2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Short Program | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Short Program

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Am I the only one who absolutely 'hates' that Esmeralda-nonsense-short program of M/G? Gazillion of silly O-faces, face waving while scampering around. It doesn't help it is the second season they have used it. It doesn't age well ;).
Moskvina, pleaze, give them some better programs!
Not to mention, they don't seem to be keeping up with the tempo of the music. I never noticed them being slow before, but they seemed so here, especially at the end - maybe I was imagining it? The whole program and concept seems immature for them, and for an Olympic season -- meaning, I think they are much better than this material.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
How could anyone forget that? Anywhere you see a GINORMOUS Canadian flag you will see a Keegan.
I think he is my favourite skater. Just pure genuine joy and he doesn't even hav a medal not even top ten. His infectious joy of Canada despite quite honestly I thik th worst ever figur skating results ever - any skating afficionados out there but it is possible Canada has only two top ten skater or team? And that was their bronze medal hope (not including team) and ice dance compatriots. I have to his waving th flag is far more a thing of beauty than that horrific rendition of the Canada national anthem sung by the ladies hockey team. I wasn't sure if this was a Roseanne Barr moment. I kept hearing my music directing yelling Pitch Pitch oh my Pitch!!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My fave two teams are Sui and Han who I think are going to win and T and M who have such a beauiful classical look and the team I want to win but they always screw up in the free. The Japanese ar still a team to watch and both American teams look good but BUT really to m are missing something that makes a top team. This year however there are a lot of very good team but i don't think anyof them are a magical pairs team like B/S, G and G or Artur and his partners. Sui and Han and T and M are close but don't bring that uniqueness, that specialness that je ne sais quoi. I keep saying that to have a special team or skater means it doesn't happen easily or a lot. I hope we will see the Canadian teams rebound; kind of sad to see the devastation of KMT. She really has lost that fight. I see Megan Duhamel there I wish she would talk to her and kick her butt and inspire her to greatness. I am waiting to see some huge tech skills mayb a quad ttwist from the chinese. Sad that the hardest jump is a triple loop individually when last quad we had triple lutz and a throw quad salchow.In my opinion top 4 teams are head and shoulders above the rest. I suppose two teams crash and burn -most likely T and M and B and K then PJ or one of the Americans could win bronze. The Japanese might be too far back - I thought they would be the team to watch They could move up ut w will see. Remember we are in China and so far no skating medal - I think the home nation advantage will push them to gold.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You are not the only one.

Ice Dancers and pairs have been doing Slavic peasant dances forever.

Gosh, is this a dated look, more commonly used in junior competition. It takes me back past Valieva & Vasiliev to Bestemianova & Bukin 1981. Probably further, but I am not old enough to remember. Linichuk & Karponosov had Greek peasant dances earlier.

Certainly one year of this one is enough.
I just finished watching NBC's coverage of the pair's event, and that is one of the first things that struck me: I love Moskvina, even though I think she's the wiliest fox in the henhouse, but someone desperately needs to tell her that the late 80s and 90s are over, wayyyyyyyyyyyy over.

On the other hand, the Elton John era of Russian Pairs is officially OVER. And I for one am not going to shed even a single crocodile tear. Best program/performance in YEARS from Tarasova/Morozov. They deserve the top Russian score.

But Sui/Han were just a little bit better...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh but I was proud of both American teams. And it's been a long time since I've said that at a major competition.

But what the hell has happened to MT-M???
Double fall on a throw - yep, they both fell. Really subpar twist. Missed levels on several other elements. Generally uninspired skating. It was just bad.

Overall, Canadians in all disciplines have underperformed. It's one of the surprises of the Games. I'm trying to think of a bright spot, and all I can come up with is Madeline's Team Event programs. They really need to pull it together before World's or they'll have a very small team next year.

Edit: I did a little number crunching. If the Olympics determined next year's WC quotas (and I know it doesn't) then I think Canada would earn spots for 1 man, 1 woman, 2 dance teams, and 2 pairs (based on SP results only).

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Double fall on a throw - yep, they both fell. Really subpar twist. Missed levels on several other elements. Generally uninspired skating. It was just bad.

