2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Let's hope Aleksa doesn't get too nervous. I think a lot of the earlier guys can climb up. But if he skates relatively clean, he could remain top 10
I really keeping my fingers crossed!

I am also biting nails for that Canadian proposal to make international transfers easier, and I hope it means what I hope it means, that Canada would be interested in welcoming some of the Rus skaters.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching the Junior Girls.
I’m thrilled for Lulu!! That was a shocking result for me.

I can’t believe how well she skated at only her second international event. She was scoring 160 domestically all season long, and then when it mattered the most, 170+, to solidly two spots for Canada next season. She could have scored higher had she started her short program in a higher flight. She must be thrilled!! Go 🇨🇦

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wanted to make a note of this since the talk about JGP spots has me thinking about the possible GP spots for next season. I was looking up the comeback rule for the Grand Prix for Alysa Liu (rules can be found page 3 here for the 2023-24 GP). Bombardier/Mimar will qualify for the split couple rule:

Pairs or Ice Dance Couples, who were previously in the top 7 to 12 (11th in 2023) of an ISU World Figure Skating Championships in the past three seasons (2021, 2022 or 2023) but who split and now have a new partner, may always be chosen as an Organizing ISU Member Skater as per paragraph 2.2. f) and in addition, may be considered as an Organizing ISU Member’s Choice as per paragraph 2.2. g). They will be ranked in the list of Grand Prix Season’s Best scores by taking the season’s points of their partnership with their most recent previous partner, if proof is given in writing by their ISU Member that they intend to continue their competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such Pairs/Dance Couples are defined as a “Returning Split Couple” and such Returning Split Couples do not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum Grand Prix score.
The SB for McIntosh/Mimar that would be used is 166.0, which is currently 22 on the list (right ahead of Proft/Nadeau and below Kemp/Elizarov and Flores/Wang). So they could have more than a SCI host spot.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wanted to make a note of this since the talk about JGP spots has me thinking about the possible GP spots for next season. I was looking up the comeback rule for the Grand Prix for Alysa Liu (rules can be found page 3 here for the 2023-24 GP). Bombardier/Mimar will qualify for the split couple rule:

The SB for McIntosh/Mimar that would be used is 166.0, which is currently 22 on the list (right ahead of Proft/Nadeau and below Kemp/Elizarov and Flores/Wang). So they could have more than a SCI host spot.
Fiona will need to send Brooke some flowers.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Our dance teams did oh so very well...
6 and 8 and 17.

shy one position from the 3 spots... (if only the FD counted, they did finish 6 and 7)
I feel like they were shortchanged a bit in PCS for both the RD and FD...

Chloe and Brendan improved soooo much. They as well as MacDonald are aging out... Korneeva is much younger.. maybe there is a split coming up here.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Looking at the junior men, Aleksa did his job and placed top 10. He did improve his SB, but he's going to be the lowest of the 5 men looking for GP spots next season. Host spots will be interesting. Canada should be able to pick up JGP spots for next season thanks to his placement. Also he took a bad fall last week which interrupted his training, so I hope he gets some rest after all the competing he did.

Anthony confirmed in the mixed zone that he'll be staying junior internationally. Definitely the best choice, I think he'll pick up two JGP spots. He also has the highest score of the men who will be junior eligible next season. Hopefully he'll be able to add the 3A in. I've been impressed watching his journey through sectionals to Challenge to Nationals, he's put the work in to improve his technical side :)

Men who are aging out of junior eligibility for next season:
Stephen Gogolev
Wesley Chiu
Aleksa Rakic
Rio Morita
Alec Guinzbourg
Shohei Law

I'll look at the junior women later, more for who has the dual eligbility.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just watched Junior Worlds Men's Free Skate, and Anthony is a creative gem you must all be proud of while Aleksa did the 3L-3L which may not get all the points but is still in my very personal view the most beautiful combination ever. Two young men to be proud of and, in the Free Skate, very close together!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking at the junior men, Aleksa did his job and placed top 10. He did improve his SB, but he's going to be the lowest of the 5 men looking for GP spots next season. Host spots will be interesting. Canada should be able to pick up JGP spots for next season thanks to his placement. Also he took a bad fall last week which interrupted his training, so I hope he gets some rest after all the competing he did.

Anthony confirmed in the mixed zone that he'll be staying junior internationally. Definitely the best choice, I think he'll pick up two JGP spots. He also has the highest score of the men who will be junior eligible next season. Hopefully he'll be able to add the 3A in. I've been impressed watching his journey through sectionals to Challenge to Nationals, he's put the work in to improve his technical side :)

Men who are aging out of junior eligibility for next season:
Stephen Gogolev
Wesley Chiu
Aleksa Rakic
Rio Morita
Alec Guinzbourg
Shohei Law

I'll look at the junior women later, more for who has the dual eligbility.
I’m thinking Stephen will get two spots outside Skate Canada, like this season. It is like Canada treats him like an American.

Skate Canada spots I predict will be:

1) Chiu
2) Sadovsky
3) Rakic or Orzel (thinking more in favour of Rakic)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m thinking Stephen will get two spots outside Skate Canada, like this season. It is like Canada treats him like an American.
who knows if he will be ready to compete with the kind of injury he seems to be having
Skate Canada spots I predict will be:

1) Chiu
2) Sadovsky
3) Rakic or Orzel (thinking more in favour of Rakic)
a bit too soon for this.... Chiu and Sadovsky could secure spots on their own at worlds... and in this case, Skate Canada would give them the Gogolev treatment or at least one of them, and bring in more of the locals. Rakic has the Champs political advantage for sure. However, if Conrad keeps going (who knows right ?) I think he may be in a different space next year. This year, a lot of pressure was on his shoulders as the top finisher from Nationals still active, and worlds at home and he was selected last year for words... etc... so it was his to lose and he lost it. Who knows what a different perspective may bring him? I am saying this because on the ice, he clearly has improved so much. His basic skating is much smoother. His spins are no longer an issue. He has more presence. All he needs is to feel more at ease, less pressure and more confidence. Without being the front runner anymore, it may change the mindset.

Last edited:

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
who knows if he will be ready to compete with the kind of injury he seems to be having

a bit too soon for this.... Chiu and Sadovsky could secure spots on their own at worlds... and in this case, Skate Canada would give them the Gogolev treatment or at least one of them, and bring in more of the locals. Rakic has the Champs political advantage for sure. However, if Conrad keeps going (who knows right ?) I think he may be in a different space next year. This year, a lot of pressure was on his shoulders as the top finisher from Nationals still active, and worlds at home and he was selected last year for words... etc... so it was his to lose and he lost it. Who knows what a different perspective may bring him? I am saying this because on the ice, he clearly has improved so much. His basic skating is much smoother. His spins are no longer an issue. He has more presence. All he needs is to feel more at ease, less pressure and more confidence. Without being the front runner anymore, it may change the mindset.
In my view, the sensible approach would be to use all of the host spots to give experience to those who have not earned an automatic GP spot and also make sure that those who have met your domestic threshold also get at least one challenger or senior B event. That would mean more skaters getting two or more international events in the autumn, even if some of them are doing an international event at home (I'm talking about the level of event, not the travelling - although the latter can make a big difference). Skate Canada + sensible are words which do not always seem to go together, though.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Probably would be the smartest if he's able to compete. He's got the second highest SB of the men. Skate Canada had a good strategy this season to maximize spots with him by not assigning him a host spot.
a bit too soon for this.... Chiu and Sadovsky could secure spots on their own at worlds... and in this case, Skate Canada would give them the Gogolev treatment or at least one of them, and bring in more of the locals.
Wesley's in a good spot going into Worlds for GP spots. He's 21 on the SB list and 22 in the standings, so if he can maintain that he has a non-host spot guaranteed. Skate Canada will want him at SCI for being the highest ranked man. I hope they realize they could maximize spots by not assigning him there (same with Maddie!)
However, if Conrad keeps going (who knows right ?) I think he may be in a different space next year. This year, a lot of pressure was on his shoulders as the top finisher from Nationals still active, and worlds at home and he was selected last year for words... etc... so it was his to lose and he lost it. Who knows what a different perspective may bring him? I am saying this because on the ice, he clearly has improved so much. His basic skating is much smoother. His spins are no longer an issue. He has more presence. All he needs is to feel more at ease, less pressure and more confidence. Without being the front runner anymore, it may change the mindset.
He's in his final year of university (Kaetlyn mentioned it during the SCI practice commentary), so graduating could help too. Also new programs and taking a good look at that jump layout too. I hope he does continue, I want to see how he does next season.

