yesterday

Record Breaker
Nebelhorn SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nebelhorn SP

two very good performances... hard to go much cleaner (tight landing for the loop for SMD.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah the lift was soooo relaxed (Trennt), but I wish they'd choose spin positions that are more comfortable for him 🤔
I wish they'd chose another program altogether. I can see why this scores less than teams with bigger mistakes.

Sackie

Medalist
I wonder if Skate Canada is starting to get worried about our ladies. They just seem to be always coming up just short of the Tech Min for worlds. If anything happens to Maddie where does that leave us. I thought SMD had a 3/3 combo.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wonder if Skate Canada is starting to get worried about our ladies. They just seem to be always coming up just short of the Tech Min for worlds. If anything happens to Maddie where does that leave us. I thought SMD had a 3/3 combo.
Sara-Maude competed last season with a 3T+2T and 3Lz, so she has upgraded her jump content in the short. I like her short this season, it reminds me of her free last season. That free was my favourite from the Canadian women.

I would hope that Skate Canada would be worried. If they were, they'd be sending out the women more. More competitions and Kaiya, Justine and Sara-Maude should be able to get the TES.

Sackie

Medalist
I agree it seems high especially since that means getting high GOEs and that is harder for some to get then others. And not just due to their skating but also to do with reputations.

Ziotic

Medalist
I agree it seems high especially since that means getting high GOEs and that is harder for some to get then others. And not just due to their skating but also to do with reputations.
If you look. Most men have their BV above the 34 min, however as you mentioned most women are below the 32 and require good GOE to get the minimum

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Martina and Charly did a good job turning the corner on yesterday's rocky short program. They missed the silver medal by a whisker, but they're through to the Final. They will most likely be our only junior representatives this year. Having gotten a good sense of what the current junior pairs field looks like, it's in all probability four teams competing for three podium places (honestly, three teams competing for two, Metelkina & Berulava pretty much have the gold locked down, they look like a senior pair in comparison to the other three).

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
They will most likely be our only junior representatives this year.
I think they'll be joined by at least one other Canadian pairs team. 3 spots of six are already gone, and the Ukrainians are likely to get the fourth spot, but that still leaves two JGPF spots.

Currently, Ehrhard/Pellegris are occupying the top spot, with a fourth- and fifth-place finish, and the three next teams (in addition to Sierova/Khobta) without a second JGP placement yet are Desrochers/Thrasher, Shi/Wang (both with a bronze medal already) and Kemp/Elizarov (with a fourth-place finish), so as long as these teams finish in the top 5 (top 4 for K/E) they'll definitely beat out the French (or one place lower with a higher average score).

In case both Canadian pairs beat Shi/Wang, both Desrochers/Trasher and Kemp/Elizarov will qualify for the JGPF, but at least one of the two is very, very likely to qualify.

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Looking at ISU Communication 2500 (contains information on the TES for championships for 2023), I think this explains why it's high:

If it would become evident that the number of entries based on the Minimum Technical Elements
Scores listed above would be significantly higher or lower than expected, the ISU Council reserves the
right to adjust the Minimum Technical Elements Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned
objective.
So it's high enough to limit the number of women entering Worlds to the satisfaction of the ISU for this season. Qualifying rounds will be in place for 2025 worlds, so hopefully that'll help.

yesterday

Record Breaker
^^
my take on this. I'm not overjoyed by the music choice let's say. But it's kinda new-ish for pairs iirc. The weird thing is, I think it's a step back for them as a pair to me.

Why? Cause I liked what they did with the Pirates otC, it was different and fit Lia especially well.
Here, while watching, my mind went like "Why have Evelyn and Trennt actually never done this? I can see her there..." :scratch2:

As bad as the SP might sound music-wise, it still has that bit of "quirkyness" that the FP doesn't have. Can't have, with that music.

What is interesting is that, in the SP the components were 6.95/7.10/7.25 - so skating skills over everything else (quirkyness not a factor for the judges?), but in the FP they are 7.45/7.45/7.45. Does recycling music really improve program looks? Hmm.

I don't have the domestic numbers at hand, might be intersting to compare those as well and we'll see how this develops internationally.
The contrast between the two programs makes the two an interesting case.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you look. Most men have their BV above the 34 min, however as you mentioned most women are below the 32 and require good GOE to get the minimum
If you think about the axel, the men's and women's minimums don't make any sense.

Most men have a triple axel, so you have 8 (base for the axel) + 26 (for everything else) = 34 required

Most women have a double axel. Even if you expect a bit higher GOE on the axel, make it 4 (base+ for the axel) + 28 (for everything else) = 32 required

So in addition to a "standard" axel, women need MORE points in the rest of their program to qualify. That doesn't make sense.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If you think about the axel, the men's and women's minimums don't make any sense.

Most men have a triple axel, so you have 8 (base for the axel) + 26 (for everything else) = 34 required

Most women have a double axel. Even if you expect a bit higher GOE on the axel, make it 4 (base+ for the axel) + 28 (for everything else) = 32 required

So in addition to a "standard" axel, women need MORE points in the rest of their program to qualify. That doesn't make sense.
Also, GOE is proportional to base value... So a 2a with +1 across the board would give 3.3.+ 0.33 = 3.63 compared to a 3a with +1 across the board... 8+ 0.8 = 8.8, so the higher the base value, the more potential for "bonus goe"

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker

I don't think the working condition is "how many skaters have this or that element", but "how many skaters do we want at worlds".
And I think that's legit.
To me the problem is not that the minimums for women are too hard, it's that the scoring differs from event to event and many scores are simply not justified in one way or another and there is no serious possibility that anyone would use to apply to have your scores looked at again.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think the working condition is "how many skaters have this or that element", but "how many skaters do we want at worlds".
And I think that's legit.
To me the problem is not that the minimums for women are too hard, it's that the scoring differs from event to event and many scores are simply not justified in one way or another and there is no serious possibility that anyone would use to apply to have your scores looked at again.
it comes back to the same old problem for Canadian women : they do not get out as much in "easier" event where they can get the sufficient GOE for the tech minimums. Someone like Kaiya should have her minimums... even when she does skate well, her GOE ranges from 0 to 1... and that means no tech minimums...
Justine can be a quality skater : she got her tech minimums for the SP... but didn't get them for the LP. So she should be sent out. She was a "late" addition to ACI based on her performance at CQÉ... why not send her to a small event in Europe? I think really, European skaters have an advantage here as they can much easier competition hop until they finally get their scores.