Overall, Canadians in all disciplines have underperformed. It's one of the surprises of the Games. I'm trying to think of a bright spot, and all I can come up with is Madeline's Team Event programs. They really need to pull it together before World's or they'll have a very small team next year.

Edit: I did a little number crunching. If the Olympics determined next year's WC quotas (and I know it doesn't) then I think Canada would earn spots for 1 man, 1 woman, 2 dance teams, and 2 pairs (based on SP results only).
Canadians were not supposed to do well these games. It's not a surprise to Canadian fans. Not sure why people expected things to happen like it did in 2018... Madeline was great in the team event. Keegan wasn't bad considering what happened to him. Dance : it could have gone better and it will go better.. bad day at the office. Pairs, this was a terrible day for them, but again, not surprising.. :) and as you pointed out, the field is not that deep in pairs so it doesn't matter... unless you are going for a medal which is the task of the chinese and russians... American pairs are doing better this time around, yet they are not going to medal..
We will see what happens at worlds when it's time for worlds... who knows who is going to show up there anyways???

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up before the free!

Kristen/Michael - What a shame! They had such a good program but had that double fall! Poor guys. Hope they can have a great Free, I'm kinda obsessed with their music.

Ashley/Tim - Olly made sure to use Tim's pronouns! I'm not sure if all the other commentators did, but very respectful Olly. Also what a skate from Ashley and Tim they were in the zone!

Peng/Jin! I'm so here for them! I don't remember this SP at ALL! But OMG they did beautifully! 🥰 I'm so happy! Did you guys know it's Peng's 3rd Olympics? Awww they're so happy!!! 😍 the SBS jumps and spins! The lift! The love heart they made with their arms. Also was that Shen Xue watching them?

Rebecca/Filippo - Can't tell if that's Fillippo's real Mo... Also it goes without saying I love the music. But oh no they're struggling! Love their lift though! And that step sequence to finish 😘 They did a T/M at the end finishing in the corner there :) But oh dear low-tech score! Will they get the Q?! Come on guys...yes! They made it phew!

OMG right into the final group. Come on Zhenya! Come on Vovan! Come on Sasha B and Dima K! Come on Nastya and Sasha G! We believe!

Ha ha! OMG Belinda thought Moskvina wasn't there :laugh2: she's right though! She's hard to see!

Don't remind me of last Olympics.

Nastya and Sasha G - Oh the nerves! They're dealing with it like boss's! This is such a cute program! And Sasha G's Diva slide is of course worth the price of admission 🥰🥰 Only 1 banana too! And over 82!

Sui and Han - I already saw they are in the lead with a World Record score. Let us greet the President of the Small and Mighty Club Cong Han! Hmm! Interesting program construction! They do the twist third! Very nice program. But like should I be concerned? Belinda and Olly are gushing the crowd is going wild, but I still can't get into it? Peng and Jin made me cheer and smile, although I did oooh and aaah at the elements.

OMG, T/M....I don't know what place they're in...my heart is already pounding. OMG please, pleeeeease skating gods I beg of you! I love them both so much.

What did I just say about reminding me of last Olympics.

SBS landed, screams!

Cries at the twist.

Look at that gorgeous lift! They float over the ice!

The throw! The spiral! The spins!!! OMG they're doing it! They're doing it!

I'm THIS close to happy tears!!

Maxim T dyed his hair platinum again.

Sasha T!!! So happy to see her!

I love them...I don't care what people say...

Max T's happy tears, awwww.

And...the SCORE! Did I just drop my phone and scream like an idiot? Yes, yes I did ;)

Sasha B and Dima K - I miss the unitard still... that was good! Love that ending pose it's soooo fierce! Haha Dima jumping on the boards.

Eeeeee! T/M is in 2nd!! Although, last Olympics...gulp..no don't think about it!

This last recap is so choppy! They should just overplay the music with something else. Very whiplash.

In closing... regarding P/J and their SP.

i will just imagine they skated to Ophelia :))
OMG I loved that program! And the one with TARDIS like dress!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Juulia and Mattias were at the local studio during the break 😊