2022-2023 Skate Canada Challenge - Juniors | Golden Skate

2022-2023 Skate Canada Challenge - Juniors

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2022-2023 Skate Canada Challenge will be hosted as two separate events for the first time ever, with the 2022-2023 Skate Canada Challenge – Junior/Senior set to be held at Seven Oaks Arena at Garden City Community Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba from November 30 to December 3, 2022, while the Pre-Novice/Novice event will be held in 2023.

The event will welcome over 200 junior and senior skaters from across the country who will be vying for a shot to compete at the 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships in early January.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Time shown is Manitoba's time. (CST)

Rink A​

As of November 15, 2022. Subject to changes

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 30
12:00
JUNIOR MEN SHORT PROGRAM
15:28
JUNIOR PAIR SHORT PROGRAM
THURSDAY DECEMBER 1
12:00
JUNIOR MEN FREE PROGRAM
15:56
JUNIOR PAIR FREE PROGRAM
FRIDAY DECEMBER 2
12:30
JUNIOR WOMEN SHORT PROGRAM
SATURDAY DECEMBER 3
10:30
JUNIOR WOMEN FREE PROGRAM

Rink B​

As of November 15, 2022. Subject to changes

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 30
15:00
JUNIOR ICE DANCE RHYTHM DANCE
THURSDAY DECEMBER 1
15:25
JUNIOR ICE DANCE FREE DANCE

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
49.85 for Foroglou-Gadoury/Desmarais
? for Estepa/Hickey (feed died)

65.91 for Gauthier/Thieren

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Current standings
  1. Gauthier/Thieren - 65.91
  2. Yu/Giang - 60.74
  3. Veillon/Brandys - 57.8
  4. Sabatini-Speciale/Buelow - 57.35
  5. Lewis/McMillan - 55.12
  6. Estepa/Hickey - 50.19
  7. Foroglou-Gadoury/Desmarais - 49.85
  8. Ho/Yu - 45.27

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
51.85 for Korneva/MacDonald
56.37 for Ben Khelifa/Zhu
48.27 for Hubert/Oddson

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
One final flight of Junior Girls is left. I chimed in just in time to see the girl from Manitoba celebrate with qualifying to Nationals. Abbie Baltzer leads right now with a score of almost 150. Followed by Fee Ann and Megan, who must have skated well to move up in the standings. Both with scores over 140.

I expect Kara to win with 160+. She is super consistent. But, after watching Senior Ladies, you never know.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lulu Lin scored 110 in her free skate. She is in first place at 165 😳 (only skater over 150) with three more skaters left. I thought Lulu was overscored after her short program. And now, I thought she was overscored in the free skate. But, the judges seem to love her.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think this layout is too ambitious for Rose at this point and she doesn't have the right amount of experience or mental awareness during the skate to switch around jumps and combinations to avoid +REP or only two combinations.

And I must say, her 2A has one of the scariest techniques I've ever seen, which is a shame because her other jumps look technically very solid (her 3S in particular is just gorgeous).

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Lulu Lin scored 110 in her free skate. She is in first place at 165 😳 (only skater over 150) with three more skaters left. I thought Lulu was overscored after her short program. And now, I thought she was overscored in the free skate. But, the judges seem to love her.
I didn't see her skate, just the replays, but I was honestly a bit surprised at the score as well.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Damn, this was a pretty good skate for Aleksa - Just one fall, on the 3S(?)+2A. Some wobbly landings, which lack a bit of speed and flow, but still well done. And her Ina Bauer is very nice, too.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes. Aleksa is the best spinner. She is solidly in second place with a score over 160.
Hetty Shi has a lot of potential. High jumps. But, lots of falls today.
Ok, time for Kara to show everybody who is boss in CAN Juniors

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Oh, Hetty... It started pretty well, but it just fell apart a bit in the second half. It's a shame, because Hetty is a very enjoyable skater to watch otherwise (even if her jumps do have a bit of a problem with a wandering axis).

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Kara did enough to win. Even with a fall in her opening combo. She is solid, like always. Another 160+ event for her. But, I hate her program and to me she just skates through the music like a robot.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I think Kara did enough to win. Even with a fall in her opening combo. She is solid, like always. Another 160+ event for her. But, I hate her program and to me she just skates through the music like a robot.
I'm also worried about her spins. While her jumps are pretty solid, she seems to struggle with spins a lot, leaving some comparatively "easy" points on the table.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow! Kara scored just over 170 now. I didn’t expect that. Another solid win for her. She is so consistent.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Good to see some big scores and some comeback skates... DIdn't watch.. just looked at protocols. 18 qualify? I would guess there were no byes?