2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I would agree with Skate Canada's strategy in this instance to spread our the JGP spots across this seasons "top" 6 female junior skaters to gain the international experience. That being said the result at Junior Worlds being so crucial in determining the number of available spots one has on the JGP circuit the following year, would make me think that SC should send the best age eligible woman(s) to junior world championship.
They do. They sent Kaiya last season, who finished in 2nd at Sr Nationals and hadn't skated a single junior competition all season, but who clearly had the highest scoring potential of the Jrs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They do. They sent Kaiya last season, who finished in 2nd at Sr Nationals and hadn't skated a single junior competition all season, but who clearly had the highest scoring potential of the Jrs.
and clearly, this may happen again with only one spot in seniors...

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It has finally happened.... Fiona gets a real assignment : Finlandia.

Brooke and Ben,
Gabriel and Roman
FBS and Hensen Lickers
I’m only catching up on skating today after being busy the past few days.

This is excellent news!, I’m so happy for Fiona and of course I’m always happy whenever I see Roman’s name.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Uliana was disappointing at her Junior Grand Prix event. After placing in our usual tied for 7th place, I thought Uliana was going to move up to 6th after the free skate portion. But, the popped jump in the second half really cost her and she only placed 9th at Istanbul. She didn’t do as well as Kara and Hetty and those two placed behind her at NextGen.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I called a friend of mine Keegan today. (Her name is Kindall).
How are Nicolas and his partner doing? I can’t wait to see them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Uliana was disappointing at her Junior Grand Prix event. After placing in our usual tied for 7th place, I thought Uliana was going to move up to 6th after the free skate portion. But, the popped jump in the second half really cost her and she only placed 9th at Istanbul. She didn’t do as well as Kara and Hetty and those two placed behind her at NextGen.
To her defense, she popped a combo that is a steady one for her and a very valuable one points-wise... if she had simply gotten up on the lutz, even fell on it -no combo, she would have finished ahead of two more skaters, in 7th place... if she had landed the combo, probably one more spot ahead.

What I noticed however is that she barely ever got any GOE on any of her elements. She will need to convince judges she deserves those points if she wants to improve in the rankings.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To her defense, she popped a combo that is a steady one for her and a very valuable one points-wise... if she had simply gotten up on the lutz, even fell on it -no combo, she would have finished ahead of two more skaters, in 7th place... if she had landed the combo, probably one more spot ahead.

What I noticed however is that she barely ever got any GOE on any of her elements. She will need to convince judges she deserves those points if she wants to improve in the rankings.
The GOE’s are so low. Had she skated cleanly, she would have scored how she scored at NextGen … around 159. I was surprised as I thought she would score higher internationally, than domestically.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The GOE’s are so low. Had she skated cleanly, she would have scored how she scored at NextGen … around 159. I was surprised as I thought she would score higher internationally, than domestically.
She has so little speed going into or coming out of her jumps, and tends to take long setups. GOE is going to be hard to come by without fixing that.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

😭😭😭

I’m really worried about our Canadian Men. Poor Romsky 🥹
Oh Keegan…are you bored with retirement yet?😂😂😂
Seriously I’m sorry Romsky is injured.
Do most of the guys in Canada play hockey?

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
It has finally happened.... Fiona gets a real assignment : Finlandia.

Brooke and Ben,
Gabriel and Roman
FBS and Hensen Lickers
I saw Fiona training with Gab this morning. They have both progressed quite a bit since I last saw them in August. I wonder if they will compete together later this season. They look promising at this stage of their development.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I saw Fiona training with Gab this morning. They have both progressed quite a bit since I last saw them in August. I wonder if they will compete together later this season. They look promising at this stage of their development.
We should see them in action in about 10 days... at SGÉ. I look forward to it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Ted said that's because she lacks speed through the jumps, despite how steady they look. And spins, well, she didn’t really show any amazing spinning ability. I think she can pick it up somewhat like Tuktamysheva. She does look very sure on the jumps, though, so that pop was likely a fluke.

The event was a bit odd, in that it didn't really have super-strong top 2 or 3, but it had a solid 10 or so skaters who all scored respectably.

Nationals are coming to Calgary this year, so yay, I get to see the selection competition for JWC.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ted said that's because she lacks speed through the jumps, despite how steady they look. And spins, well, she didn’t really show any amazing spinning ability. I think she can pick it up somewhat like Tuktamysheva. She does look very sure on the jumps, though, so that pop was likely a fluke.

The event was a bit odd, in that it didn't really have super-strong top 2 or 3, but it had a solid 10 or so skaters who all scored respectably.

Nationals are coming to Calgary this year, so yay, I get to see the selection competition for JWC.
It will be interesting. I think we got two spots for Junior worlds. So most likely they send the junior champion and the top potential scorer. It will be interesting to see Uliana's strategy, whether she competes in juniors or seniors. I would advise her to compete in juniors... but yeah... she has done both domestically so far this summer.

The problem with the lack of speed is that it compromises the "effortless" notion which is one of the most important bullet point to get for higher GOE.