2023-24 British and Irish Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 British and Irish Figure Skating

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Has anyone been able to track down a schedule for our nationals? None of the links from the entry on BIS website are working for me. If I follow the link to Sportity, I cannot view anything without buying the app which is only available for mobile phones and not for viewing information on a computer. I know that the streams can be purchased via BIS TV, but I want the time schedule for the different events and the entry lists.

I'm sure a provisional entry list had been available last month, but cannot find one now.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Has anyone been able to track down a schedule for our nationals? None of the links from the entry on BIS website are working for me. If I follow the link to Sportity, I cannot view anything without buying the app which is only available for mobile phones and not for viewing information on a computer. I know that the streams can be purchased via BIS TV, but I want the time schedule for the different events and the entry lists.

I'm sure a provisional entry list had been available last month, but cannot find one now.

I was looking for the entry lists yesterday, and I came up against the same problem.

I really hate the way that an increasing number of skating events (not just the British ones) are pushing people to use Sportity, and not taking into consideration those of us that do things on computers rather than on mobile phones.

When you search for a desktop version of Sportity, there are a few websites that offer downloads. But, since there is no mention on Sportity's own website of a desktop version, I am wary of downloading from these other websites. You could be downloading anything! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Schedule + entries:

Go Ashlie and Atl! :cheer2:

Thank you so much!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

Have to admit, when I got to the Junior Ladies and I saw the first name, Bryony CORRIGAN (BRD), I read it as "Briana Corrigan".

Well, to be fair, I did have the most famous song that Briana did lead vocals on stuck in my head a few days ago:

The Beautiful South - "A Little Time"

Anyway, on the whole, I am impressed with the number of entries.

A pity that there aren't a few more Pairs partnerships, though. When I read on here that both of Zoe's girls had switched to Pairs, I thought that it would mean that there would be a bumper entry this year. But, at least there is only one level where there are less than 2 entries.

Now the question is - is the BBC showing any of it this year?

And if they are, will they have a commentator that knows what they are talking about...

CaroLiza_fan

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you. That's just what I was looking for! :party2: Why on earth have they made it so difficult to find???
I agree - the British Ice Skating site is full of broken links. It's like they don't want to increase ticket sales....

I'm surprised (but delighted) that Lilah and Lewis are competing - I thought they'd opt to stay in Asia for the Grand Prix Final rather than make two journeys.

It's really encouraging that there are so many men and ice dance teams competing - for many years, there were only two or three senior men, and the same number of ice dance teams. Also great to have more than one senior pairs team. Plus both teams are fab!

Looking forward to it!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I agree - the British Ice Skating site is full of broken links. It's like they don't want to increase ticket sales....

I'm surprised (but delighted) that Lilah and Lewis are competing - I thought they'd opt to stay in Asia for the Grand Prix Final rather than make two journeys.

It's really encouraging that there are so many men and ice dance teams competing - for many years, there were only two or three senior men, and the same number of ice dance teams. Also great to have more than one senior pairs team. Plus both teams are fab!

Looking forward to it!
But no sign of Molly Hairsine/Alessio Surenkov-Gultchev in junior ice dance - what a pity - I wonder why they're not competing - I hope they're OK.

Reactions: DSQ

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you so much!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

Have to admit, when I got to the Junior Ladies and I saw the first name, Bryony CORRIGAN (BRD), I read it as "Briana Corrigan".

Well, to be fair, I did have the most famous song that Briana did lead vocals on stuck in my head a few days ago:

The Beautiful South - "A Little Time"

Anyway, on the whole, I am impressed with the number of entries.

A pity that there aren't a few more Pairs partnerships, though. When I read on here that both of Zoe's girls had switched to Pairs, I thought that it would mean that there would be a bumper entry this year. But, at least there is only one level where there are less than 2 entries.

Now the question is - is the BBC showing any of it this year?

And if they are, will they have a commentator that knows what they are talking about...

