2021 Lombardia Trophy: Women's Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2021 Lombardia Trophy: Women's Free Skate

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think that is reason why some people here feeling salty about Alysa's scores - it's not because they are malicious to her or feeling threatened by her. They just feel she was being overscored in PCS if they are gonna give lower PCS to better skaters eventually - and highly likely they are gonna do it. You can say what you want about different comps and judging panels - but all top skaters are international rivals and they are competing constantly, indirectly, even now - in season's best score and world rating, reputation among judges, etc - which will influence significantly their scores when they will eventually meet each other in the same tournament. So overscoring/underscoring someone in one competition - especially challenger with int. judges - is important for whole season.
So? Alina's and Anna's PCS also took a giant jump in their Senior Debuts, and I don't recall this poster having an issue with that. Basically they are been malicious, or at the very least hypocritical. It's OK for their favourites to get overscored, but don't the judges dare give someone they don't like even .01 more than they feel they deserve.

Also did you read that posters comments about Alysa? They were utterly disgusting and cruel. I certainly wouldn't talk that way, not even about my least favourite skater, so if they're going to claim they don't hate Alysa, well I don't believe them.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
I was pleasantly surprised how well Alysa improved her SS and choreography. It was a good skate. Still she was a bit slow for my taste - especially comparing to Khromykh or Synitsina skating in the same day (I know some people feel irritated by that comparison - but it's unavoidable anyway). Alysa's boring and bland program wasn't helping improve that impression as well - despite how good Alysa was selling it. Yet I am 100% positive that both Maiia and Ksenia would get much lower PCS in their senior debut than Alysa. Being number 1 of powerful fed vs, let's say, number 6 of other powerful fed - is a thing in figure skating PCS judging, unfortunately. And those lower numbers are gonna get lower PCS despite having better SS, transitions and choreo than number 1.
I think that is reason why some people here feeling salty about Alysa's scores - it's not because they are malicious to her or feeling threatened by her. They just feel she was being overscored in PCS if they are gonna give lower PCS to better skaters eventually - and highly likely they are gonna do it. You can say what you want about different comps and judging panels - but all top skaters are international rivals and they are competing constantly, indirectly, even now - in season's best score and world rating, reputation among judges, etc - which will influence significantly their scores when they will eventually meet each other in the same tournament. So overscoring/underscoring someone in one competition - especially challenger with int. judges - is important for whole season.
Why are you crying about the scores Kromykh and Sinitsyna will get in competitions that haven't happened yet in a thread for a competition they didn't participate in lmao

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Watching the Ladies FS was a trial, with all the commentary in Russian about the test skates. When the comments weren't in Russian, so many were derogatory to the Lombardia skaters.
Yeah that's why they turned it off. And it's why you can't comment on with Junior live streams or individual videos because people are remorseless.

I'm not sure what annoys me more about YouTube skate chats, the endless degrading of not-Russians or the people wondering why Yuzu is not skating in the Girls Novice event from Ryazan.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Why are you crying about the scores Kromykh and Sinitsyna will get in competitions that haven't happened yet in a thread for a competition they didn't participate in lmao
Did you read me, I wonder? I answered your question already, Again
You can say what you want about different comps and judging panels - but all top skaters are international rivals and they are competing constantly, indirectly, even now - in season's best score and world rating, reputation among judges, etc - which will influence significantly their scores when they will eventually meet each other in the same tournament. So overscoring/underscoring someone in one competition - especially challenger with int. judges - is important for whole season.
In other words is just part of the big game. And only big game matters - so people feel compelled to voice their concerns related to big stuff - based on results of that small competition.
It's OK for their favourites to get overscored, but don't the judges dare give someone they don't like even .01 more than they feel they deserve.

Also did you read that posters comments about Alysa? They were utterly disgusting and cruel. I certainly wouldn't talk that way, not even about my least favourite skater, so if they're going to claim they don't hate Alysa, well I don't believe them.
While you have a point - you should understand how you would feel in their place. I doubt you would be very pleasant to talk to with someone who tries to defend skater whose scores are threat to your favorite skater (let's say Plushenko) which you honestly believe is much better. In that sense I can understand saltynnes toward Medvedeva or Zagitova scores of Yuna fans or Osmond fans even on a small competitions - just as well.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In other words is just part of the big game. And only big game matters - so people feel compelled to voice their concerns related to big stuff - based on results of that small competition.
They were specifically complaining that Alysa's score was higher than Anna S earned two season ago. Anna's scores NOW are more than enough to beat Alysa.

Then this poster went further and promptly declared Alysa the most horrible skater in the world, unworthy to be on the ice, talentless, juvenile and a hack.

That is NOT defending your favourite that's being a total jerk.

I doubt you would be very pleasant to talk to with someone who tries to defend skater whose scores are threat to your favorite skater (let's say Plushenko) which you honestly believe is much better.
This makes no sense...and believe me there's posters all over the board who would gladly argue with me about just how overscored and undeserving Plushy is and nothing I could say would ever change their minds.

However, in terms of this argument, it would be like me complaining about Yuzu getting a higher SP score in Sochi than Plushy did for his Vancouver SP. The comparison is completely absurd!

With Anna there wasn't even a +5 system at Lombardia then. Who knows what her score would be today?

