2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

Sackie

Medalist
Really like Gabby and how she kept it together to win her bronze world medal and team Olympic Gold. But have to wonder when is enough enough. Does she really have a chance to get back to any big competitions? And with the way Skate Canada isn't sending out our ladies what chances does she have to show herself if and when she gets back close to her old form?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby will be 26 in January. After all the accidents and injuries over the past three years, you have to wonder if she has enough in the tank to even consider a return to competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of course, retirement comes to mind as at some point, the time is counted and she's had a lot of bad luck and health issues. But to me, it's clear that Gabby has ONE passion and it is skating. She won't let bad luck define her and will fight... when she no longer has this fight in her, she will make the decision that's needed. However, I am not surprised that she would keep trying and hoping to get back. We also have no clue what keeping up with skating means to her. It could be one last chance at being at Nationals, or even getting a podium at Nationals and segue into stars on ice. It could be because she wants to go to her third olympics and will stick around for the complete cycle. Some athletes take the one year at a time route but others make 4 year plans. I am pretty sure Gabby will let us know when her time to retire has come.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Corey is indeed listed as participating in Italian nationals. There are five men competing, so he will be, at worse, top 5.
For selfish reasons, I still hope he might have a rethink....and skate for the UK - his personal best is 10 points higher than the current top scoring British man (Ed Appleby - as Graham Newberry appears to have retired).

I know that this is less than likely to happen ....however, as potentially British champion/silver medallist, he'd presumably have more opportunities to skate at internationals than he will do in Italy, plus he could potentially score in the top 10 at Europeans, and get an extra place for a British man.

I like Ed Appleby's skating a lot, but it would be great to have two men competing internationally.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have to agree. Italy has several talented men who have mastered quads and the triple axle. I don't see Corey being competitive against Rizzo, Grassl, Memola and Frangipani when it comes to GPs, Challengers, Euros and Worlds. In the UK, there's only Appleby.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For selfish reasons, I still hope he might have a rethink....and skate for the UK - his personal best is 10 points higher than the current top scoring British man (Ed Appleby - as Graham Newberry appears to have retired).

I know that this is less than likely to happen ....however, as potentially British champion/silver medallist, he'd presumably have more opportunities to skate at internationals than he will do in Italy, plus he could potentially score in the top 10 at Europeans, and get an extra place for a British man.

I like Ed Appleby's skating a lot, but it would be great to have two men competing internationally.
but no funding for UK skaters compared to Italy's police program. Also, who is an elite coach in the UK?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
but no funding for UK skaters compared to Italy's police program. Also, who is an elite coach in the UK?
And from what I hear, the lesson/practice ice situation is still much like it was in Torvill and Dean's day -- usually no separate sessions for high-level skaters to practise, just dodging around on public sessions. (Or so I hear from my own family living in various parts of the UK. If it just happens to be the situation where they live, I'm happy to be corrected.)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Definitely true about the funding.

As for coaches, couldn't Corey stay mostly with Brian Orser? There are some fantastic coaches based in UK, though - Christopher Dean, Mark Hanretty and Yebin Mok.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Definitely true about the funding.

As for coaches, couldn't Corey stay mostly with Brian Orser? There are some fantastic coaches based in UK, though - Christopher Dean, Mark Hanretty and Yebin Mok.
Dance coaches : do they coach single skaters? :) Yebin, didn't know she was coaching there.
Corey would probably not want to be in Canada if his plan is to compete in European Challengers and Series B. He may have two bases... but I am feeling he will be in Italy.

Last edited:

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
usually no separate sessions for high-level skaters to practise, just dodging around on public sessions. (Or so I hear from my own family living in various parts of the UK. If it just happens to be the situation where they live, I'm happy to be corrected.)
Most rinks in the UK have patch ice or practice ice for figure skaters only, most require a coach to go on or to be a set level, some have different patches for different levels.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Dance coaches : do they coach single skaters? :) Yebin, didn't know she was coaching there.
Corey would probably not want to be in Canada if his plan is to compete in European Challengers and Series B. He may have two bases... but I am feeling he will be in Italy.
Yes, Yebin's coaching in the UK, and she coaches singles skaters.

Also, Robin Cousins is based here. I spotted him in the coaches area at the rink at today's Nationals - (I think he's maybe coaching UK skater Freddie Leggott). I'm not entirely sure that he coaches though - he may have been there in his capacity as President of British Ice Skating, (although he's not normally at the boards with the other coaches).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Assorted Challenge thoughts:

- Lulu is easily the most promising junior woman, in terms of having both jump technique and some performance ability.
- Nadiia & Peter narrowly defeat Alicia & Paul, which is probably going to be a repeated battle for placement at nationals.