2022 CS Finlandia Trophy: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 CS Finlandia Trophy: Info and Pre-game Chat

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am interested in seeing how FB/S of CAN fare against G/P of the USA. This could show how far FB/S will be dropping in ranking again this year.
i remain optimistic ;) FBS may rise back up... they didn't have their best outing at worlds.. they were dropped too but nobody liked their programs...etc... i am pretty sure they cannot drop too far down because Canada needs 3 spots for Montreal worlds :)

Paz

Rinkside
So. Entries are out, and my fears are confirmed: not a single Japanese skater. I absolutely despise Japanese Federation for what they did to their skaters this season. And to their foreign fans.
- Kana and Daisuke. No Challenger. Their counterparts got one.
- Mai, Rino, Yuhana, Rion, all without a Challenger. Kaori, Wakaba, Rinka and Mana all got one.
- all the best Japanese men except for Koshiro and Kazuki - no Challenger.
Thanks, JSF and Kinoshita, you have managed to completely turn me off Koshiro with your undeserved prezzies for him, although he seems to be a nice boy and a decent skater otherwise.
It might have to do with Japan Open/Carnival on Ice happening at the same time. Even though not all interesting Japanese skaters will participate in JO, the Japanese Fed and sponsors don’t want fans focusing on anything but JO during that time. Just my guess.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It might have to do with Japan Open/Carnival on Ice happening at the same time. Even though not all interesting Japanese skaters will participate in JO, the Japanese Fed and sponsors don’t want fans focusing on anything but JO during that time. Just my guess.

It usually happens at this time though, IIRC. That's why Shoma used to be assigned to early September events like Lombardia. Two years ago he was in Finlandia though, so not sure JO is a factor.
What JSF is doing is highly unusual, and many skaters are deprived of their rightful chance to get World Standings points. Even if we consider the JO and JGP skaters as unavailable, we have: Kao Miura, Shun Sato, Sota Yamamoto, Tatsuya Tsuboi, Sena Miyake, Mai Mihara, Rino Matsuike, Rion Sumiyoshi, and possibly Yuhana Yokoi among skaters who are without a Challenger, although many of them sorely need it, with their counterparts from almost all other countries getting Challengers and getting points for them.

If any of the skaters above gets injured now, and does poorly in their GP, they will not have any points for this season at all. Or, if they get a spring event, they will not have a chance for a new SB, because spring events are not counted among competitions where you can get a new SB. Some, like Sena and Yuhana, only have one GP, and in hard fields, so they have one single chance to get a new SB and points to keep themselves relevant. That's not just nasty and unfair, that's super stressful and downright cruel to skaters, especially from a federation that has top class skaters and lots of money like JSF.

I repeat what I've said elsewhere - they never behaved this way before, and they're not likely to assign to later Challengers due to GP/Nationals conflict. Later Challengers are not in their calendar anyway, AFAIK. So their skaters are scr**ed if they don't bring it on on the GP circuit.
Because Sota is my favorite, I am especially angry for his sake. So far, he would have won every single Challenger that has been held so far. He's competed 3 times this season, scoring 270+, 260+ and 250+. And that's without home cooking because Japanese judges are always strict to their skaters. But because JSF keeps him at home and his scores are domestic, it's Malinins and Frangipanis with 300 points for Challenger victories, and if Sota gets injured or fatigued by the time GP comes up, noone in the world will know about his results.
There is no possible justification for sabotaging many of one's own skaters' careers like this.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Lots of withdrawals

Pairs: Anastasiia METELKINA / Daniil PARKMAN GEO, Nika OSIPOVA / Dmitry EPSTEIN NED
Dance: Solene MAZINGUE / Marko Jevgeni GAIDAJENKO EST, Aleksandra SAMERSOVA / Kevin OJALA EST, Maria KAZAKOVA / Georgy REVIYA GEO, Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Mikhail NOSOVITSKIY ISR
Women: Jogaile AGLINSKYTE LTU, Antonina DUBININA SRB, Emelie LING SWE

