2021 Skate Canada: Women's Free Skate | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Women's Free Skate

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think Mai is OK but not very exciting. She skates small, IMO. And I am not aware of any medical condition that is not life threatening that would cause her to be so thin.
I don't know how life threatening it is, but she frequently ended in hospital from her last junior season in 2015 to now.
When she went at her first competition after her one year break she was even more thin. She got better since, physically and skating-wise. But yes, in terms of speed and power into jumps she isn't at her old level yet.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has a rare condition, juvenile arthritis. She's missed a lot of training and competing because of it. It is a miracle that she is skating at that level.
That can be a serious illness, but extreme weight loss does not appear to be one of the symptoms. As for her skating, she is skating better than she did before. That is not the issue.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt an arena quarter to half full with random local Chinese audience members
who could afford to be there would go particularly crazy over this 🤷‍♂️

But here's hoping, Worst case maybe at Worlds
Olympic programs play to the TV audience, too.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
That can be a serious illness, but extreme weight loss does not appear to be one of the symptoms. As for her skating, she is skating better than she did before. That is not the issue.
I don't know the full details, but it sounds like she lost her appetite during the most recent spell of her illness. She does look terribly fragile, but her comeback is amazing. She more than deserves to go to the Olympics if she continues to do so well.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Less physical activity could contribute to muscle wastage and as an athlete that would make a considerable difference for her. However it's not really our place to speculate. We should just hope she's okay, whatever the cause.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed with Kamila.. oh my gosh.. what a skater she is.. I can NOT believe shes 15. Thats insane.. She is so well rounded it hurts. Russia spits out more record holders, and moves on from them than santa's work shop spits out toys at christmas. hahaha.

I was a bit disappointed by Mai's PCS scores.. No, she isnt the best skater in the events, she skates kind of small but she has great transitions, skating skills, components etc.. Trusova gets more than her.. If Mai is getting 65, I'd have Trusova at 63. In my opinion anyways.

I'm so so happy for Tuk. Shes the ONLY Russian skater to have stuck around, keep relevant and go against all odds and is still getting international medals. It have a feeling she will be on the olympic team. I really hope she gets to because lets face it, this is her last shot at it. Unless she pulls a Maria Butyrskaya and skates at 29 years old and wins a world medal again haha.

I was watching CBC in Canada.. the commentating makes me want to gag. Its so bias and everyone wins, everyone is great.. I cant handle that. Canadian women are in real limbo. Madeline is far and away Canada's best skater here even thought she was the national bronze medalist but she has a lot to work on.