2023 4CC: Women | Thoughts | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 4CC: Women | Thoughts

b-man

Final Flight
B-man, didnt I see you at Nats with a new (to you) type of hat?
Wore a Bengals baseball cap 2 days and a leathers newsboy? type a couple days. (I live outside of Cincinnati) Happy next nationals in Columbus, less than 2 hours. Columbus a nice town, you should reconsider skipping nationals.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wore a Bengals baseball cap 2 days and a leathers newsboy? type a couple days. (I live outside of Cincinnati) Happy next nationals in Columbus, less than 2 hours. Columbus a nice town, you should reconsider skipping nationals.
Saw you in the ball cap! I was masked so I wasnt sure you would recognize me or that was you. Good to see you up and about and doing well.
Thanks but no thanks.....I dont do well in cities although I was very surprised at how nice Omaha, Milwaukee, and Kansas city was/were. Glad you have next nats....enjoy it. I am gonna do two days in San Diego walking the waterfront and then board a small cruise ship for Ft. Lauderdale for 17 days....I have done it before and its a blast....

b-man

Final Flight
Saw you in the ball cap! I was masked so I wasnt sure you would recognize me or that was you. Good to see you up and about and doing well.
Thanks but no thanks.....I dont do well in cities although I was very surprised at how nice Omaha, Milwaukee, and Kansas city was/were. Glad you have next nats....enjoy it. I am gonna do two days in San Diego walking the waterfront and then board a small cruise ship for Ft. Lauderdale for 17 days....I have done it before and its a blast....
No, I didn't see/ recognize you. My back is going out, otherwise healthy. Columbus more similar to Kansas City than west coast cities, fewer homeless, etc. I didn't wear a mask in San Jose, took a little vitamin C, Zinc, and gargled with Listerine. Those cruises can be lovely and relaxing, but always carry a covid risk.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No, I didn't see/ recognize you. My back is going out, otherwise healthy. Columbus more similar to Kansas City than west coast cities, fewer homeless, etc. I didn't wear a mask in San Jose, took a little vitamin C, Zinc, and gargled with Listerine. Those cruises can be lovely and relaxing, but always carry a covid risk.
KC felt safe and had the wonderful WWI national Museum....covid is sad because one third of those that have it dont know it and shed viral loads....thankfully, many dont seem to get it hard enough to get sick....but many of us old people are still dieing . Glad Ting is better...I feel like I now have my balance back to 90 percent....I was still careful walking down the aisles at Four CCs. The US is down to 3500 weekly deaths and pretty steady....that will only be 182,000 this year if things hold well.....keep your fingers crossed.
Cruises, crowded skating sections, restaurants....Aircraft.....the risk for illness of all kinds is everywhere....fortunately, many just get sick and live....
Love the skating at Four conts....I always love seeing Amber but the Koreans and Japanese make the event for me....

b-man

Final Flight
KC felt safe and had the wonderful WWI national Museum....covid is sad because one third of those that have it dont know it and shed viral loads....thankfully, many dont seem to get it hard enough to get sick....but many of us old people are still dieing . Glad Ting is better...I feel like I now have my balance back to 90 percent....I was still careful walking down the aisles at Four CCs. The US is down to 3500 weekly deaths and pretty steady....that will only be 182,000 this year if things hold well.....keep your fingers crossed.
Cruises, crowded skating sections, restaurants....Aircraft.....the risk for illness of all kinds is everywhere....fortunately, many just get sick and live....
Love the skating at Four conts....I always love seeing Amber but the Koreans and Japanese make the event for me....

I got covid in Sept, despite 3 shots, lasted 4 days. I went to Thailand for a month in Nov. Had tickets for SC, but didn't go. I just have difficulty climbing steps in the arena. First time at nationals without a car, walked from the Flamingo, very, very dated, to Sap Center every day.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Since Isabeau isn't on Twitter (thank goodness!) I wanted to say that whatever emotions u were feeling on the night of the free skate, it's ok! You are worth more than a 4CC medal! The world did not end because you missed the free skate. If you don't wish to disclose what went on, that's ok too.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I got covid in Sept, despite 3 shots, lasted 4 days. I went to Thailand for a month in Nov. Had tickets for SC, but didn't go. I just have difficulty climbing steps in the arena. First time at nationals without a car, walked from the Flamingo, very, very dated, to Sap Center every day.
I had five shots including the all important bivalent booster. No vax keeps you from being infected....it keeps the infection down to where you will maybe not even know you have it....or helps you live....All told, including "rebound" covid, I measured positive for about 12 days.....Science is still working on when paxlovid should be given and for how long....
My friends who stayed at the Flamingo were very happy with it...most had cars and money for parking. I think I could have been happy at either place, actually. The Arena Hotel was quiet, clean, and nearby...but with only yuppie expensive food store and a liquer store nearby....but so sad to see all the locked gates around the area and the closed farmacia....Uber worked well....For me, walking to the Flamingo and its nearby eateries was easy....
Funny story. The elevator at the Arena hotel was out of commision as were a number of ice machines so I shlepped my friends' luggage up to the third floor for them! LOL!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Since Isabeau isn't on Twitter (thank goodness!) I wanted to say that whatever emotions u were feeling on the night of the free skate, it's ok! You are worth more than a 4CC medal! The world did not end because you missed the free skate. If you don't wish to disclose what went on, that's ok too.
ITA. I have no idea if the rumors are garbage or truth....not my business. Sometimes I wonder if kids should even be allowed to have social media. I have certain afflictions which I carry meds for.....and a small amount of water if I need to take them....I dont know if they are legal for skaters to have in their systems but its a good thing I dont skate.....hope she continues.....