Dance field is down to only 8 entrants from 5 countries!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
There will be a live stream but you have to pay.
Further information about the stream, how/where to watch and the costs: https://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/info/live-stream/

It seems you have to sign up to get the exact pricing for this event, as the costs posted are a range rather than an exact price. I read elsewhere that it's 24.9 Euros for all 4 days (+ replay through Oct 14) or 8.9 Euros for a single day but cannot personally vouch for the accuracy of this myself as I haven't tried to sign up.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Further information about the stream, how/where to watch and the costs: https://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/info/live-stream/

It seems you have to sign up to get the exact pricing for this event, as the costs posted are a range rather than an exact price. I read elsewhere that it's 24.9 Euros for all 4 days (+ replay through Oct 14) or 8.9 Euros for a single day but cannot personally vouch for the accuracy of this myself as I haven't tried to sign up.
I sprang for the legal stream last year and—because the internet never forgets!—I was emailed an invitation to purchase again this year. it says:

Watch all days of Finlandia Trophy with an Event Pass, including all replays until October 14th or by the full Skating Finland Season Pass and get access to all thier events during the 2022-23 season.

Event Pass: 24.9€

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I am not paying - or not to going to place either - because I have again quite busy weekend and I can watch the highlights later on national TV, but here is some info : (Ruutu+ works in Finland only, if I pay I will take this and I get also more things to watch) Season pass means you can watch also nationals etc. If you cannot see whole screen at once, scroll down a little bit and you find instructions in English. This year it will be archieved according to STLL's site.

There has been some Japanese skaters at Finlandia during past years. Even Yuzuru has, before his was a big star, I don't remember the year. 2019 Shoma won and Sota was second. I remember Rika Hongo been there, Mao Asada has, and many else.

That is the reason they have only daily tickets and all event tickets, I suppose, the withdraws. It is not easy to forecast especially in pairs and ID how many pairs there will be. So they may chance the order they have planned before. Somebody gave them feedback on their FB sites having ladies so late at Sunday that there will no trains home any more and I would have the same situation, if I went there,no possibility to have free from work on Monday. So they may chance the order, if it seems to be big breaks between competitions.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I paid for Finlandia Trophy last season, so I'll go ahead and pay for the event pass again this year. The streams will be available through October 14 with the event pass.

I like that a number of senior B events offer free streams. I'm sure enterprising fans will make some video coverage/ clips of FT available at no cost.

About the predictions for FT, this is a tough go. I went back and forth in every discipline, hedging my bets, checking available stats (which never tell us enough), and switching my selections. Because a number of skaters in every discipline are so close in ability, and some top skaters have not shown good form at prior comps this season, making predictions for this event a difficult crapshoot. The results could turn out any number of ways in every discipline, more-so than usual.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I just checked, local TV shows two hours compilation every day at seasonable time. It is more than I expected. If you want to watch those, don't have a TV, are in Finland or have VPN and choose Finland, it will shown in internet at "YLE Areena" and find "taitoluistelu", usually it stays there for a month. But it is geoblocked, so you must be in Finland or choose Finland by VPN. Usually they show the Finns and medalists, maybe some other good performances if there is enough time.

Country
Russia
Challenger Series Finlandia Trophy
Oct 05 - Oct 09, 2022 Espoo /FIN
In order of Personal Best.
* means unofficial best if no official.

Men
No. Name Nation Score
1 Junhwan CHA KOR 282.38
2 Morisi KVITELASHVILI GEO 272.03
3 Mihhail SELEVKO EST 234.72
4 Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ 234.67
5 Lukas BRITSCHGI SUI 225.55
6 Conrad ORZEL CAN 222.75
7 Arlet LEVANDI EST 222.61
8 Ivan SHMURATKO UKR 221.44
9 Nikolaj MAJOROV SWE 220.78
10 Nikita STAROSTIN GER 214.40
11 Andreas NORDEBACK SWE 212.37
12 Hyungyeom KIM KOR 202.19
13 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN 190.97
14 Makar SUNTSEV FIN 189.03
15 Jaeseok KYEONG KOR 187.97
16 Dinh TRAN USA 186.14
17 Kai JAGODA GER 181.49
18 Kyrylo MARSAK UKR 174.10
19 Pablo GARCIA ESP 166.41
20 Mykhailo RUDKOVSKYI UKR 153.35

