2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

Fluture

Record Breaker
but if he made an ice quality problem as the rationale for his popped sal then boo on you Yuzu.
Literally, why?! He was asked about the mistake and he explained how it happened. Quite calmly at that.

This was the hole his toe pick caught in, by the way. For everyone doubting it happend. Yes, ice quality can differ but that's a sizable chunk of ice and he's lucky he wasn't injured.

The guy's a two time Olympic Champion, a legend that goes beyond the sport. He's very critical of himself and never one to look for excuses. If he says there was a problem with the ice, there was. Especially since there's clear photographic evidence. Can't believe anybody seriously doubts his words instead of feeling sorry for the bad luck.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
As for the hole, here are two pictures (not the best quality, sorry for that):
FLEmeB_aAAEx452

Looks like he could fit the tips of 3 of his fingers into the hole pretty far (compare the length of his fingers with the following pic)
FLEk6sEWUAQXplj

To me personally, it does look pretty deep - or at least deep enough to throw off the take-off of a jump.

Edit: Link to a few more pictures showing the hole in the ice.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
He had to lie apparently. Because saying the truth is disrespectful.....
And he obviously knew that Mozalev would be attacked that bad online.

viennaskater

Medalist
It saddens me how something like this can blow up on social media. I personally thought Hanyu did not look focused at the start - he only seemed to go into his 'fierce concentration mode' after the pop.

I think he is either not 100% fit, or has just not competed enough this season. End of.

Nothing to do with the state of the ice or any other competitor.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Cripes people are nuts!!!!! So this poor fellow has pitchforks after him because someone ELSE fell on a jump? Madness!!!!!

**Huggles** Between this and Vincent I gather you're having a rough Olympics. Everytime I remember Vincent's face during his speech I want to cry. And that SP that we had hoped would make it to Beijing. Sorry. I'll stop now😔
There is Shoma, and there is a whole bunch of lesser known who I really love. And I saw Mozalev’s practices, so I knew he had exacerbated problems with 3A. I was relieved he made FS and that on the whole this was slightly better than IdF. My biggest fear is that just like 4F killed his 3F, 4S is killing his 3A, or he simply can’t do his favourite pretty entry into 3A.

Pop is not a limitation for PCS—that call was made a few times before in the past 4 years, like with Brown. Mozalev’s PCSs of 41 are objectively high because he has transitions to the wazoo, his PE/IN/CO are appropriate for the musical choice and personality (like it or not) and his blade/edge control is great. In a way, I wish he jumped 3Lz instead of 4S, to reduce the pressure to deliver that second quad, but he is Russian, so he will continue to jump 4S.

Hope is a renewable resource.

I don’t know how many more times either Zhou or Mozalev could pull themselves together and start again, but given the ISU’s #UpAgain motto, I hope that people would view it in that light.

brigit66

On the Ice
He had to lie apparently. Because saying the truth is disrespectful.....
And he obviously knew that Mozalev would be attacked that bad online.
please, dont make excuses, his ego doesnt let him say that he just MADE A MISTAKE>
there was something wrong with preparing to the jump before he took off. It is visible. Stop blaming whole world.
Yuzu once had bad spin and also blamed the ice- after finishing he removed something from the ice ...I remember,thats his pattern

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
please, dont make excuses, his ego doesnt let him say that he just MADE A MISTAKE>
there was something wrong with preparing to the jump before he took off. It is visible. Stop blaming whole world.
Yuzu once had bad spin and also blamed the ice- after finishing he removed something from the ice ...I remember,thats his pattern
Ok.

kimganos

On the Ice
🙄

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I broke my wrist a couple of days ago while skating ... so I don't consider myself to be an adept skater, haha.
But I still don't get it. Mao was lowballed in PCS her whole career because of her underrotations (while doing the most difficult elements!) and here a skater with a questionable axel and a underrotated combo gets rewarded like no one else. With mediocre jump content.
I would have him behind Keegan.
It's not that I don't like Jason. I just think he's overscored. He'll be great in shows. I would certainly pay to see him. But he should not be in the last group of the free skate at the Olympics in 2022.
But he shouldn't be penalized on the second mark because of his jump content. On another topic, looking at the protocols, I think Yuma was shockingly overscored, both on GOE and PCS. Nathan's advantage over him was almost entirely his higher base value. I really liked Yuma's skate but the presentation was a bit juniorish. Was he really as good as Nathan (and Hanyu and Jason)? He also got very high GOE. Are the judges telling him that, at 18, he is already close to perfect? That said, I agree he should be in second place.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I broke my wrist a couple of days ago while skating ... so I don't consider myself to be an adept skater, haha.
But I still don't get it. Mao was lowballed in PCS her whole career because of her underrotations (while doing the most difficult elements!) and here a skater with a questionable axel and a underrotated combo gets rewarded like no one else. With mediocre jump content.
I would have him behind Keegan.
It's not that I don't like Jason. I just think he's overscored. He'll be great in shows. I would certainly pay to see him. But he should not be in the last group of the free skate at the Olympics in 2022.

