Alternates for Worlds:

Men
Matthew Newnham
Conrad Orzel
Aleksa Rakic

Ice Dance
Fabbri/Ayer
Lauriault/Le Gac

They're listed in alphabetical order on the ISU entries page. No alternates for pairs. Derenisky/Eberl are the only team left with the minimums, and I can see why they were left off after Nationals.
@saine
What about our Senior Ladies?
You didn’t mention this discipline…
Why don’t we have any alternates to Maddie?
Surely, Uliana/Kaiya/Fee-Ann got the minimum TES scores at their respective challenger events right?
Sigh… oh, that’s right, we don’t have any alternatives cause none of our ladies are sent to international events 😭

It doesn’t surprise me to the PAIRS.
Dance shocks me that they can’t even name another team
Our men, why fill and submit these three alternates given the state of the Canadian men. It is so weird to see a complete list of men. If I was Matthew, I’d be happy to at least be named, even if I knew I wouldn’t be sent out to Worlds.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Apparently Skate Canada is sending Lia Cho to 2024 Trigoslav cup in Slovenia which is taking place April 10th - April 14th 2024
Yay! At least my tiny princess is sent to an international event. 👏 to Skate Canada for getting something right 😒

I now have something to look forward to, after Senior Worlds. I guess she won’t go to her usual Sunsational domestic event in APR. I’m so happy to see her leave Canada to gain valuable experience so she can kill it at Juniors domestically next year 😉

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
@saine
What about our Senior Ladies?
You didn’t mention this discipline…
Why don’t we have any alternates to Maddie?
Surely, Uliana/Kaiya/Fee-Ann got the minimum TES scores at their respective challenger events right?
Sigh… oh, that’s right, we don’t have any alternatives cause none of our ladies are sent to international events 😭

It doesn’t surprise me to the PAIRS.
Dance shocks me that they can’t even name another team
Our men, why fill and submit these three alternates given the state of the Canadian men. It is so weird to see a complete list of men. If I was Matthew, I’d be happy to at least be named, even if I knew I wouldn’t be sent out to Worlds.
I didn't even bother looking at the women for the alternates because I knew there wouldn't be any 😞 I'm hoping for Fee-Ann to go to Triglav now that Lia is going :pray:

For dance, the only thing I can think of is that they told the people who would likely be alternates after Nationals so that they would keep training. Fabbri/Ayer mentioned that they would keep training in their comments to Goldenskate since they were alternates. Probably Bashynska/Beaumont were team #3, but then Peter broke his leg and the other teams aren't training.

azsk8

Spectator
gogolev not named as an alternate for the men… is there any truth to the rumors floating around that he’s getting/got surgery?

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
gogolev not named as an alternate for the men… is there any truth to the rumors floating around that he’s getting/got surgery?
I saw those rumours on Twitter and they're just rumours. I'm not reading too much into them since no one knows anything about the extent of his injury and he's a private guy. I don't think anything will come out until a) Skate Canada (or Stephen himself) makes an announcement b) Grand Prix assignments come out or c) he appears on summer competition entry lists.

It'd be better to not require him to train and possibly further injure himself for the sake of being an alternate.

Sackie

Medalist
Kaiya not doing well at Jr Worlds. At this point it looks like she will be skating in the 1st group for the free. Which means even if she has a good free her score will be low. Have to wonder if being the new CAN Champ has put too much pressure on her too soon. Shades of Netty and Emily who were surprise CAN winners and then zip. Let's hope that Kaiya can over come it better then they did. LuLu did better then Kaiya yet with out the experience her score is low.

Sackie

Medalist
Interesting fact - the Jr ladies that are sitting in the top places at the moment (some of them I see as surprises), when you look at their BIO pages they have at least 3 or 4 event results listed. Lulu however has only 1 listed. Our skaters are really at a disadvantage in regards to experience and visibility.

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was worried only one of the women would make the free, given that there were 46 women competing for 24 spots. They both made it, so I hope they can have good free skates and don't feel the pressure of earning spots too much :)

Also Martina/Charly and Ava/Yohnatan are 0.81 points apart going into the free. I don't think they can overtake Flores/Wang (but you never know). Either of them could podium, so they're both in a good position. Plus small medal for Martina/Charly 🥳

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was worried only one of the women would make the free, given that there were 46 women competing for 24 spots. They both made it, so I hope they can have good free skates and don't feel the pressure of earning spots too much :)

Also Martina/Charly and Ava/Yohnatan are 0.81 points apart going into the free. I don't think they can overtake Flores/Wang (but you never know). Either of them could podium, so they're both in a good position. Plus small medal for Martina/Charly 🥳
Flores Wang had their best ever outing. If they skate like that in the free, of course, it will mean only one chance of medals for Canada. I was hoping both our teams would podium. At the same time, nobody knows : things can change quickly. Both our teams have LPs with high base values... a couple mistakes here and there versus some clean skates could do it... but yeah... it will be hard.

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Flores Wang had their best ever outing. If they skate like that in the free, of course, it will mean only one chance of medals for Canada. I was hoping both our teams would podium. At the same time, nobody knows : things can change quickly. Both our teams have LPs with high base values... a couple mistakes here and there versus some clean skates could do it... but yeah... it will be hard.
Even if neither podium, I think they're in a good position to earn three spots for next year. Along with the JGP spots that will hopefully all be used! Hopefully being in that position isn't too much pressure and they can enjoy their experience.

Reverie

On the Ice
Kaiya not doing well at Jr Worlds. At this point it looks like she will be skating in the 1st group for the free. Which means even if she has a good free her score will be low. Have to wonder if being the new CAN Champ has put too much pressure on her too soon. Shades of Netty and Emily who were surprise CAN winners and then zip. Let's hope that Kaiya can over come it better then they did. LuLu did better then Kaiya yet with out the experience her score is low.

Lay observer opinion.... under-rotations aside, I think choreographically Kaiya's programs are at a ceiling and this is hurting her PCS. Unlike Lindsay Thorngren who competed with her when she was on the Junior Grand Prix circuit , Kaiya's PCS is going down instead of up which does not bode well moving into Seniors. I hope Kaiya's team makes a big change in choreographers for next season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Even if neither podium, I think they're in a good position to earn three spots for next year. Along with the JGP spots that will hopefully all be used! Hopefully being in that position isn't too much pressure and they can enjoy their experience.
with young teams with junior eligibility years left, spots are indeed more important than medals.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Flores/Wang are amazing when they're good, but were very disappointing at the GPF, so are not invincible like the Georgians. I like F/W's Star Wars free.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
with young teams with junior eligibility years left, spots are indeed more important than medals.
You know what's funny - AK/LL have more Jr eligible years left than F/W and K/E, but they're also the only team out of the three to be Senior-eligible already 😁 Age-difference-wise they really hit the sweet spot 😅

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You know what's funny - AK/LL have more Jr eligible years left than F/W and K/E, but they're also the only team out of the three to be Senior-eligible already 😁 Age-difference-wise they really hit the sweet spot 😅
Yup. I realized that when finding out how young Ava was I hope Ava and Yoni manage their transition well. I like them

Status
Not open for further replies.