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting event. Lots of pre-event complaining in certain quarters by fans who feared U.S. skaters would be favored. LOL! Judging & tech panel makeup is what determines scores and tech calls.

South Korea and Japan are dominating in the absence of the Russians, and clearly they will for some time. It's still the case that U.S. women hold the record for the most medals at Worlds and Olympics, even despite not winning much in recent years. That record will be eclipsed at some point. Let's see by which country: Japan, South Korea, or Russia?

ITA that sadly South Korean skaters are overworked by their federation. This is probably why their top ladies often look joyless like they are doing a necessary, but uninspired job. That's why it was nice to see Haien Lee breaking out with big smiles and satisfaction during her fp. It's not that Yelim Kim and Haien don't have the capacity for better expressiveness. It's just that they skate sometimes like they feel the burden of pressure to be perfect and maybe sometimes they are tired from the overtraining and competing. Chaeyeon Kim is generally more expressive.

Mone Chiba of Japan is a lovely skater, but it was noticeable that her URs were not called. Bradie is the poster lady for being constantly held up for microscopic scrutiny and thus always getting dinged, even on close calls, when others with close calls are not held to perfection.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Personally, I enjoy Bradie's programs, and I like the concepts and themes inspired by both her sp and fp. Kudos to Bradie on her determined comeback after difficult and disappointing injury. She has been too often pushed aside by U.S. fed in favor of over-focus on young over-hyped phenoms. No diss to Alysa and Isabeau, et al. It's just that U.S. fed overdoes the spotlight scrutiny, over-hype and favoritism. Spread the support and full backing more evenly please!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Personally, I enjoy Bradie's programs, and I like the concepts and themes inspired by both her sp and fp. Kudos to Bradie on her determined comeback after difficult and disappointing injury. She has been too often pushed aside by U.S. fed in favor of over-focus on young over-hyped phenoms. No diss to Alysa and Isabeau, et al. It's just that U.S. fed overdoes the spotlight scrutiny, over-hype and favoritism. Spread the support and full backing more evenly please!
Bradie herself benefited from fed's favoritism when she came out of nowhere in 2017-2018 and won the US title.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Interesting event. Lots of pre-event complaining in certain quarters by fans who feared U.S. skaters would be favored. LOL! Judging & tech panel makeup is what determines scores and tech calls.

South Korea and Japan are dominating in the absence of the Russians, and clearly they will for some time. It's still the case that U.S. women hold the record for the most medals at Worlds and Olympics, even despite not winning much in recent years. That record will be eclipsed at some point. Let's see by which country: Japan, South Korea, or Russia?

ITA that sadly South Korean skaters are overworked by their federation. This is probably why their top ladies often look joyless like they are doing a necessary, but uninspired job. That's why it was nice to see Haien Lee breaking out with big smiles and satisfaction during her fp. It's not that Yelim Kim and Haien don't have the capacity for better expressiveness. It's just that they skate sometimes like they feel the burden of pressure to be perfect and maybe sometimes they are tired from the overtraining and competing. Chaeyeon Kim is generally more expressive.

Mone Chiba of Japan is a lovely skater, but it was noticeable that her URs were not called. Bradie is the poster lady for being constantly held up for microscopic scrutiny and thus always getting dinged, even on close calls, when others with close calls are not held to perfection.
I dont spread gossip I hope but this Korean lady I spoke with said there are strict rules in Korea about who gets backing and ice time. and when. IMHO this is the hardest sport I have ever seen....artistry, musicality, athletism, injury, financial and family committment and mental stress. Not to mention the time it all takes. I just hope the skaters arent looking at me and blaming Me for it all....

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Bradie herself benefited from fed's favoritism when she came out of nowhere in 2017-2018 and won the US title.
🤣🤣🤣😂 This is off-the mark by a wide margin. 🙄 Plus, in terms of URs, it's the international judges who enjoy using Bradie as the scapegoat and scrutinizing her to the nth degree, while often overlooking similar close calls by her competitors.

FYI-- Bradie has always built her success on hard work and self-determination. She's always been better than the other ladies at U.S. Nats when she has deservedly won. 🎖️And sometimes Bradie has been better when U.S. fed preferred favoring Alysa, Mariah, or Karen for wins over Bradie.

Amber Glenn was always the odd lady out with her tremendous talent, but fragile self-belief and spotty consistency. This quad, it looks as though U.S. fed is finally coming around to supporting Amber, in the absence of Mariah, Karen, and Alysa. 🤔 But Amber is so used to not being supported, she seems surprised by this new state of affairs. Amber could be beating everyone with her amazing talent, but she seemingly needs to gain mental strength and self-belief.

Meanwhile, U.S. fed apparently is treating Bradie like they did the stalwart Ashley Wagner. Like their sturdy workhorse backup, to count on when all else fails. That strategy though isn't helpful nor respectful.

As usual, just like the sport in general, U.S. fed places all their eggs in the basket of young teenage phenoms who are still developing physically and emotionally, while piling huge amounts of stress on their bodies. Clearly, Isabeau Levito is U.S. fed's current fave female skater they are trying to ride all the way to 2026. Levito is brimming with talent, but she also needs help with improving her jump technique, speed, and power, as she matures. Isabeau's best assets are her strong self-belief, mental steadiness, and stellar consistency. It must have been difficult for her to have to WD at the last minute from the fp at 4CCs.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Bradie did come out of nowhere at 2018 Nationals. But I never got the idea her win was due to favoritism.. She seemed to clearly beat fan favorites Wagner, Mirai and Karen.
Her being the only consistent skater that year made the fed overmark her. Like, her scores were too high for what she was showing imo. Maybe she deserved to win but not that clearly. She wasn't that better.

🤣🤣🤣😂 This is off-the mark by a wide margin. 🙄 Plus, in terms of URs, it's the international judges who enjoy using Bradie as the scapegoat and scrutinizing her to the nth degree, while often overlooking similar close calls by her competitors.

FYI-- Bradie has always built her success on hard work and self-determination. She's always been better than the other ladies at U.S. Nats when she has deservedly won. 🎖️And sometimes Bradie has been better when U.S. fed preferred favoring Alysa, Mariah, or Karen for wins over Bradie.

Amber Glenn was always the odd lady out with her tremendous talent, but fragile self-belief and spotty consistency. This quad, it looks as though U.S. fed is finally coming around to supporting Amber, in the absence of Mariah, Karen, and Alysa. 🤔 But Amber is so used to not being supported, she seems surprised by this new state of affairs. Amber could be beating everyone with her amazing talent, but she seemingly needs to gain mental strength and self-belief.

Meanwhile, U.S. fed apparently is treating Bradie like they did the stalwart Ashley Wagner. Like their sturdy workhorse backup, to count on when all else fails. That strategy though isn't helpful nor respectful.

As usual, just like the sport in general, U.S. fed places all their eggs in the basket of young teenage phenoms who are still developing physically and emotionally, while piling huge amounts of stress on their bodies. Clearly, Isabeau Levito is U.S. fed's current fave female skater they are trying to ride all the way to 2026. Levito is brimming with talent, but she also needs help with improving her jump technique, speed, and power, as she matures. Isabeau's best assets are her strong self-belief, mental steadiness, and stellar consistency. It must have been difficult for her to have to WD at the last minute from the fp at 4CCs.
I wonder what is the difference between Isabeau and Bradie in their first senior season.
They both came into seniors when none of the other girls were particularly strong or consistent. In both cases, USfed gave its support to the most consistent one.
Was Bradie better artistically to deserve her support and her title while Isabeau isn't? Or was she better technically while Isabeau isn't not only mostly rotating her jump but also attempting harder layouts?
The only difference imo was that Isabeau was successful in juniors and her senior success was expected while Bradie was far from being in the same case.
I don't understand why Bradie was deserving her success then but Isabeau isn't.

And now, it isn't like Bradie is in top shape and doesn't have URs issues anymore.

PS: I'm talking about Isabeau in response of your first post i was responding to.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember the first time I saw Bradie compete as a Senior (I saw her earlier in her career as a tiny junior with white-blond hair). It was at an early-season Challenger, and this tall girl with mile-long legs blew me away. That was the beginning of a season where she won a GP medal and went to the Olympics.

I also remember Isabeau when she competed in Intermediates (alongside Lindsay Thorngren). Her love of performing was what impressed me then.

They are both compelling skaters, and both have nerves of steel. I enjoy watching both of them skate.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I dont spread gossip I hope but this Korean lady I spoke with said there are strict rules in Korea about who gets backing and ice time. and when. IMHO this is the hardest sport I have ever seen....artistry, musicality, athletism, injury, financial and family committment and mental stress. Not to mention the time it all takes. I just hope the skaters arent looking at me and blaming Me for it all....

It looks like the lady in the background is staring at someone else to blame :slink: .