This was simply an excuse to attack Alysa and not just as a skater, but as a person. It was offensive and ugly.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
While you have a point - you should understand how you would feel in their place. I doubt you would be very pleasant to talk to with someone who tries to defend skater whose scores are threat to your favorite skater (let's say Plushenko) which you honestly believe is much better. In that sense I can understand saltynnes toward Medvedeva or Zagitova scores of Yuna fans or Osmond fans even on a small competitions - just as well.
:) Great point, well made ;) But I think you should quit while you are ahead. Take the W! It's going to be an L all around if it gets too late :D

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Alyssa Liu's classic choices actually make her stand out from the crowd - did not expect Don Quixote to have that effect on me. Plus I am partial to Tchaikovsky. Will be interesting to see whether she will get any of the difficult jumps back in time for the Olympics.

Have liked Kurakova always a lot and the programs were great. She is always good to watch, has that charisma and ability to convey emotions, characters and stories. Plus she is able to do different kinds of movement depending on the music styles which is incredibly rare in skating. The Chaplin FS is a great idea from Benoit, weaving the famous melodies with other music and creating different feelings with it. But not very many skaters could get away with it. Glad to see her on the podium and with a good start for the season!

E

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And some people feel compelled to squash the pleasure of others. Having no greater mission in life, it's as though they're internally programmed to erase smiles whenever they see them. They're the type who can light up a room, simply by leaving it.

icybear

Medalist
However, in terms of this argument, it would be like me complaining about Yuzu getting a higher SP score in Sochi than Plushy did for his Vancouver SP. The comparison is completely absurd!

With Anna there wasn't even a +5 system at Lombardia then. Who knows what her score would be today?

This was simply an excuse to attack Alysa and not just as a skater, but as a person. It was offensive and ugly.
The +5 system was implemented in the 2018-19 season. Anna skated in the 2019-20 season at Lombardia so the system was already in place

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
They were specifically complaining that Alysa's score was higher than Anna S earned two season ago. Anna's scores NOW are more than enough to beat Alysa.
So? It was perfectly valid complain. There is no sense to compare debut scores with third senior season scores. It's perfectly fair to compare senior debut scores of both skaters though. And Anna was noticeably better than Alysa both in her programs and interpretation in her senior debut - yet she got much less PCS score. Of course people (especially her fans) are gonna be salty about that. So why indignance?
Then this poster went further and promptly declared Alysa the most horrible skater in the world, unworthy to be on the ice, talentless, juvenile and a hack.

That is NOT defending your favourite that's being a total jerk.
Ok, you have a point here. They were too harsh there, without doubt. Still, it can be viewed as such only when comparing with best of the best. There are lot of skaters who are significantly worse than Alysa - and even her ill-wishers knows that. So when someone saying that some skater is bad - it's not meant he is bad absolutely. It means he is bad comparing to particular others. It's just a bother to mention it each time - in heat of discussion such labels are often unavoidable - so I think it should be pretty obvious to people who are used to internet arguments and shouldn't cause such a strong reaction. It's all relative. In my defense I would say that I am not the only one who are rather dismissive to Alysa - and not only one who tries to compare Lombardia Trophy with Russian Test Skates. Here is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9PhduySGc&t=2391s (watch at 39:51). Actually I agree with them there (which is surpising since usually I don't).

AlysaLiuStan

#Liunatic
On the Ice
Country
Italy
So? It was perfectly valid complain. There is no sense to compare debut scores with third senior season scores. It's perfectly fair to compare senior debut scores of both skaters though. And Anna was noticeably better than Alysa both in her programs and interpretation in her senior debut - yet she got much less PCS score. Of course people (especially her fans) are gonna be salty about that. So why indignance?
Maybe Alysa is just better. Ever thought about that? Not everything is a conspiracy against Russia. :rolleyes:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If someone is so threatened by another skater's score in a comp where their favorite didn't even compete, I don't know what to say. For me, that is beyond puzzling. From my point of view, one could possibly point out differences in performances in different comps by comparing elements to elements: this 3A was better here, this expression was better there, skating skills here and there were different because of X, Y and Z.

Otherwise, what's the point?

I suppose I should admire the commitment to "My skaters are the best, and that's that", but it doesn't mean I will ever understand it:shrug:

ETA: And again, I say this as someone who has not seen Alysa's skate and who has not seen any of the Russian test skates. I certainly did not see or if I did, don't remember, any Russian women's skate from two years ago. So for a comparison to make sense, it would need to be a true comparison, at least for me. :)

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I personally thought Alysa was the best in the field (it was quite right that she had a run away victory), and, no, perhaps not perfect. So? I'm still impressed by her joy in skating. By the way, there's complaining about PCS all the time. No need to turn that into an attack on a girl who is just doing her thing, and doing it well. And trying to improve, which is admireable.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The beauty of sports is that all the talk will need to be answered.

In due time, on the ice, we will find out who the contenders and pretenders truly are once the fields get tougher and the lights are shining brighter.

Being great and winning the much lower pressure Lombardia Trophy where you were the overwhelming favorite, or being historically great at test skates doesn’t mean anything in the larger scheme of things.

And what the scores were years ago don’t matter now.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Last edited: