2022 Olympics: Women's Free Skate | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Women's Free Skate

reneerose

Final Flight
I finally watched the ladies' free skate and boy was this super emotional. The cameras didn't back away after Kamila's scores were announced. Such drama! I mean Sasha was emoting like she didn't care there were cameras around. I hope Kamila is okay too. This all could have been avoided. Everyone was under such stress. I did like Kaori's program and the speed and power of her skating. I felt bad for Wakaba's error in her program. Glad it is all over.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny how many very happy silver medalists I have seen during these games.
When Julia Marino had sat at the bottom of the women’s slopestyle in first place for like a half hour and watched Zoi Sadowski-Synott unseat her with an amazing final run of the event the reactions were amazing!!! The soon to be silver and bronze medalists rushed out to jump on Zoi and hug and celebrate with her. I honestly think it’s one of my favorite Olympic moments.

At the same time not all reactions to winning silver can be so sweet. Hockey for example is notoriously full of bitter faces because the medal is awarded right after a tough loss in head to head competition. Even though curling is very similar the silver medalists usually seem very gracious. A very close friend of mine is an Olympic silver medalist and i can personally attest that Silver is definitely the most emo of the Olympic medals 🤣

Last edited:

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Is it just me, or does Belinda really root for Chen? She sounds tighter than her usual mechanic self.
Haha, this brought a smile to my face - I came to love Belinda's mechanic style so much, and I also love the idea of her rooting for someone hard enough to partially lose her cool :love2:

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
okay i just watched top 5 woman in this olympics and i have to say im totally hooked on Kamila, Anna and Alexandra, they are absolutely amaazing and they give figure skating an excitement i havent seen since Asada retired. kaori was soo boring hated the music and her skating was meeh for me no excitement nothing, I could barely watch her performance. One the other hand i keep rewatching Kamilas, trusovas and annas performances again and again. So happy that trusova won the freeskate her performance was extraodinary with all those quads, it was very brave of her to go for it. Kamila and Anna also really impressed me .All three of them are a powerhouse, I think I will start watching womans figure skating again because of them.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
It haven't been easy avoiding all the news and social media not to spoil myself, but finally I watched it :D

Ekaterina Kurakova's performance was such a joy to watch! I love her very much, and that was some skate from her! And I loved that she addressed the viewers in Polish, as she was getting off the ice. An absolutely inspired skate from Ekaterina, well done!

Oof, rough skate for Eva Lotta, still, she's always mesmerizing to watch.

I always love to watch Mana Kawabe skate, she made some mistakes, but – what a joy just to see her glide across the ice with that incredible speed and smoothness!

I’m watching Nichole Schott now, and Ekaterina is still first, so excited for her, and Olly can’t stop cooing at how great she did :love2:
I’d prefer for everybody skating clean and Ekaterina keeping her lead to her awesome marks, well-deserved praise all the same.

Yeeeah, Eliska in the second last group! So glad for her. Oh, Eliska, noooo! It looks like Ekaterina moves one more step upwards.

It was probably one of the first times I really enjoyed Mariah's skating – she seemed confident and relaxed throughout the program, and that was enjoyable to watch.

OMG Gubanova was beyond amazing 🤩 So strange that she was placed behind Mariah, her program seemed so much more artistic and confidently executed, with all the jumps landed securely. I haven’t seen her skate before this season, but I’m turning into a big fan of hers.

Yelim Kim’s performance was mind-blowing! And she looks so sweet and happy!

Loena! She’s grown into a top-tier skate with so much personality, and this was an amazing skate! Such a pity about that salchow :(

Kaori was magnificent. I’m not sure about her FP, it does not make me feel a lot, but the sheer power of her skating, and jumps, and everything – omg, she’s everything.

So sad that the last group’s skating was tainted with the controversy and drama, still – congrats to Kaori on her medal, it's so, SO well-deserved🥰

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I wish everybody had the attitude of Alysa enjoying the Olympics!! Instead of crying that their moment is ruined because of some other competitor. This is what we call a smart and stable person.
I was really happy that Alysa enjoyed her Olympic experience so much :love:. But I think it´s easier to enjoy just to be at the Olympics, when you
don´t really have a chance to medal. It was the same in the men´s competition. The first group of skaters in the FP were so happy just to be there. Nikolaj Majorov was crying, Donovan Carillo was kissing the ice and couldn´t stop smiling. In the later groups skaters weren´t that enthusiastic about their Olympic experience. And I think that is really sad. I love it, when skaters can be really happy with what they have achieved.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG Gubanova was beyond amazing 🤩 So strange that she was placed behind Mariah, her program seemed so much more artistic and confidently executed, with all the jumps landed securely. I haven’t seen her skate before this season, but I’m turning into a big fan of hers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gubanova fandom where the skating is heartfelt and the scores are heartbreaking!! May I recommend a favorite program of hers to watch?? I watched this program grow throughout that season and this was my favorite performance and nearly perfect outside of a very small error.

To me she has a very elegant poise that is accented by an effective use of arms. I noticed during her FS in Beijing that when she landed her first difficult jump pass (3z-3t) she had a very calm smile on her face even prior to touchdown. I’m not sure if she broke character for a single moment in Beijing into or out of her jumps....well outside of her little fist pump after the last jumping pass that is 🤓

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
When Julia Marino had sat at the bottom of the women’s slopestyle in first place for like a half hour and watched Zoi Sadowski-Synott unseat her with an amazing final run of the event the reactions were amazing!!! I honestly think it’s one of my favorite Olympic moments.

At the same time not all reactions to winning silver can be so sweet. Hockey for example is notoriously full of bitter faces because the medal is awarded right after a tough loss in head to head competition. Even though curling is very similar the silver medalists usually seem very gracious. A very close friend of mine is an Olympic silver medalist and i can personally attest that Silver is definitely the most emo of the Olympic medals 🤣
One of my favorite Olympic moments will always be when Canada’s Liz Manley won the ladies’ silver in 1988.

In the much-hyped “Battle of the Carmens,” nobody was paying much attention to her…and she slipped in and lit up the whole arena with a wonderful, joyous FS. When she finished, she had this look on her face like “OMG, what just happened and did I really DO that?!?”
Simply marvelous! :points:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Welcome to the wonderful world of Gubanova fandom where the skating is heartfelt and the scores are heartbreaking!! May I recommend a favorite program of hers to watch?? I watched this program grow throughout that season and this was my favorite performance and nearly perfect outside of a very small error.

To me she has a very elegant poise that is accented by an effective use of arms. I noticed during her FS in Beijing that when she landed her first difficult jump pass (3z-3t) she had a very calm smile on her face even prior to touchdown. I’m not sure if she broke character for a single moment in Beijing into or out of her jumps....well outside of her little fist pump after the last jumping pass that is 🤓
watching the link made me sorry I missed her in Beijing. Hopefully the performance will be available online soon. Her skating has a lovely, airy quality…suddenly the word “restful” comes to mind.