2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
One probably does get more bang for ones buck that way. Since Nashville is a short 6 hour drive away from me it is still a better value than SA when transportation is factored in. I doubt a regular football game costs even $755 much less over $1,000. I’m disabled. $1,000 is a VERY big chunk of change. I’m kind of appalled by the whole thing - they don’t even have a website yet. I can’t recall a time when the website for Nationals wasn’t up by May.
I have no idea how much a football game costs but I think they only last 2-3 hours? Nats goes for 6-7 days. But yes, it is quite an investment. With covid still raging, its still anyone's guess if any of these events will go off as planned. I wouldnt expect a website with lots of data anytime soon although at least there is a SA website. For now, all there really is for Nats is Ticketmaster. Evidently, a Patriots game is $500 and a Packers game is $250. And there are people who are willing and able to pay that. https://www.tickpick.com/blog/how-much-are-nfl-tickets/

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea how much a football game costs but I think they only last 2-3 hours? Nats goes for 6-7 days. But yes, it is quite an investment. With covid still raging, its still anyone's guess if any of these events will go off as planned. I wouldnt expect a website with lots of data anytime soon although at least there is a SA website. For now, all there really is for Nats is Ticketmaster. Evidently, a Patriots game is $500 and a Packers game is $250. And there are people who are willing and able to pay that. https://www.tickpick.com/blog/how-much-are-nfl-tickets/
I guess i see Covid with rose colored glasses. In the US, the CDC has released all outdoor activities to be attended by fully vaccinated adults without masks except large gatherings such as festivals and concerts and all indoor activities to be attended with masks by fully vaccinated adults. Gyms, haircuts, thank you God. For example today I watched the Kentucky Derby which last year was held 6 months late and with no spectators. This year they didn’t sell the infield but there were a lot of spectators. Barring a catastrophe such as a wave of a variant I would expect things to be even that much closer to normal by January of next year.
Yes, Nationals lasts for a week. It’s still too much money. The only thing that I’ve ever seen sell out is the ladies long. I guess they want to sell fewer tickets at a higher price. All event tickets to Greensboro were less than $500 (albeit not for the good seats) and that’s just in 2020. It’s not like it was a decade ago.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I guess i see Covid with rose colored glasses. In the US, the CDC has released all outdoor activities to be attended by fully vaccinated adults without masks except large gatherings such as festivals and concerts and all indoor activities to be attended with masks by fully vaccinated adults. Gyms, haircuts, thank you God. For example today I watched the Kentucky Derby which last year was held 6 months late and with no spectators. This year they didn’t sell the infield but there were a lot of spectators. Barring a catastrophe such as a wave of a variant I would expect things to be even that much closer to normal by January of next year.
Yes, Nationals lasts for a week. It’s still too much money. The only thing that I’ve ever seen sell out is the ladies long. I guess they want to sell fewer tickets at a higher price. All event tickets to Greensboro were less than $500 (albeit not for the good seats) and that’s just in 2020. It’s not like it was a decade ago.
I agree nats is expensive. And its not as much fun as it was....IMHO...when there was 24 comps plus and there was no one there for most of them so you could sit and visit with your friends when no one was doing a routine....
I hope you are right about covid. I think you are right about certain indicators...like crowed religious festivals outside...or the Kentucky derby...giving us valuable data. We have a county called Ferry...very rural and very not into following covid protocals. Only 25 percent vaxed. The town of Republic had a big three day party...now one tenth of the population is positive (that are admitting it) and one is dead. Young people are headed to the ER......

I am vaxed and I feel comfortable eating outside at a restaurant. Maskless. But I have COPD. I remember the pandemics of 2009, 2003, 1968, but especially 1957... The kids got the Asian flu by the millions and 10s of thousands died. That was as sick as I have ever been...I was in and out and my brother was delerious...but a hero microbiologist stepped forward and maybe saved a million US lives...and countless lives in the pandemics to come like when my wife got so sick in 1968...

