2021 Internationaux de France: Men's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2021 Internationaux de France: Men's Free Skate

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So long that it is not detrimental to his health. It would be interesting who the third man would be if Hanyu doesn’t skate in Olympics. Otherwise, it’s pretty clear imo.
Yes Shoma and Yuma are in, baring surprising and serious bombing at nats that would put them outside top 6. Even then, Yuma still can be chosen given his BOW this year.
If Yuzuru doesn't recover, it will be an open battle between Shun, Sota, Keiji and Kazuki for the third spot, with a little advantage for Shun.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#YumaKagiyama 🇯🇵 #IdF (185.77 / 286.41) "I'm really happy with my win because this is my first GP, but the second half was disastrous. Maybe it was an emotional thing or maybe it was a perseverance thing. There is much more regret than happiness."

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If Yuzuru don't recover, it will be an open battle between Shun, Sota, Keiji and Kazuki for the third spot, with a little advantage for Shun.
I am glad to hear Shun might have a bit of an advantage, because I really liked him in JGP. I also really like Tomono… well, we’ll see how it would pan out.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Precisely why that music should never be used for entertainment.

I will give Jason a pass on your spoiler comment, precisely because of his background. He is not trying to "entertain" and he, more than anyone, would know what it is like to possibly be offended by a skating routine to this material.

This is not "oh just let's skate to the pretty violin" for Jason.

Of course, many in the audience may not know that, and I understand the hesitance/discomfort with their reaction.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It depends on the program. In this case, being theatrical isn’t good. Simplicity is best. This isn’t the first time I felt this about Brown either. He comes off as phony in some of his programs. This was an example.

Since I am not Jewish, I am not going to say that a Jewish skater "comes off" as phony to Schindler's List.

I know that some do not see Jason's genuine emotions in all of his programs. That's OK, most of us do. He has been touching audiences for some time now.

You can't please all the people all the time. :)

Ella339

On the Ice
I will give Jason a pass on your spoiler comment, precisely because of his background. He is not trying to "entertain" and he, more than anyone, would know what it is like to possibly be offended by a skating routine to this material.

This is not "oh just let's skate to the pretty violin" for Jason.

Of course, many in the audience may not know that, and I understand the hesitance/discomfort with their reaction.
I understand your comment, and do give *more* of a pass to Jason as well. Still not a fan, though.

(I've actually been skipping all the SL performances this season, and all the repeat Bolero performances as well, albeit for different reasons. I'll try to force myself to watch during Beijing, but until then... no thank you!)

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The Schindler's list program that i like the most and is the one Luccrezia Beccari's skated when she was 13yo or 14yo. There was enough emotions for me. She didn't need maturity to almost get a tear from me. The 2nd is Satoko's because of the choreographic work.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Genuine question: why is "theatrical" a bad thing? This is figure skating, performing to music on the ice. The sport is theatre and I mean that in all the best ways.

That person would probably not enjoy Philippe Candeloro's theatrical 1998 Olympic FS. But I certainly did.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Japan for the gold and silver medal and to Mozalev for the 2. place in the freeskate!!! I really liked Mozalev´s performance and he seems to be in good condition as he did not look half-dead after the freeskate like many Russian male skaters do, LOL.

Feeling sad for Vasiljevs as he lost the medal because of his freeskate :(...

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
It depends on how well Kondratyuk skates. With an addendum of ‘it’s senior men skating, everything can happen’. Basically, he can get silver. It is not guaranteed.

Yeah, and Matteo Rizzo will also absolutely be in contention. There's also Kazuki Tomono who could be a surprise medalist, if he skates the whole FP like he did the first half in Italy lol.

Semenenko is in a good position to get that silver and make the final, but he will definitely need some solid skates.

I'm still holding out for Roman Sadovsky to shock us all with 2 clean skates and get a medal. One can dream. 😭

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All in all, I think a lot of skaters have missed the mark with their programs this year.

Men, women, pairs, dancers... Fans are complaining that the programs are dated, retreads, inauthentic, boring... you name it. In this case, I think the fans are right.

I'm trying to think of who has two programs this year that I really like, and I can't. All the ice dancers are eliminated from consideration because they have to do the ridiculous RD, but in their defense, that's the ISU's fault. The pairs all seem to have at least one lifeless program to emo trash. A lot of the top women are so lacking in musicality that if you mute the program, you CAN insert almost anything on your "favs" playlist and it wouldn't be any worse than what they planned. The men seem to be having a competition for Most Inconsistent Skater.

This Olympic season is turning into a bust. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I hope voodoo attacks won't have an impact on Semenenko:laugh:
And i hope he won't face all the hate Sasha Samarin faced in 2018 GP france. People wishing him to bomb and celebrating him finishing third (as if their country had won world cup) because it meant Brown had beaten him and Cha was in GPF.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He also needs a score over 267.
Not if he grabs gold from Kolyada (Rizzo, Tomono, Kondratyuk, Sadovsky, Egadze…) If we go with everything can happen here. 🤷‍♀️

The best outcome for Russians is if Semenenko wins gold and Kolyada—silver.

Last edited: