2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Rose and Aleksa were awful at their events.

The Asian Canadian skaters seem to be handling international competition better. But, maybe, it is also cause they competed last year.

We still have Lulu and I think Lulu is capable of 160+
okay.. let's not make this about ethnicity please. You already stated the factor that explains why some skaters did better than others : they have more experience.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But Skate Canada is sending skaters out this season to B-competitions in Europe, so why not send a bigger contingent?

The two junior pairs who were named as alternates for the JGP, Behnke/Sauve and Callahan/Roch, are being sent to the 2023 Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d'Azur in mid-October, a competition that includes all disciplines on the senior and junior level. Why not send at least a few more juniors who maybe only got one or no JGP spot at all?

Skate Canada making confusing decisions isn't new, but it's still annoying.
it never ends.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
it never ends.
Like, I am super happy for the baby pairs, particularly for B/S who could really benefit from getting some international experience before the YOG at the start of next season (hopefully), but what about the baby singles or dancers? They deserve it too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Like, I am super happy for the baby pairs, particularly for B/S who could really benefit from getting some international experience before the YOG at the start of next season (hopefully), but what about the baby singles or dancers? They deserve it too.
are B/S the only eligible pairs Canada could send to YOG? Does Canada usually bothers with YOG?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
are B/S the only eligible pairs Canada could send to YOG? Does Canada usually bothers with YOG?
Canada has sent skaters to the last two editions of the YOG (including but not limited to Aleksa Rakic, Roman Sadovsky and Lajoie/Lagha), they didn't send any skaters in 2012 due to overlapping scheduling of Nationals and YOG, but that's not a problem at least for Jr and Sr Nationals this season.

In the past, the age limit for male skaters in pairs and ice dance was 21 (just like for the rest of the Junior competitions), but that's no longer the case, so both partners of the team have to be born between 01.01.2006 and 31.12.2009. Precious few pairs across all countries fall into that age range, and I am quite sure that B/S are the only Canadian (Junior) pairs team, but maybe there is a novice team out there somewhere?

To be frank, Canada isn't even qualified yet for pairs, but I'm not sure the US has two eligible teams, Australia certainly doesn't have two eligible teams, and neither Georgia nor South Korea has any pairs teams in that age range either, so I do think spots will be reallocated.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canada has sent skaters to the last two editions of the YOG (including but not limited to Aleksa Rakic, Roman Sadovsky and Lajoie/Lagha), they didn't send any skaters in 2012 due to overlapping scheduling of Nationals and YOG, but that's not a problem at least for Jr and Sr Nationals this season.

In the past, the age limit for male skaters in pairs and ice dance was 21 (just like for the rest of the Junior competitions), but that's no longer the case, so both partners of the team have to be born between 01.01.2006 and 31.12.2009. Precious few pairs across all countries fall into that age range, and I am quite sure that B/S are the only Canadian (Junior) pairs team, but maybe there is a novice team out there somewhere?

To be frank, Canada isn't even qualified yet for pairs, but I'm not sure the US has two eligible teams, Australia certainly doesn't have two eligible teams, and neither Georgia nor South Korea has any pairs teams in that age range either, so I do think spots will be reallocated.
so Beau is too young... Christophe, too old... wow those age limits are intense at YOG... I would have thought that this team was in the perfect spirit for that kind of competition....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Bombardier Farand competed this weekend (Izzo-Ferland w/d)

They have some stellar elements including a throw triple lutz, a triple twist... a very nice 3 salchow in the SP (not as good in the LP)

2 lifts out of 3 were high level 4... one didn't go up.

the BO death spiral requires work.

i like their presence on the ice. Fiona looks happy to be skating with a partner. Maybe it's a good move for her. Of course, she's lined up to do singles (challenger coming up) this season and unlike Lia, she may not be sent out to big ISU championships right away... so she may keep the singles deal a bit longer. Also, she already trains singles with Marcotte so it's less of a burden logistics wise for her to do both.

