Country
United-States

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships

Apr 13 - Apr 17, 2022

Tondiraba lce Hall
Varraku 14
13917 Tallinn /EST

Time now in Tallinn, Estonia

The 2022 World Junior Figure Skating Championships will take place in April 13-17, 2022, in Tallinn, Estonia, at the Tondiraba lce Hall. "Junior Worlds" is an annual figure skating competition sanctioned by the International Skating Union. ISU Member nations select their entries according to their own criteria. Currently, skaters must be at least 13 years old, but not yet 19, before the previous 1 July, except for men competing in pair skating and ice dancing, where the age maximum is 21.
Update - March 4, 2022: ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022 allotted to Tallinn (EST)
On February 12, 2022 the ISU Council decided that the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships could not be held as planned on March 7-13, 2022 in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Mindful that the 2021 edition of this World Junior Championships also had to be canceled, with the potential result of Junior Skaters not being able to compete at the World Championships level for two consecutive seasons, and with the perspective of an easing pandemic situation during the Spring, the ISU Council evaluated the feasibility of postponing the Event. The Bulgarian Skating Federation was not in a position to host the Championships at a later date consequently other ISU Members were invited to apply.

One application was received from the Estonian Skating Union and the ISU Council decided to allot the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022 to Tallinn, Estonia which will take place on April 13 – 17, 2022.

The ISU regrets that the staging of the Championships is not possible as originally planned and thanks the Bulgarian Skating Federation for their efforts and the Estonian Skating Union for their ongoing support and for their application.

The safety and security of all participants at ISU Events remain a top priority and the ISU Council will continue to closely monitor the situation in Ukraine and any Covid-19 developments and their impact on the ISU activity and will take additional steps if and when required.

Update - Feb 12, 2022: The ISU is continually monitoring the sanitary and entry conditions in countries hosting ISU Events, as well as travel restrictions around the World. The event is currently postponed pending the next online ISU Council meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2022.
The ISU is continually monitoring the sanitary and entry conditions in countries hosting ISU Events, as well as travel restrictions around the World. In regard to the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022 scheduled to be held on March 7-13, 2022, the ISU has been alerted to a potentially high number of Covid-19 infections among participants, and also local organizers, due to the Omricon wave which is expected to peak in Bulgaria during the scheduled period of the Championships. The ISU furthermore noted that the currently valid entry restrictions to Bulgaria could seriously complicate the entry into the country of participants from certain countries and age groups. Finally, the ISU acknowledged the currently valid, rigorous quarantine requirements in the case of positive or close contact cases, which is a particularly sensitive matter for a Junior Event that includes minors.

Unfortunately, considering the above-mentioned complicated epidemic situation, the ISU Council decided that the Event cannot be held as planned on March 7-13, 2022 in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Mindful that the 2021 edition of this Junior World Championships also had to be cancelled, with the potential result of Junior Skaters not being able to compete at the World Championships level for two consecutive seasons, and with the perspective of an easing pandemic situation during the Spring, the ISU Council is currently evaluating the feasibility of postponing the Event until May 2022. Consultation is ongoing with the Bulgarian Skating Federation and the participating ISU Members as to their intentions for participation in case of a postponement until May. A decision is expected by the next online ISU Council meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2022.

The ISU regrets that the staging of the Event is not possible as planned and thanks the Bulgarian Skating Federation for their efforts and cooperation and the participating ISU Members for their understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmcm

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Anyone have any updated info on US citizens, fully vaccinated, and boosted, getting into Bulgaria to watch World Juniors?

viya

Rinkside
Anyone have any updated info on US citizens, fully vaccinated, and boosted, getting into Bulgaria to watch World Juniors?
The situation in Bulgaria is very "free", competitions are open.
So I do not think you will have any problem.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
I am from Sofia and am planning to go (or at least I was, before this nightmare of Olympics spoiled the fs experience for me. But I will probably recover by then.)

