a "medium-level" figure skater (for example, look at such an important indicator as "edge skating" - Lina doesn't have really deep edges) and she is the flagship of European figure skating only because of its serious impoverishment.

ISU is committed to an egalitarian worldview. Remember the archaic quota system, or, for example, that they give the stages of the junior Grand Prix to countries where no one is interested in FS and juniors skate on terrible small rinks with almost no spectators (a few years ago they were skating on a rink where the fog was over the ice and sometimes the skater was not clearly visible). With this approach, it naturally turns out that the Loena will inevitably begin to be "supported".

There was nothing magical . There was a good skate of a short and an average skate of a long program from figure skater of "second echelon". The positivity of the moment is that Loena understands the role assigned to her and tries to match. And in principle, she succeeds - she can definitely be called the best representative of the "second echelon"

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Loena is lovely but one thing is need to change before next competition...Loenas FS dress. It was not esthetic...the back ate the pants completely :)
It reminds me Sotnikova's dress from 2013 Bompard. I don't know what stylists are thinking when they choose that kind of leotard.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"A magical moment"? Where have you seen here any "magical moment"?

Loena showed very well her SP with choreography of a decent level of complexity. In FP, everything was not so rosy anymore (Loena was visibly tense, only 6 triples). The truth is that Loena is a "medium-level" figure skater (for example, look at such an important indicator as "edge skating" - Lina doesn't have really deep edges) and she is the flagship of European figure skating only because of its serious impoverishment.

ISU is committed to an egalitarian worldview. Remember the archaic quota system, or, for example, that they give the stages of the junior Grand Prix to countries where no one is interested in FS and juniors skate on terrible small rinks with almost no spectators (a few years ago they were skating on a rink where the fog was over the ice and sometimes the skater was not clearly visible). With this approach, it naturally turns out that the Loena will inevitably begin to be "supported".

There was nothing magical . There was a good skate of a short and an average skate of a long program from figure skater of "second echelon". The positivity of the moment is that Loena understands the role assigned to her and tries to match. And in principle, she succeeds - she can definitely be called the best representative of the "second echelon"

That is the beauty of Loena. Getting the absolute most out of her talent. Overachieving. Medaling while not having the weapons.

And it’s harder for her because her margin for error is less than zero. One mistake and it’s over. She literally skates on the razor’s edge. I still think being the top non Russian European is a cool thing.

As for the ISU and quotas and egalitarianism, you got an ally in me. Definitely support you there. I want meritocracy as much as possible too. Quotas should go.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
That is the beauty of Loena. Getting the absolute most out of her talent. Overachieving. Medaling while not having the weapons.

And it’s harder for her because her margin for error is less than zero. One mistake and it’s over. She literally skates on the razor’s edge. I still think being the top non Russian European is a cool thing.
It 's just that it 's still not completely clear to me whether Loena or Mia deserved bronze. If you ask me and say "please answer honestly", I'll be honest - I think the Loena deserves bronze. Just because I will remember that Mia has her typical expressionless, uncomplicated choreography (which is especially easy to see in the first half). But at the same time, I remember how the Loena was tense and skated with strong control and how light and airy Mia was. And then the little devil on my shoulder whispers "it's not hard to be easy with a simpler choreography" :laugh: In general, I am in complete uncertainty and in such cases I say to myself - let the judges decide, there are nine of them, and I am one. But in such a situation, I definitely can't talk about "magical moment"