BUT : I think she is a shining pairs prospect. I was instantly convinced.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
wow those age limits are intense at YOG...
Yeah, there are tons of singles skaters who fit into those limits, no problems there, and a decent amount of ice dancers too, but basically no pairs at all.
Even in Russia, where there is a large number of pairs, not a single one from last season's Jr Nationals would be the right age.

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Bombardier Farand competed this weekend (Izzo-Ferland w/d)

They have some stellar elements including a throw triple lutz, a triple twist... a very nice 3 salchow in the SP (not as good in the LP)

2 lifts out of 3 were high level 4... one didn't go up.

the BO death spiral requires work.

i like their presence on the ice. Fiona looks happy to be skating with a partner. Maybe it's a good move for her. Of course, she's lined up to do singles (challenger coming up) this season and unlike Lia, she may not be sent out to big ISU championships right away... so she may keep the singles deal a bit longer. Also, she already trains singles with Marcotte so it's less of a burden logistics wise for her to do both.

BUT : I think she is a shining pairs prospect. I was instantly convinced.
I watched both their short and long skates. They seemed more settled in the free. I think she makes a good partner for Gab, with personality, singles skills and quick to learn difficult pair elements. They seem promising.

I don’t see F skating on her own at the rink. I wonder when she does her training for singles🤔.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Brilliant win from Ava and Yoni. Jazmine and Kieran had a terrible skate but with their lead from the SP and still having the second highest BV, they held on to bronze and JGPF.

Here are your 6 finalists for JGPF, including not one, not two but three Canadian teams

1Anastasiia METELKINA / Luka BERULAVAGEO1515301371.822233.96120.51137.8622Q
2Martina ARIANO KENT / Charly LALIBERTE LAURENTCAN1511261311.872208.30104.61103.5724Q
3Violetta SIEROVA / Ivan KHOBTAUKR1313262305.302195.2798.25110.0327Q
4Olivia FLORES / Luke WANGUSA1313262301.742200.20105.00101.5418Q
5Ava KEMP / Yohnatan ELIZAROVCAN915241292.842194.35105.6698.4927Q
6Jazmine DESROCHERS / Kieran THRASHERCAN1111223283.292173.2091.49110.0921Q

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kemp/Elizarov actually ended up with the second-best free skate score among the pairs this season (which, yes, different events and all that), so they might actually be in it for a medal, especially if they can use the months until the final to get a second triple throw.

Good start for Madeline at Nepela Memorial; Marjorie & Zach didn't fare so well, but whatever caused them to withdraw from ACI clearly has them at less than 100%.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Some belated bits of Nebelhorn:

~~~~~~~
And from Nepela Day 1:

timestamped Conrad

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
And Gdansk:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad seems more confident on the ice. Better blade ice contact. His jumps will get more and more stable. I feel it !!! Happy for him !

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Friday night treat :
Found Maddie's glorious SP.

She's ranked 2nd but she and Kim have the same total points. Kim is first because she earned more in TES and it's the SP.

That just shows how brilliant this is

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Friday night treat :
Found Maddie's glorious SP.

She's ranked 2nd but she and Kim have the same total points. Kim is first because she earned more in TES and it's the SP.

That just shows how brilliant this is

Brilliant. Loved it so much!! Wow!! 👏

almiranara

Rinkside
Kemp/Elizarov actually ended up with the second-best free skate score among the pairs this season (which, yes, different events and all that), so they might actually be in it for a medal, especially if they can use the months until the final to get a second triple throw.

Good start for Madeline at Nepela Memorial; Marjorie & Zach didn't fare so well, but whatever caused them to withdraw from ACI clearly has them at less than 100%.
based on Andrew Evans' Instagram account, they have a Throw 3Loop, I hope they can land it cleanly in competitions

yesterday

Record Breaker
Last ones from Gdansk:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Nepela day 2:

Last edited: