2023 4CC: Women | Thoughts | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023 4CC: Women | Thoughts

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I guess it is always the question of how you define beauty. I guess millenials and z-ers see it differently from the baby boomers but those I know reach out for it anyhow. I am based in Europe and maybe do not know enough about America. But I do believe in human nature and the longing for beauty has always been a part of it. And the skaters are mostly millenials and/or z-ers themselves.
The audiences want to feel something and the true performers want to make them feel. That's universal and I do not think it has ever changed. The means change, but not the basics.
I guess I don't share your optimism. I think there's been a lot of culture shift since 1993 in America when I started watching the sport. I myself have always seen figure skating as a sport first, an art second. Great athletic performances at least 90% of the time stand out to me more than artistic programs. I rewatch Tara Lipinski 1998 Olympics, Sarah Hughes 2002 Olympics, Kimmie Meissner 2006 Worlds, Alina Zagitova 2018 Olympics, and Anna Shcherbakova 2022 Olympics, and Nathan Chen 2021 Worlds a lot. I think one of my only artistic exceptions is Matt Savoie's 2006 long program, which I probably still watch at least once a year. I can't even say I rewatch Jason Brown, even if I think his skating is beautiful in the moment.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This seems to have gotten off the topic, but I think we should remember that our own personal likes and dislikes ("I myself") are anything but a good guide to what is popular/not popular in our own backyard let alone country, especially with different demographics. But seeing "figure skating as a sport first, an art second" is obviously not working for the majority of potential viewers. Would going back to a balanced blend of athletics, actual skating skills and artistry work? I don't know. Couldn't hurt to try.

Well, anyway, to go back to somewhat on topic... I can only hope Levito is a hell of a lot tougher than most 15 year olds should have to be, because the pressure to be The One is not going to go away. And to be fair, the Korean girls all have something similar, to be the next Yuna (which of course they almost certainly can't) but at least there are more of them.

Last edited:

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This seems to have gotten off the topic, but I think we should remember that our own personal ("I myself") likes and dislikes are anything but a good guide to what is popular/not popular in our own backyard let alone country, especially with different demographics. But seeing "figure skating as a sport first, an art second" is obviously not working for the majority of potential viewers. Would going back to a balanced blend of athletics, actual skating skills and artistry work? I don't know, but an expensive sport that refuses to evolve away from what is not working... ummm.

Well, anyway, to go back to somewhat on topc... I can only hope Levito is a hell of a lot tougher than most 15 year olds should have to be, because the pressure to be The One is not going to go away. And to be fair, the Korean girls all have something similar, to be the next Yuna (which of course they almost certainly can't).
USFS literally tried it with more artistic skaters (Mariah Bell and Karen Chen) and it didn't fix anything. That's why I'm hopeful for Isabeau...because she has both.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
USFS literally tried it with more artistic skaters (Mariah Bell and Karen Chen) and it didn't fix anything. That's why I'm hopeful for Isabeau...because she has both.
They didn't have the athletics, did they? Bell sure wasn't that artistic, either. I suggested a blend of all three aspects.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do like Isabeau and I agree she may captivate audiences. I did root for her throughout her junior career and was really happy for her to grab the junior title. But I do not see her as the best female senior skater on the planet. Not yet, by no means. That would be a huge exaggeration. Maybe it will come, we'll see, I wish her well, but just let her take her time and call her that when she actually becomes one. Please.
I didn't in any way, shape or form call her the best female senior skater on the planet. If I seem defensive, it's because you seem to be addressing me personally, by quoting me and taking your remarks from there.

As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone is the best female senior skater on the planet. I just don't think that way. There are so many possible combinations of ways figure skaters can combine technical skills, skating skills and performance skills. It's not like measuring distance skating or running laps. That's what makes figure skating so wonderful, IMO. There's something for everyone. Isabeau has a particular combination and quality of skills that make my heart sing, as did, for an example very far from Isabeau, Ashley Cain and Timothy Leduc.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Errr.... this is exactly what I mean about overblown overhyping of an up and comer.

I don't think it's over-hyping a skater to say what appeals to me about their skating (especially when over the past few years, the jumping often seems to have overtaken everything else in points value). And I notice that a lot of other people see and love the same qualities in Isabeau as I do.

Michelle Kwan had a similar balance of technical and performance skills, or artistry, at age 15 as Isabeau does. She also had already shown great mental and competitive strength, as Isabeau has.

One difference is the labeling of the qualities we want to see. In Michelle's day, the second mark was called the presentation mark. That allowed for differences. Some skaters were and are more artistic, some have great performance qualities that may or may not be seen as artistic, and some have soul. There's something for everyone and every taste.

noskates

Record Breaker
Is it overhyping to want to know and look for information about a skater that you have an interest in? If you want to discuss the "overhyping"of Alyssa - I guess you never met her father. He was everywhere that she was and would talk to anybody about her. I still say if you want to protect your child/skater, don't make them available for interviews and photo shoots and don't talk about them all the time. Protect them instead of putting them out there!

Magill

Record Breaker
I didn't in any way, shape or form call her the best female senior skater on the planet. If I seem defensive, it's because you seem to be addressing me personally, by quoting me and taking your remarks from there.

As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone is the best female senior skater on the planet. I just don't think that way. There are so many possible combinations of ways figure skaters can combine technical skills, skating skills and performance skills. It's not like measuring distance skating or running laps. That's what makes figure skating so wonderful, IMO. There's something for everyone. Isabeau has a particular combination and quality of skills that make my heart sing, as did, for an example very far from Isabeau, Ashley Cain and Timothy Leduc.
Oh, it was a "general you", not a "personal you". I know you did not say that. I am so sorry if you felt personally attacked or offended. Was not my intention.