CaroLiza_fan
I think I know who you mean, I have given up on the BBC coverage, how hard is it to find someone who has some skating knowledge and interest, I ended muting the female commentator, trouble is I missed the performance :(

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think I know who you mean, I have given up on the BBC coverage, how hard is it to find someone who has some skating knowledge and interest, I ended muting the female commentator, trouble is I missed the performance :(
I am not expecting any of it to be on the BBC. BIS TV has full streams scheduled at £6.99 per session or £9.99 for the whole 'week'. I can't imagine they will sell many of the £6.99 ones! 😂 Unfortunately the BBC commentator was on the BIS stream last year. What I don't understand is how she still has zero understanding after so many years of commentating on the figure skating for the BBC. 🤔

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am not expecting any of it to be on the BBC. BIS TV has full streams scheduled at £6.99 per session or £9.99 for the whole 'week'. I can't imagine they will sell many of the £6.99 ones! 😂

On the one hand, it's a shame that the coverage is behind the paywall, because this is not a very popular sport and you would think the Fed would want as many people as possible watching. But, on the other hand, with little state funding, they badly need all the money they can get.

That said, I can't imagine that BIS TV actually generates that much extra income.

Unfortunately the BBC commentator was on the BIS stream last year. What I don't understand is how she still has zero understanding after so many years of commentating on the figure skating for the BBC. 🤔

Erm, I've been watching figure skating for the guts of 20 years now, and I am still clueless when it comes to the technical stuff. I can just about identify spins, but identifying jumps is beyond me. :slink:

But, I am just somebody who talks with fellow fans on an internet forum. I can get away with it. But a commentator on a TV channel needs to have in-depth knowledge of what they are talking about. They can't just wing it.

Anyway, I thought I should clarify that there are two commentators that the BBC has employed since the brilliant Sue Barker stopped commentating on figure skating. And we haven't been impressed with either of them. Newsreader Kat Downes has covered the World Championships for quite a few years now, while local Sheffield girl Claire Youdale has covered the British Championships for the past few years.

However, I just looked up Claire, and since the last time I looked at her Instagram page (a few years ago!), she has found out that she is autistic.

Whenever anybody criticises Diana Davis unnecessarily (i.e. for things that have more to do with her mother than they have to do with her), I tend to stand up for Diana and say something to the effect of "it is not nice to attack somebody with a disability". So I feel awful now for criticising somebody else with an invisible disability. Especially when it probably plays a part in a lot of the things we were complaining about.

Getting back to the British Championship coverage, I liked it the year that they got a whole pile of skaters in to do commentary. Phil Harris, Matt Parr, Jenna McCorkell, David King (I think partner / wife Stacey Kemp joined him for a while, but I may be mistaken), David Hartley... (sorry if I missed anybody). Phil and Jenna in particular were so good that I would have loved to see them become regular commentators.

Please...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Royston

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
BIS TV do have an offer on for £4.99 that covers every session, if you registered with them in the past.

I found it in my junk email folder from British Ice Skating.

Weetos

Final Flight
I thought the offer was only for members? Will have to check!

Ah I would love to go and watch but it is feeling a bit of a drive in potential wet/icy conditions and there's a train strike... plus the train is a hundred quid...

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't know what the weather's like in Sheffield. I'm further north than that and we had the first snow of the year last night. It was just a sprinkling, but I am expecting proper snow here over the next few days.

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
BIS TV do have an offer on for £4.99 that covers every session, if you registered with them in the past.

I found it in my junk email folder from British Ice Skating.
The wording in the email is a bit confusing. It is £4.99 if you are a member of British Ice Skating. If you have registered with BIS TV in the past but are not a member of BIS then it is £9.99. I had two emails, one to my inbox and one to my junk folder, and have tried all the links in both emails.

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
What puzzles me is Kat Downes partners Robin Cousins in the commentary, does he not think someone better can be found for the job, I remember when Barry Davies used to do some commentating, and he clearly wasn't a skating person but as a professional commenter he seem to have knowledge of the sport and the people involved, even if you don't know much about the technical side you can still research the skaters, their achievements etc, instead of saying daft things.

On another note I wish the championships had been in Nottingham, I would have made the trip, Sheffield is a bit far for me.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I thought the offer was only for members? Will have to check!

Ah I would love to go and watch but it is feeling a bit of a drive in potential wet/icy conditions and there's a train strike... plus the train is a hundred quid...
Someone told me about https://www.flixbus.co.uk/bus-routes recently - they run cheapish services to/from Sheffield, including stopping at Meadowhall, right next to Icesheffield. Hope it might be useful.