However the GP spots shake out, I hope that Skate Canada will finally realize that they need to send the men and women out more. They aren't hosting any ISU championships next season, so that should free up some money.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In my view, the sensible approach would be to use all of the host spots to give experience to those who have not earned an automatic GP spot and also make sure that those who have met your domestic threshold also get at least one challenger or senior B event. That would mean more skaters getting two or more international events in the autumn, even if some of them are doing an international event at home (I'm talking about the level of event, not the travelling - although the latter can make a big difference). Skate Canada + sensible are words which do not always seem to go together, though.
That is certainly a viable strategy. Some countries have used it in the past.

A more common strategy is to use one spot per discipline for the biggest "star" your country has in that discipline. This has has a couple of advantages
  • the home-grown star can attract domestic audiences to the event
  • the home-grown star can experience a boost from skating at home - either psychological (a supportive audience) or actual ("forgiving" judging). Results drive popularity for both the skater and the sport.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I looked at the women who were assigned to events on the Event page, not including the upcoming Triglav Trophy assignments (Fee-Ann
:pray:
)

Junior eligible women aging out next season:.
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Fiona Bombardier
Fee-Ann Landry

Women with both Junior and Senior eligibility next season:
Kaiya Ruiter
Justine Miclette
Uliana Shiryaeva
Rose Theroux

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Probably would be the smartest if he's able to compete. He's got the second highest SB of the men. Skate Canada had a good strategy this season to maximize spots with him by not assigning him a host spot.

Wesley's in a good spot going into Worlds for GP spots. He's 21 on the SB list and 22 in the standings, so if he can maintain that he has a non-host spot guaranteed. Skate Canada will want him at SCI for being the highest ranked man. I hope they realize they could maximize spots by not assigning him there (same with Maddie!)

He's in his final year of university (Kaetlyn mentioned it during the SCI practice commentary), so graduating could help too. Also new programs and taking a good look at that jump layout too. I hope he does continue, I want to see how he does next season.

However the GP spots shake out, I hope that Skate Canada will finally realize that they need to send the men and women out more. They aren't hosting any ISU championships next season, so that should free up some money.
I know it has been said before but perhaps less travel from Michael Slipchuk could allow skaters a few more trips. THey had the sunshine list and I was amazed how much he made. Considering the current results a reduction or firing seems in order.

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I know it has been said before but perhaps less travel from Michael Slipchuk could allow skaters a few more trips. THey had the sunshine list and I was amazed how much he made. Considering the current results a reduction or firing seems in order.
I wondered this as well, about going out to each competition. Can’t he watch a livestream instead?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well... whether or not the skaters win medals, Slipchuk's job remains demanding... perhaps even more when things are not going well. I cannot imagine getting a pay cut if my students played so so at a recital... Suggesting a pay cut of the high performance director or that he should no longer attend events is definitely not the way to go imho. Considering the politics within the sport, the skaters need support from their federation anyway. You need someone who is going to be there to make sure things go well. Also, it's not with the dire savings Skate Canada would make that our skaters would finally be getting more opportunities... The needs are much greater than the savings that would be earned by cutting his pay cheque.

I have never been Slipchuk's biggest fan, but I find it very easy to blame him for everything going wrong and when things were going well, well it was thanks to the athletes :) It's unfair.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
The funding issue is larger than Skate Canada, CBC published a story about the Olympic and Paralympic committees calling for additional funding here.

Mike Slipchuk happens to be the most visible person from Skate Canada at events. He makes an easy scapegoat when it could be coming from above him.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Well... whether or not the skaters win medals, Slipchuk's job remains demanding... perhaps even more when things are not going well. I cannot imagine getting a pay cut if my students played so so at a recital... Suggesting a pay cut of the high performance director or that he should no longer attend events is definitely not the way to go imho. Considering the politics within the sport, the skaters need support from their federation anyway. You need someone who is going to be there to make sure things go well. Also, it's not with the dire savings Skate Canada would make that our skaters would finally be getting more opportunities... The needs are much greater than the savings that would be earned by cutting his pay cheque.

I have never been Slipchuk's biggest fan, but I find it very easy to blame him for everything going wrong and when things were going well, well it was thanks to the athletes :) It's unfair.
I once ran into Slipchuck at a competition, and we exchanged a few pleasantries. He seemed surprised to be recognized! Though he seems to be everywhere, at every comp, whenever there are Canadian skaters :)