2022 Olympics Team Event: General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event: General Info

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I personally think China and Canada will battle for that 5th spot. In my books I have Russia, USA, Italy and Japan pretty solid in the top 4. Canada and China can battle for that 5th spot.. OR Canada shocks us and places higher and has Georgia push for a spot to beat China or vise versa.

As for Keegan.. 3 members of Team Canada are in Covid Protocol as of right now. I would take the assumption he is one of them. Keegan doesn NEED to be ready for the team event. Roman could do both programs. I feel like if Keegan was not able to compete at all, Canada would of announced an alternate by this point.
Those 3 are ones in protocol in Beijing.. he's still in North America.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I don't see Italy beating Canada in any category except for possibly the men (especially if Roman does it and not Keegan). Georgia could beat Canada in both the men's and women's. China will beat Canada in pairs and possibly men and women so they are definitely a threat for 4th or 5th place.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't see Italy beating Canada in any category except for possibly the men (especially if Roman does it and not Keegan). Georgia could beat Canada in both the men's and women's. China will beat Canada in pairs and possibly men and women so they are definitely a threat for 4th or 5th place.
Who is the Chinese woman? Is she really much stronger than Madeline? Never heard of her. Never seen her compete. Jin : mystery. I feel his best years are long gone but of course, if he lands a quad lutz, then it's a done deal for him to place high enough to beat Roman. Pairs was always going to be China. Dance was going to be Canada. I see it as pretty even. I think Italy is normally below Canada in all disciplines this time around except for men but even there, it can go either way. Grassl is capable of the best and the worst... just like Roman. Georgia is the same with Moritz. Gubanova seems a bit steadier though but her skating is not as nice as Madeline (IMHO). Their pairs are doing well but quite new to the scene. Their dance team has been MIA all season or most of the season due to injury if I recall correctly. I keep thinking about all this and if teams all do about what they can do, including a mishap each, Canada should be 4th. If a Japanese singles skater messes up big time, that could be very bad news for them but I do not expect them to do so... but you know there is always the dreaded :popcorn:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Those 3 are ones in protocol in Beijing.. he's still in North America.
I am also wondering how people keep saying he has not flown yet but have not backed up the information. But my main point here is to mention that the 3 in protocol in Beijing are not necessarily figure skaters at all... unless I have not read properly, there was no mention of any names nor other details, just the number 3.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
... but you know there is always the dreaded :popcorn:
The dreaded popcorn???!!! lol Seriously, though, what does "in protocol in Beijing" mean specifically? That they have tested positive and waiting for a negative result, or something else? Thanks

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The dreaded popcorn???!!! lol Seriously, though, what does "in protocol in Beijing" mean specifically? That they have tested positive and waiting for a negative result, or something else? Thanks
yup the popped jumps in SP

and yes, the covid protocol is that they have tested positive and are waiting to produce negative tests to join the bubble. As you know, all Canadian athletes had to 1)be vaccinated and 2) test negative prior to board the plane to avoid issues, so these athletes are most likely individuals who have had remains of the virus in their system. As others have mentioned there is a number to be above (35, it was previously set at 40) and once one is above this number, one is no longer declared positive.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am also wondering how people keep saying he has not flown yet but have not backed up the information. But my main point here is to mention that the 3 in protocol in Beijing are not necessarily figure skaters at all... unless I have not read properly, there was no mention of any names nor other details, just the number 3.

He's still in Canada. He hasn't been able to pass the PCR test to board a flight.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Yeah, I don't get why so many people are ranking Italy so highly. They just don't seem to have the math.

Canada, Georgia and China look like they have the best chance to finish 4-thru-6, in almost any order depending on how they skate. Might be able to sneak a medal is US or Japan really faulter (though the more I look at it, the more I like Japan for silver)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you for the link.

(ETA: According to the dateline that is showing on my version), this "breaking" news was just posted 13 minutes ago by the CBC, as I write this post. This was the first official confirmation of Keegan's status of which I am aware.

Prayers that it is resolved and that Keegan is healthy. :pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so this news came out 20 minutes ago... now it's official... :) but people have been talking about this way before then, which I personally don't like but hey... that's okay :) thanks for sharing this now that it's official. what a disaster for Keegan... he just cannot get a break.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been floating around media circles since this mornings COC briefing. I knew it would be reported later in the day

How did you *know* that? Are you in the media and had heard from a reliable source?

We've all seen various musings on the Internet, and make certain conclusions, but that is not knowing. :shrug:

skaket023

Rinkside
That's a shame about Keegan. Canada probably planned to have Keegan skate both Short and Free.

I would have preferred Keegan's Short and Roman's Free. Keegan's done well with his short and I love Roman's Free. Oh, well.

This is a lot of pressure on Roman with his first Olympic outing.

auser

Record Breaker
It's possible that even Keegan doesn't know. I was at a New Years Eve party with a bunch of seemingly healthy people and within a week a whole bunch of us were down with Covid. (And many of us were vaccinated.) Keegan has probably been cautious (and may be asymptomatic) but Omicron is super contagious.
Hope you are feeling better now, ucrgirl. :)