WD Vladimir LITVINTSEV AZE 244.70

Women
No. Name Nation Score
1 Haein LEE KOR 213.52
2 Yelim KIM KOR 209.91
3 Anastasiia GUBANOVA GEO 203.91
4 Eva-Lotta KIIBUS EST 202.04
5 Lindsay THORNGREN USA 199.42
6 Olga MIKUTINA AUT 198.77
7 Chaeyeon KIM KOR 195.46
8 Alexia PAGANINI SUI 192.88
9 Josefin TALJEGARD SWE 178.10
10 Lindsay van ZUNDERT NED 175.81
11 Linnea CEDER FIN 166.16
12 Oona OUNASVUORI FIN 162.68
13 Natasha McKAY GBR 162.54
14 Lia PEREIRA CAN 158.86
15 Hannah LOFTON USA 157.31*
16 Kristina SHKULETA-GROMOVA EST 157.08
17 Nella PELKONEN FIN 153.98
18 Ella CHEN ISR 150.07
19 Dora HUS CRO 149.39*
20 Janna JYRKINEN FIN 147.76
21 Jade HOVINE BEL 139.88
22 Maia SORENSEN DEN 137.51
23 Mariia ANDRIICHUK UKR 134.13
24 Tara PRASAD IND 127.93
25 Amanda HSU TPE 111.11*
26 Thita LAMSAM THA 92.16

Pairs
No. Name Nation Score
1 Alisa EFIMOVA / Ruben BLOMMAERT GER 186.17
2 Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKEL GER 184.47
3 Valentina PLAZAS / Maximiliano FERNANDEZ USA 166.25
4 Maria MOKHOVA / Ivan MOKHOV USA 161.29
5 Anastasiia SMIRNOVA / Danylo SIIANYTSIA USA 156.40
6 Brooke McINTOSH / Benjamin MIMAR CAN 156.80
7 Letizia ROSCHER / Luis SCHUSTER GER 150.73
8 Daria DANILOVA / Michel TSIBA NED 148.55
9 Anastasia VAIPAN-LAW / Luke DIGBY GBR 132.56

- Isabella GAMEZ / Aleksandr KOROVIN PHI -

Ice Dance
No. Name Nation Score
1 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SOERENSEN CAN 201.00
2 Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS USA 200.59
3 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA 194.77
4 Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS FIN 185.19
5 Natalie TASCHLEROVA / Filip TASCHLER CZE 183.55
6 Yuka ORIHARA / Juho PIRINEN FIN 176.77
7 Angela LING / Caleb WEIN USA 160.23
8 Paulina RAMANAUSKAITE / Deividas KIZALA LTU 146.38

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I'm not paying for a stream. I hope some of the skates end up elsewhere so I can see them. Good news is I don't have to set alarm for crazy time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well I'm not paying for a stream. I hope some of the skates end up elsewhere so I can see them. Good news is I don't have to set alarm for crazy time.
unfortunately for Finlandia, JGP is running at the same time with a free stream... there will be enough skating for us to watch or sleep through

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I will just watch what is on highlights on national TV. Otherwise I watch JGP as much as I have time. Finnish Figure skating federation does not broadcast anything for free, even nationals are behind paywall and this system has been for some years. If GP was not in Finland, I would have paid for the tickets and gone to the place to watch live. I will go also to Euros for a couple of days, so no more money on FS.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I will just watch what is on highlights on national TV. Otherwise I watch JGP as much as I have time. Finnish Figure skating federation does not broadcast anything for free, even nationals are behind paywall and this system has been for some years. If GP was not in Finland, I would have paid for the tickets and gone to the place to watch live. I will go also to Euros for a couple of days, so no more money on FS.
CBC usually has free streaming for all GPs... will let you know if it is the case for Finland... you can access via VPN