(good article in the WSJ about the pandemic of 1957...back then, we had three times the hospital beds per capita. And we had antibiotics which didnt exist in 1918 for secondary infections. Consider this one quote. "Between September 1957 and March 1958, the proportion of teenagers infected with the virus rose from 5% to 75%" I stand with Dr. Scott Gottlieb. Lets get the kids and everyone else vaxed.

1957 pandemic.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The toy thing will be interesting. If allowed, there will be sweepers and they can pick them up and put them into the bags that take them to the hospitals, after the skaters look through the bag. The risk of transmission to the sweepers, skaters, and kids in hospitals would be very low. If not allowed, there will still have to be spotters for cheaters and a few sweepers for the skaters' safety. And decisions on what to do with whatever is thrown on the ice. Enforcement of rules varies greatly from event to event. At Worlds 2009 LA, there was a cloak room and if you tried to sneak in an illegal camera lens, they gave you a choice. Check it or take it back to your car or motel. Oh the howls!!! :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The toy thing will be interesting. If allowed, there will be sweepers and they can pick them up and put them into the bags that take them to the hospitals, after the skaters look through the bag. The risk of transmission to the sweepers, skaters, and kids in hospitals would be very low. If not allowed, there will still have to be spotters for cheaters and a few sweepers for the skaters' safety. And decisions on what to do with whatever is thrown on the ice. Enforcement of rules varies greatly from event to event. At Worlds 2009 LA, there was a cloak room and if you tried to sneak in an illegal camera lens, they gave you a choice. Check it or take it back to your car or motel. Oh the howls!!! :)
It’s my understanding that Covid really doesn’t spread through touching objects. I could be wrong. If everyone is vaccinated the risk should be minimal if any.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If throwing toys is banned, I would expect there to be announcements and inspections at the door.

If anyone managed to throw toys despite that, I would expect them to be ushered out of the venue and have their ticket cancelled with no refund.
You’re right of course. I need to make inquiries before I purchase a ticket.

macy

Record Breaker
i think i'm going to try to volunteer again. what better time to do it than an olympic year?

is there anyone else here who has volunteered at nats before? trying to remember when you can apply...i think it was around October?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree, as much as I'd like to go to Nationals, I think I'd hold off on going to Nationals next year.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... is there anyone else here who has volunteered at nats before? trying to remember when you can apply...i think it was around October?

FWIW: For 2019 Nats, volunteer shift requests started in Nov. For 2018 Nats and 2020 Nats, shift requests started in Dec.
Disclaimer that I do not remember whether there was an initial step of stating general/overall interest (maybe that is what you mean by "applying"?) that took place at a slightly earlier date than shift requests?
Only my speculation: I think the timeline partly could depend on the LOC?

This is for the ladies or men who want to bring a bag into the arena. The Bridgestone Arena has a bag policy where you must bring a clear plastic bag that measures 12 by 12 by 6.

I am looking at Amazon for some options. Most are under $15, so not a big expense.

Thank you, apgold. It's helpful to see that lotsa options for not too much money are out there.

... I wouldnt expect a website with lots of data anytime soon although at least there is a SA website. For now, all there really is for Nats is Ticketmaster.

Off topic, but what do you mean by a Skate America "website," Chris? :unsure:
Are you talking about something other than the USFS page? 2021skateamerica.com, which redirects to https://www.usfigureskating.org/event/2021-skate-america

(USFS does have a comparable page for 2022 Nats: 2022uschampionships.com/https://www.usfigureskating.org/event/2022-toyota-us-figure-skating-championships, which apgold posted earlier.)

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
FWIW: For 2019 Nats, volunteer shift requests started in Nov. For 2018 Nats and 2020 Nats, shift requests started in Dec.
Disclaimer that I do not remember whether there was an initial step of stating general/overall interest (maybe that is what you mean by "applying"?) that took place at a slightly earlier date than shift requests?
Only my speculation: I think the timeline partly could depend on the LOC?
I searched my email today from when i volunteered at 2019 Nats and the first email i recieved was my request being approved in the beginning of November, i think it was beginning of December when i was approved for my shifts. so i couldn't remember when i actually went in to request shifts, it couldn't have been long before that. Thanks :)