2021 Lombardia Trophy: Women's Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2021 Lombardia Trophy: Women's Free Skate

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congrats to Alysa! She is truly a fighter. This score was higher than I expected. This is the second time this season she has landed a 3A<. She is at 50% success rate so far and just needs a bit more rotation to fully land this jump. But, I’m so happy she is going for it, as she will need it later on this season. Other than that, she just needs more stamina to fully rotate the triple triple combo in the second half of this program. The score of 219 is a season leading score so far this year. I only see the Russians and 2 Japanese ladies possibly surpassing this score. Good job Alysa!

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I came in to see how the women skating at Lombardia had done, (ETA: Considering that I will probably not watch the skates) and if I want to see how the women at the Russian Test Skates have done, I'll go into that thread.
Tbh, I don't think any of the posters here had bad intentions. It's just natural that when you've watched skating the whole day long, as many of us did, at the end of the day you draw comparisons. Nothing malicious about it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tbh, I don't think any of the posters here had bad intentions. It's just natural that when you've watched skating the whole day long, as many of us did, at the end of the day you draw comparisons. Nothing malicious about it.

You are right that comparisons are natural. "That 3A was underrotated" and someone else's 3A was not, OK. But wow, what a joke, how overscored? In comparison to another comp? That one is hard for me:scratch2:

But since I have not read the entire thread like the dedicated posters who have been posting here (I salute all of you:clap:) I may be basing an opinion on three screens, and that's always dicey. ;)

Remilia

On the Ice
Yikes, if some of you guys' only reason for coming into this thread is to badmouth a skater out of some inane sense of insecurity for your fav, then you're better off just staying away :). The comparisons to the Russian skaters aren't necessary anyway. People aren't here to read about and discuss the test skates, they are here for the Lombardia Trophy.

Anyway, Alysa was wonderful here! The 3A was under, but she stood up on it and is making great progress. I think she'll definitely have it ready by the time the gp starts. Also, so glad she went back to the blue dress, it looks much better than what she had at Cranberry...hopefully she'll change the short program dress as well.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I don't think I like Liu's LP. Her SP brings out something special, the LP basically exists to show she's an "artist" now (even though she still has a nice charm to her performance), IMO. It's still early, maybe they can pick something else for her.

Congrats to her for the win. Definitely winning that 3rd spot at Nebelhorn, no doubt about it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think my participation would stop people from leaving comments in bad faith, but perhaps I will join next time :popcorn:

It is true that folks who want to say "My skaters are the best" (even if they weren't at this comp) will say it no matter what and no matter where. :)

But I do encourage you to join the live commentary if you can. I do so for the men's comps that are at a congenial time (Lombardia is not) and I find it's great to read other's comments and even join in some time.(y)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of course, friend. It's perfectly fine to have a favorite (or in your case, MANY favorites).

It's NOT fine to denigrate other's skating solely because they might pose a competitive threat to your favorite.

Not that you ever do that; you're far to classy a person. I wish others followed your fine fairminded example.
nothing new... it's been like this forever and will continue.... however, in the end, the competitions are won on the ice, not on the forums.. easy enough to ignore the folks who have the habit of ruining the threads...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watching the Ladies FS was a trial, with all the commentary in Russian about the test skates. When the comments weren't in Russian, so many were derogatory to the Lombardia skaters. When challenged as to why there weren't commenting on the Russian feed, they said there wasn't any commentary there (any wonder why), so they had to do it on the Lombardia feed.

So no surprise that they come over here and beat the drum for their skaters and poo-poo Alysa.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan

Luckily, the live feed was back to normal for the final group after a temporary blackout. Alysa's opening 3A was slightly under-rotated but her FS score was 144.93 and 219.24 in total. This is like Rika Kihira's senior debut in 2018 when she was the world champion.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I am just rejoicing that Alysa has come so far since her difficulties dealing with her growth spurt last year that left her fourth at US Nationals. I definitely expect her to have her 3A fixed by Nationals. Maybe she will be able to get a quad back too!
Normally I'd doubt that a skater could pull off a rotated 3A and decent quad in this amount of time, but the massive improvements in very short time frames from Alysa have proven me wrong several times already. If anyone can pull it off, it's her.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh and how could I forget, today being today, that one Medvedeva program. You know the one.
What's terrible is that it would have been a perfectly beautiful program, but they put the sound effects in and it became a cringe-o-rama.
why not the flamenco version? monlight olè
You know I want it now.
The voice overs this season are doing my head in. I love Gabi and Guillaume but this is their fault lol.
Seriously, this is why we can't have nice things. I can deal with a lot of horrible music, but two seconds of that FD and I am OUT. Worst choice ever.

OK on topic, I love Katya's light blue dress, it's so pretty and she's so sweet 🥰 and how happy is she afterwards!

Alexia, wow! What a gorgeous dress! Sad she missed out on a medal, I'm sure she'll slay next time! She looked so sad in the KnC though. Poor Alexia!

Alyssa! Big ray of sunshine 🥰 She just looks so happy to be there. Go girl! You'll get the 3A rotated next time I'm sure!

Congrats to all the medallists!

The trend of flying in to a thread to crap all over a good performance because of a perceived threat the skater may pose to another favorite is tiresome.
Totally agree especially when compared to a performance from YEARS ago, it makes me want to snap back "Oh yeah, well maybe your fave isn't all that and a bag of chips" if you don't like it for no real reason than it's not your fave keep it to yourself.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
I was pleasantly surprised how well Alysa improved her SS and choreography. It was a good skate. Still she was a bit slow for my taste - especially comparing to Khromykh or Synitsina skating in the same day (I know some people feel irritated by that comparison - but it's unavoidable anyway). Alysa's boring and bland program wasn't helping improve that impression as well - despite how good Alysa was selling it. Yet I am 100% positive that both Maiia and Ksenia would get much lower PCS in their senior debut than Alysa. Being number 1 of powerful fed vs, let's say, number 6 of other powerful fed - is a thing in figure skating PCS judging, unfortunately. And those lower numbers are gonna get lower PCS despite having better SS, transitions and choreo than number 1.
I think that is reason why some people here feeling salty about Alysa's scores - it's not because they are malicious to her or feeling threatened by her. They just feel she was being overscored in PCS if they are gonna give lower PCS to better skaters eventually - and highly likely they are gonna do it. You can say what you want about different comps and judging panels - but all top skaters are international rivals and they are competing constantly, indirectly, even now - in season's best score and world rating, reputation among judges, etc - which will influence significantly their scores when they will eventually meet each other in the same tournament. So overscoring/underscoring someone in one competition - especially challenger with int. judges - is important for whole season.