Anyway, if anyone is coming and interested in meeting, say hi :) Also, if you need any help or info on getting around, let me know.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pathetic. Japan and China somehow hosted or are hosting the Olympics yet Bulgaria can't hold a competition that will only last a week or so? This virus is always going to be around it's time to stop letting it control everything.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
...here goes my bday present to myself. But I knew it was going to happen seeing that tickets were supposed to be open for purchase on 1st Feb and there was no active link.
It's such a bummer for junior skaters - after 2021 Worlds not bring held, they deserve opportunity this year...Guess senior Worlds are the only option left to sort of go somewhere to *celebrate*, but I counted on Junior Worlds.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It would have been nice if it could have been held in Estonia again. They have an excellent track record: JW in 2020 (right before the pandemic struck Worldwide although its presence was already felt) and both Europeans and 4CC just a few weeks ago. However, I don't think this message is on time for them as they may have been organising other events that weekend. And, of course, organising two events in a row may have been rather costly for them too. But perhaps in April or May?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It would have been nice if it could have been held in Estonia again. They have an excellent track record: JW in 2020 (right before the pandemic struck Worldwide although its presence was already felt) and both Europeans and 4CC just a few weeks ago. However, I don't think this message is on time for them as they may have been organising other events that weekend. And, of course, organising two events in a row may have been rather costly for them too. But perhaps in April or May?
I just hope juniors can get their Worlds organized this year. I am not sure though about holding them later that usually, i.e. April or May - if this may interfere with skaters' training schedule.
And about Tallinn - I am always good to return and revive WJC 2020 plus making new memories, but we will see what kind of decision will it be on 24th Feb (if anything will be decided).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm so sad for the juniors. I know many couldn't compete or train much for two years :( I hope it's not too late for some to register for the remaining comps.

The Sofias not having their Sofia moment is sad.

Good for Malinin skating great to at least get a US senior world spot ( :pray: no more cancelled comps so he can get SP minimums somewhere).

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
I don’t get it, especially quoting Omicron as the reason. Seems like the wave is going down, cases are decreasing, hospitalisations remain stable, there is free capacity. Cases are down from 10K a day to 6K a day. Schools are resuming on site presence and life gradually seems to go back to normal.

I really don’t understand this decision. Hope the event is just postponed, not canceled, or that another federation decides to host it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t get it, especially quoting Omicron as the reason. Seems like the wave is going down, cases are decreasing, hospitalisations remain stable, there is free capacity. Cases are down from 10K a day to 6K a day. Schools are resuming on site presence and life gradually seems to go back to normal.

I really don’t understand this decision. Hope the event is just postponed, not canceled, or that another federation decides to host it.
I don’t understand it either considering I see in the news every day more and more countries dropping all Covid restrictions.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only good I see from this is that Ilia Malinin gets a longer break in between the Challenge Cup and senior worlds. Cause he still needs to get his TES mins for the SP.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Translated from Match TV:

THE JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS HAVE BEEN MOVED FROM BULGARIA. THE TOURNAMENT MAY TAKE PLACE EARLIER THAN MAY.

According to Match TV, the Junior World Figure Skating Championships, previously postponed due to the coronavirus, will not be held in Bulgaria.

The tournament was postponed due to the difficult conditions of entry into the country, as well as due to the increased quarantine for Covid-positive cases. According to the source, several countries have expressed a desire to host the tournament. Russia is not one of them at the moment. The deadline for applications for the competition expires on February 23, the decision on the possible postponement of the competition will be made on the 24th at a meeting of the Council of the International Skating Union (ISU).

Also, the source of Match TV noted that if the transfer to another country can be carried out, the tournament is likely to be held before May. Earlier it was announced that the Junior World Championships would be shifted from March to May, but many coaches and athletes opposed this decision. At the moment, the most likely option is to hold the championship in April.

The Junior World Championships were to be held in Sofia from 7 to 13 March.