2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just saw our two Canadian Junior Ladies compete. The competition was much harder this year internationally.

Kaiya has more issues rotating her triple triple combo when it is a 3F. I knew she would struggle with this element. I hope she makes a comeback in the free skate to place in the top 15.

Lulu was so good though… this is where not skating at a lot events affected her. I thought she should have scored 2 points higher. She should have been in the penultimate group. But, because she skated early, she got a lower PCS value due to lack of recognition. She has to slowly earn her way up.

Really, I’m just hoping both our girls skate well enough for a good result. We may not place top ten this year. But, I want them to be close.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just saw our two Canadian Junior Ladies compete. The competition was much harder this year internationally.

Kaiya has more issues rotating her triple triple combo when it is a 3F. I knew she would struggle with this element. I hope she makes a comeback in the free skate to place in the top 15.

Lulu was so good though… this is where not skating at a lot events affected her. I thought she should have scored 2 points higher. She should have been in the penultimate group. But, because she skated early, she got a lower PCS value due to lack of recognition. She has to slowly earn her way up.

Really, I’m just hoping both our girls skate well enough for a good result. We may not place top ten this year. But, I want them to be close.
top 12 would be good enough for keeping the two spots.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am glad I slept instead of trying to watch pairs live...

with the talent sent to worlds, Canadians were for sure expected to take home one medal... maybe two.

Skate Canada needs to get the message here. These young teams needed a warm up event. The good news is that 3 spots were earned for junior worlds next year... the bad news is that this will sting for our young pairs... they are so much better than this...

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am glad I slept instead of trying to watch pairs live...

with the talent sent to worlds, Canadians were for sure expected to take home one medal... maybe two.

Skate Canada needs to get the message here. These young teams needed a warm up event. The good news is that 3 spots were earned for junior worlds next year... the bad news is that this will sting for our young pairs... they are so much better than this...
Coming in as favourites is something they haven't experienced. Now they have that experience at least. They got the spots for next season, and hopefully they will all be used on the JGP this time.

I do like that Aleksa credited all his summer competitions as helping him in the mixed zone. They really have helped his performance this season. I hope Skate Canada sees that and how important having the competition experience is. Even multiple domestic summer competitions helps.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Coming in as favourites is something they haven't experienced. Now they have that experience at least. They got the spots for next season, and hopefully they will all be used on the JGP this time.
I am not surprised really. Just a tad disappointed for them as they are truly better skaters than that.
However, when we recap things our three pairs junior teams did well on the JGP circuit and at the final. Marly didn't do as well at the finals but earned their spot for worlds and end up with a small medal from the SP and the experience of the final flight. They can still keep skating as juniors for a few seasons still and they may bounce back.

I think I am more disappointed for Ava and Yoni because they are so beautiful to watch. There is something about them (perhaps even more about him) that draws me in as soon as they step on the ice. A refinement that is not often seen.

Also, we cannot talk junior pairs without mentioning Annikole !!! Gold at YOG (and bronze in the team event) is awesome.

Regarding spots : yes. we have 3 returning JGP pairs and Annikole and Beau and Christophe should get outings as well.
I do like that Aleksa credited all his summer competitions as helping him in the mixed zone. They really have helped his performance this season. I hope Skate Canada sees that and how important having the competition experience is. Even multiple domestic summer competitions helps.
Skaters need to keep doing the talk. Wesley is the skater who competed the most this year and it shows.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Regarding spots : yes. we have 3 returning JGP pairs and Annikole and Beau and Christophe should get outings as well.
Siyul Back and Gavin Mahoney (Novice Champions) will also have to move up to Juniors and are Jr-eligible internationally (they're 13 and 16), so they'll probably be trying to get JGP spots too.

Luckily, Canada has 12 JGP spots for pairs (3 entries in 4 events), so at least 6 pairs teams should be sent out, imo, maybe even more if you split assignments.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Siyul Back and Gavin Mahoney (Novice Champions) will also have to move up to Juniors and are Jr-eligible internationally (they're 13 and 16), so they'll probably be trying to get JGP spots too.

Luckily, Canada has 12 JGP spots for pairs (3 entries in 4 events), so at least 6 pairs teams should be sent out, imo, maybe even more if you split assignments.
I am very afraid they will send 2 teams at some of these events... :(

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am in love with Anthony Paradis. Never mind the mistakes, this guy can skate! What a grandson to be proud of (that's the age thingy on my side). I already enjoyed watching him at the Canadian Nationals but he is so expressive, so into the performance. Already looking forward to his Free, where he hopefully won't get the deduction for laces

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I am not surprised really. Just a tad disappointed for them as they are truly better skaters than that.
However, when we recap things our three pairs junior teams did well on the JGP circuit and at the final. Marly didn't do as well at the finals but earned their spot for worlds and end up with a small medal from the SP and the experience of the final flight. They can still keep skating as juniors for a few seasons still and they may bounce back.

I think I am more disappointed for Ava and Yoni because they are so beautiful to watch. There is something about them (perhaps even more about him) that draws me in as soon as they step on the ice. A refinement that is not often seen.

Also, we cannot talk junior pairs without mentioning Annikole !!! Gold at YOG (and bronze in the team event) is awesome.

Skaters need to keep doing the talk. Wesley is the skater who competed the most this year and it shows.
Also, Kieran and Jazmine, unless they will have to move up to Seniors?

Sackie

Medalist
And with so many of the CAN pairs so close in what they can do score wise sending 3 teams to events will only promote a healthy rivalry.

Sackie

Medalist
Good for Lulu making the top 10! She really should have been higher, but again the lack of being sent out more hurt her here. Had she had a 2nd JGP event no telling what she could have done. After all she upped her SB by over 25 points. Kind of telling that our Jr Champ came 10th and our Sr Champ came 21st.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Maybe Skate Canada will start looking into and supporting women who can land jumps....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe Skate Canada will start looking into and supporting women who can land jumps....
it is tricky actually because most of these women landed the same content.. but PCS then becomes a huge factor. So landing jumps yes but with good PCS. Someone like Fée Ann could have done better than Kaiya who clearly has issues with rotation at this point. I am not sure Uliana would have fared so well.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
it is tricky actually because most of these women landed the same content.. but PCS then becomes a huge factor. So landing jumps yes but with good PCS. Someone like Fée Ann could have done better than Kaiya who clearly has issues with rotation at this point. I am not sure Uliana would have fared so well.
She would have done better in the Free, that's for sure.

Anyway, rooting for Raikic, since he is the only one left anywhere close to the podiums.