We are just going to need to agree to disagree on Jason’s scores. After all, jump content has diddly to do with PCS. And he is an excellent *competitive* skater whose skills are justly rewarded in competition, according to the rules. You feel differently. That’s OK.

more importantly, my heartfelt sympathy on your wrist.:pray: I fractured mine two years ago (not skating) and needed surgery. Living without my dominant hand for six weeks was no fun😣 Please heal and get well soon!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Sadly, it seems that some people in this forum are sometimes too preoccupied with their own preconceived notions about a variety of skating-related topics (including myself). I know that it can be difficult to change one's opinion on something we feel strongly about, but there is no shame in admitting that we are not all-knowing and always right. When we encounter new information or differing views, it is simply human to readjust and try to fit the "new" into the picture we have built in our own heads, which can be very hard (I don't find it enjoyable either).
Please don't let this forum succumb to the same hatred, prejudice and stubbornness as so many other online spaces (including sites, profiles and forums dealing with figure skating).

A forum is supposed to be a place of discussion, and discussions require a certain level of willingness to change our opinions when presented with other arguments and facts - Especially when it comes to discussions around the personality of skaters or other people involved in skating. While it might seem innocent at first, this discussion has gone far beyond whether there was a hole or not, and has started to instead become a discussion about Yuzuru Hanyu's character (Is he a sore loser, unwilling to admit his own mistakes? Did he make up an excuse in order for his fans to attack other skaters instead of him? And so on and so forth.). Which purpose does a discussion like this even have, other than to express our own personal likes or dislikes for a person?

Scoring is somewhat different, as we can thank the ISU for (purposefully or not) leaving certain things vague or neglecting to mention them completely. The scoring of some judges certainly does not alleviate the confusion many of us are feeling at the vague nature of many rules, so having discussions is often needed to gain a better understanding of these rules. As seen by the "serious errors" definition, it is so vague that two people will reach completely differing conclusions (Some are stricter, some are more literal to the definition and some are rather generous to the skaters.) - Even within a professional setting, it is probably difficult to reach a consensus in situations like this, which also explains some of the scoring differences even within a judging panel, so it is no wonder our discussions as fans will also surround such divisive topics.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People keep forgetting he was just a teenage at 18 four years ago it's just that that here in the states we made him out to be the overwhelming favorite when he wasn't. No one knew about the health of Hanyu but he was always going to be the favorite if he was on his game and he was and won his 2nd gold medal.
Right! Nathan had made his impact at the 2017 Four Continents, on the Grand Prix and at the 2017 Grand Prix Final, winning those events, but his only senior Worlds appearance in 2017 was 6th place. The US media hype monster proved to be too overwhelming for his youth and inexperience.

brigit66

On the Ice
But he shouldn't be penalized on the second mark because of his jump content. On another topic, looking at the protocols, I think Yuma was shockingly overscored, both on GOE and PCS. Nathan's advantage over him was almost entirely his higher base value. I really liked Yuma's skate but the presentation was a bit juniorish. Was he really as good as Nathan (and Hanyu and Jason)? He also got very high GOE. Are the judges telling him that, at 18, he is already close to perfect? That said, I agree he should be in second place.

Exactly yuma, was overscored.Very much. He is not that good.
The same with Russians.
And mumbing about jason overscoring because he has no quad, but yuzuru getin 9,50/9,75 with pop so he had one SINGLE JUMP is quite hypocrisy.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
you have always been a hater of him, good for you
It might be more important to Hanyu at this stage to be the first to land a quad Axel, than to struggle up to a bronze medal.

I don't understand why you think this post was hateful?

I'm also wondering if he'll attempt the 4A in the LP. If he tries it, I hope he lands it. For me that would be just as historic as if he had won a 3rd Olympic Gold Medal here.

The LP scoring potential of the top 3 would make it difficult to even medal since he is about 10 points behind 3rd. He is definitely capable of a medal depending on how they actually perform, but it is really out of his control. If he skated after they did, he'd at least have a better idea of what his chances would be. But he's not in the last group, and it wouldn't matter anyway because they are skating in reverse order.

treeloving

Medalist
Yuzu and Jason's program is insane; they deserve all pcs in the world.

I usually prefer Nathan's "simplicity" style dress but why does he choose to dress like gym teacher for olympic? :censored:

Yuma's speed is insane.

BTW olympic seems to bring the worst in poeple. All the toxicity involved make so olympic much less enjoyable than usual competition (where at least the toxic is limited to the actual fandom...).