2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hope we can see a livestream of it.
Off topic but I also saw Riku/Riuchi practicing. Wonderful skating skills and great transitions. I probably butchered the spelling of their names.
Always on daily motion by Patinage Québec.

Don't talk to me about RR (that's my way to avoid butchering). I was planning to see them at ACI and they passed from a 2 day schedule of competitions (which meant SP Friday and LP Saturday) to a 3 day event. I will not see pairs at this event (nor women) which was the main attraction for me with RR, PN and DSD. I was so looking forward to seeing Kaori too. I am PISSED OFF :)

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Always on daily motion by Patinage Québec.

Don't talk to me about RR (that's my way to avoid butchering). I was planning to see them at ACI and they passed from a 2 day schedule of competitions (which meant SP Friday and LP Saturday) to a 3 day event. I will not see pairs at this event (nor women) which was the main attraction for me with RR, PN and DSD. I was so looking forward to seeing Kaori too. I am PISSED OFF :)
I hear ya…. But I will happily see any pairs who compete, esp our Canadian teams, if the competition is close enough to me. No travel costs. Last year, I watched some ACI by livestream then attended on the same day (!) the actual event. And talked to Katelyn, Kurt; live events are amazing but I am thankful for the access that livestreams provide.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hear ya…. But I will happily see any pairs who compete, esp our Canadian teams, if the competition is close enough to me. No travel costs. Last year, I watched some ACI by livestream then attended on the same day (!) the actual event. And talked to Katelyn, Kurt; live events are amazing but I am thankful for the access that livestreams provide.
at this point, i could only do saturday. if they had planned things properly, i would have managed to see more... but it was too late for me after I had organized and confirmed all of my appointments of the week.... i couldn't switch things on so many people last minute or I would look completely unprofessional.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Here's a really interesting article about David Howes, Ava Kemp/Yonathan Elizarov and Breken Brezden: https://web.archive.org/web/2023091...press.com/sports/amateur/2023/09/11/600545331

Unfortunately, Yonathan suffered a collapsed Lung just days after the Jr World Championships, and after re-inflating it, he had to get surgery in mid-April to remove the damaged part. Recovery has been an uphill battle, and while he considers himself to be fully healthy again, the late start to full training means they are not at their full technical potential yet, they are planning to peak at Jr Nats and Jr Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here's a really interesting article about David Howes, Ava Kemp/Yonathan Elizarov and Breken Brezden: https://web.archive.org/web/2023091...press.com/sports/amateur/2023/09/11/600545331

Unfortunately, Yonathan suffered a collapsed Lung just days after the Jr World Championships, and after re-inflating it, he had to get surgery in mid-April to remove the damaged part. Recovery has been an uphill battle, and while he considers himself to be fully healthy again, the late start to full training means they are not at their full technical potential yet, they are planning to peak at Jr Nats and Jr Worlds.
really scary.... I am not a physician but it does sound like a terrible thing to suffer from. Anyone knows more?

Re David Howes : he is a gorgeous skater. I am asking the skating gods to provide him with the 3a and a couple quads in a close future.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
really scary.... I am not a physician but it does sound like a terrible thing to suffer from. Anyone knows more?

Re David Howes : he is a gorgeous skater. I am asking the skating gods to provide him with the 3a and a couple quads in a close future.
I am not a physician either but a collapsed lung typically happens to young, tall and slim men. My brother has suffered 3 times - which is unusual as the last time he was in his late fourties which is rather old to get it again. He was the oldest at the time in hospital. The first time he suffered, he continued to painfully work for far too long and only stopped and was taken to hospital when he could hardly breath because of the pain, the second time he immediately realised what it was (the same kind of pain as before) and went to the hospital (or acted to get there) in time and the third time (after 17 years with no issues) he was so surprised that it came back (he had had surgery twice), but recognised the pain again although hardly believing it had come back. I hope Yonathan has another variant. I do recall that my brother could start doing his 'things' after app. 6 weeks. But he was no athlete!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It will be interesting. I think we got two spots for Junior worlds. So most likely they send the junior champion and the top potential scorer. It will be interesting to see Uliana's strategy, whether she competes in juniors or seniors. I would advise her to compete in juniors... but yeah... she has done both domestically so far this summer.

