2022 4CCs: Women - Thoughts? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 4CCs: Women - Thoughts?

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I meant "soothing" as: no splatfest, no Russians who all have the same choreographer and it shows.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
What is a dynamic program for you?
A program with quads and 3A? Or a program like Yuhana Yokoi's which definitely doesn't have "ice princess" choreo?
Shsherbakova's both programs, Talyegard's both programs, Mikutina's free, Hendrixx's free, Kostornaia's short, Liu's short, Levito's free - to name a few from latest programs in this season. That's what I call dynamic program - either due to upbeat music theme, whole program's mood change or focus on musical accents. Many Asian and American skaters are known for their very basic "safe" choices in regards to programs and music, unfortunately. That can be pleasing to watch for some people - but it's never going to be "star material" even with clean skate. People tends to remember bold choices.
I meant "soothing" as: no splatfest, no Russians who all have the same choreographer and it shows.
Splatfests is almost unavoidable with harder content. Of course with so many double jumps they are gonna be stable. It's not exciting to watch for me.

Last edited:

cmk

Rinkside
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Starr needs a new coach and choreographer. You can tell she has the talent but, something just isn't clicking with her current team. She's running out of time to become a medal threat at Nationals. If she's going to continue, I hope she finds the right team. I wish her the best.
I agree. She at least needs a jump coach that will push her to learn the 3lutz . If she can't get a lutz, she's going to have to work on 3axels or 4toes to overcome the disadvantage of not having a lutz. I wanted her to go see Surya ( the French skater known for her jumps) after she won the first fairbanks award but I don't think she did. Surya coaches in Vegas.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well the Asian and Americans with the dynamic programs by your definition were going to olys.
And about the tech content, that was the standard just in the last quad. It isn't so far away. I guess it wasn't exciting for you to see Medvedeva wins comp after comp with her super hard 3S-3T and 2A-2T-2T.

Last edited:

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Well the Asian and Americans with the dynamic programs by your definition were going to olys.
And about the tech content, that was the standard just in the last quad. It isn't so far away. I guess it wasn't exciting for you to see Medvedeva wins comp after comp with her super hard 3S-3T and 2A-2T-2T.
Exactly. I never was Medvedeva fan. Still, it's not because of her content though.. as I said before - I like Taliegard's programs with even easier jumps. It's just that clean programs and stability can't be a virtue and something to boast about - with easy content. It should be a given instead of a feat. So when people start to praise skaters with such content because they didn't fall even once - it looks.. out of place for me, tbh.

Last edited:

Teddy99

Rinkside
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Starr needs a new coach and choreographer. You can tell she has the talent but, something just isn't clicking with her current team. She's running out of time to become a medal threat at Nationals. If she's going to continue, I hope she finds the right team. I wish her the best.
Those were my exact thoughts as she skated at 4CC, and Nationals...all season actually. If she wants to challenge for any podium the time is now to push its not too late for her to make a #BigGirlMove

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Exactly. I never was Medvedeva fan. Still, it's not because of her content though.. as I said before - I like Taliegard's programs with even easier jumps. It's just that clean programs and stability can't be a virtue and something to boast about - with easy content. It should be a given instead of a feat. So when people start to praise skaters with such content because they didn't fall even once - it looks.. out of place for me, tbh.
Quads and 3A in women aren't the standard yet in international events. At least 24 on 30 skaters will attempt 7 triples programs or lower at olys.
It may be less exciting but i think that a clean 7 triples program with all combos at the end is a feat. Many would make mistakes.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Does anyone except the Russians even attempt quads? I know Kihira Rika was on it, but who knows what's going to happen with her. Ther seem to be more 3As or at least attempts than 10 years ago, but other than that...I want them to push tech content, but not at the cost of everything else.
And there's still a qualitative difference between the top three ladies at 4CC and what we saw from the non-top ladies at Europeans if you ask me.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does anyone except the Russians even attempt quads? I know Kihira Rika was on it, but who knows what's going to happen with her. Ther seem to be more 3As or at least attempts than 10 years ago, but other than that...I want them to push tech content, but not at the cost of everything else.
And there's still a qualitative difference between the top three ladies at 4CC and what we saw from the non-top ladies at Europeans if you ask me.

I think Mao Shimada goes for 4T in competitions, but she is not senior eligible. There were rumors about Young You practicing 4T, but I don't know if she's ever landed it in competition.