2022-23 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Just watched Mai's new FS at The Ice and she looks really good! I was blown away by her improvements since the end of last season, and she was incredible then. I like the program a lot, it's different for her but still shows off her incredible movement quality (plus there's a spiral that lasts from one end of the ice to the other! take that Dani G!). She looks way more confident than she did compared to last season, and was flying around the rink! The jumps looked really solid for the most part as well aside from the 2As, which were a bit sketchy. I hope she can have a breakout season this year, but why is there so much depth in women right now? There are like 10 women in Japan who could get assigned to Worlds 😭
Wow yes, it's stunning! Mai looks much stronger physically too.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Off topic but would anyone be interested in threads for Kinoshita Trophy, Kanto Summer Trophy and Kitakyushu Open (still called Iizuka Cup?)
And if so, where would these threads be most appropriate?
I'm guessing in the Summer Competitions section?

Yes, me, thank you! I want to know how Mitsuki did in Iizuka. I am still surprised the competition is taking place (but happy about that), I think it was said a few years ago that Iizuka would be discontinued.
I agree with the other poster, the ideal place would be Japan national competitions.

n1co

Rinkside
5th 鈴 木 華 乃
Hanano Suzuki (Kinoshita Academy) 72.54 (Butterfly Lovers' Violin Concerto)
In addition to upgrading 3Lo, 3F and 3Lz from doubles it appears she's grown and stretched out A LOT over the last season
She has time to adjust and stabilize her jumps but I feel like she's better known for performance ability anyway
Another strong candidate for Pairs or ID, methinks
The worst you can do to the kid is to lose faith in them when their jumps don't work for some time.
There is what? six years? before she will go to seniors? She has time. :)
And there is enough girls with toe loop and salchow only to go pairs/ice dance if needed.

Btw, the same about Daimon. Idk what happened last season (right now it's pretty obvious she is injured), but she is definitely capable of clean FP. She has 3 years to collect herself. She will be ok. :)

Better ask wtf are Hamadas even thinking with teaming up Murakami and Moriguchi, when he is 20 and will age out of juniors next season, but she will have to wait until 2026/2027 season? They won't be able to compete for 3 years! Can't Moriguchi team up with Sae Shimizu instead?

Last edited:

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Marin Honda is still skating ? I wish to see her this season in some competition, she has to me the best presence and skating skill in Japan, she is a gift skater underated for me. I love her.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Marin Honda is still skating ? I wish to see her this season in some competition, she has to me the best presence and skating skill in Japan, she is a gift skater underated for me. I love her.

She hasn't retired AFAIK, and she was skating in shows this summer. International assignments are out of the question this season, but someone may upload regionals, sectionals and Nationals (if she qualifies for Nats). I agree she's gifted and I also enjoy her programs, but she's been struggling with jumps which is hurting her scores a lot.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Marin Honda technique never looked stable for me I think that was the main problem with her aside from her growth spurt and problems with her past coaches, a diamond wasted indeed but I'm not a fan of her honestly

Joekaz

On the Ice
Marin Honda technique never looked stable for me I think that was the main problem with her aside from her growth spurt and problems with her past coaches, a diamond wasted indeed but I'm not a fan of her honestly
I agree. Its a shame when great natural ability is wasted when so few have it today. Im sick of the hard working overachievers myself. Give me the naturally talented every time, and I'll hope they work hard too. Lol

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
From the summer domestic competitions currently undergoing (please see the discussions here for further details):

Jr. women -
Mao Shimada landed a 3A in her FS (too bad about the 4Tq-fall); Ami Nakai also attempted 3Aq but landed with hand
(Kinoshita Trophy-protocol)

Mone Chiba was attempting 4T in FS (but it got <<, but nice try!)
(Tanabata Cup - protocol)

Sr. Women (from Kinoshta Trophy FS)
Hana Yoshida landed a 3A; Kinayu Yokoi's 3A< was with a fall; Rion Sumiyoshi's 4Tq was also with a fall
(Kinoshita Trophy Sr women-protocol)

Last edited:

fehervari

On the Ice
I agree. Its a shame when great natural ability is wasted when so few have it today. Im sick of the hard working overachievers myself. Give me the naturally talented every time, and I'll hope they work hard too. Lol
I feel that Honda Marin is one of the most remarkable athletes. maybe she made a mistake a few years ago, but now she's here and working. she will never jump 3A, she will never make the Japanese national team, but her personality, her talented in dance and in coreography are needed

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I would like to see Yuna Shiraiwa, Mako Yamashita, Tomoe Kawabata and Nana Araki in a good shape again
So far Mako and Nana both skated earlier during the summer local competition (in Nagoya), and I believe both will continue. Tomoe's name finally shows up in the Tokyo Summer Cup, which will take place at the end of August. The only information we don't have is from Yuna...I don't think she trains with Hamada anymore.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Aaaggghh I can't wait to see the juniors participate in the jgp series, I think this is the first season after so many before where we really have good prospects, Mao Shimada has 3A and 4T, Hanna Yoshida has 3A and I saw her doing 3A-3T as well, Ami Nagai has a 3A, Mone Chiba is trying the 4S, Ayumi Shibayama was trying the 3A and Ikura Kushida programs looks interesting, but I think the most important thing here is that it looks ladies are coming with consistency this year

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Yeah, the Japanese junior ladies are looking stronger than usual. I’m especially looking forward to little Shimada. She may end up being the first skater I’ve followed from novice years on.

Status
Not open for further replies.