The problem with the lack of speed is that it compromises the "effortless" notion which is one of the most important bullet point to get for higher GOE.
I agree that juniors is what she needs to stick with, because she needs time to be accepted as a Canadian and to sit out the puberty and be in top form when she goes senior. She lost that pre-puberty period when results came because of the lithe body and youthful energy, so now she needs to work for the whole mature skating thing, which is way harder for women because age is against them, not for them like in men.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
First look at Gabbie and Thierry in a full program:

We'll probably get more high-quality recordings by On Ice Perspectives, and the content seems to be watered down a bit to accommodate the Show lighting (like 2F instead of the 3F they've shown in training clips).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

We'll probably get more high-quality recordings by On Ice Perspectives, and the content seems to be watered down a bit to accommodate the Show lighting (like 2F instead of the 3F they've shown in training clips).

Thanks. They will be skating next week at SGÉ, so we will get competition skates from them pretty soon ! They still have some work to do, especially on the twist lift and lift, but that's completely expected. I like their energy together.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I like it, all things considered. Good energy.

I especially like the music. A good upbeat retro feel-good tune will stand out amongst the dreary choices of so many pairs.

Sackie

Medalist
So how many young skaters do we have at the moment who's parents also were skaters in CAN?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I like it, all things considered. Good energy.

I especially like the music. A good upbeat retro feel-good tune will stand out amongst the dreary choices of so many pairs.
Thierry and Lori-Ann used to have fun music together. I hope it's a taste they will both bring to their new partnerships ;) twice more fun

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So how many young skaters do we have at the moment who's parents also were skaters in CAN?
Fée Ann Landry is an interesting case. Her dad, Eric Landry is a hockey professional. He even played in Russia where she started to train if I read properly. Her mom, Natacha, was also a skater but I couldn't find her last name..
You have Volkova, Bombardier, Proft.
McIntosh's mom is of course, an Olympic swimmer (Jill Horstead).
I will stop here but I am sure there are tons. It's common for parents to initiate their kids in things that they were passionate about growing up.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Fée Ann Landry is an interesting case. Her dad, Eric Landry is a hockey professional. He even played in Russia where she started to train if I read properly. Her mom, Natacha, was also a skater but I couldn't find her last name..
You have Volkova, Bombardier, Proft.
McIntosh's mom is of course, an Olympic swimmer (Jill Horstead).
I will stop here but I am sure there are tons. It's common for parents to initiate their kids in things that they were passionate about growing up.
Bruno Delmaestro's daughter was in ice dance for awhile, although I can't remember her first name now. Bruno was a Canadian who skated for Italy. Well-known judge Jean Senft's daughter Lauren was also a dance competitor.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Bruno Delmaestro's daughter was in ice dance for awhile, although I can't remember her first name now. Bruno was a Canadian who skated for Italy. Well-known judge Jean Senft's daughter Lauren was also a dance competitor.
I only looked for current skaters... if we go back in time there famous ones... like Fedor Andreev son of zoueva....

Since you like pairs brasseur's daughter and niece also skated... Gabby marvaldi and Justine brasseur

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I only looked for current skaters... if we go back in time there famous ones... like Fedor Andreev son of zoueva....

Since you like pairs brasseur's daughter and niece also skated... Gabby marvaldi and Justine brasseur
I knew about Isabelle's daughter, but not her niece. I mentioned Bruno's daughter and Lauren Senft because I knew/know their parents so they sprang to mind. Bruno competed in Canada up to Juniors in the late 1970s (4th the year Brian Orser was Jr men's champion) and then switched to Italy because he had dual citizenship through his father and was recruited by their federation. He was Italian men's champion for three years in the early 1980s. He still trained in BC at the North Shore Winter Club and then hopped over to Europe just for their national championships. Probably went to Europeans and Worlds also, although I don't remember that.

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada

I am sorry to hear that. I really like this team.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Would be nice to move that to the Canadian thread? Super interesting read!
As a Certified Computer Klutz :scratch2: :palmf::bang:, you don't want me to try to move it, but if anyone else more technologically adept would like to try, feel free :)! In my hands, GS in its entirety would probably vanish into a Black Hole forever.