2023-24 Junior Pairs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Junior Pairs

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Entries for JGP PGE Solidarity Cup 2023:

Last JGP with pairs, and another pretty big field, even if not the absolute biggest ever (I think that must be JGP Gdansk in 2017/18 with 18 entries), but we're definitely getting back to pre-pandemic levels.

Overall, there are currently 48 pairs entries across all four JGPs, consisting of 27 pairs from 15 countries (not counting the teams who are only listed as substitutes).

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Three new junior pairs to add to the list:

Wiktoria PACHA / Szymon DERECHOWSKI: Competing at JGP PGE Solidarity Cup 2023 in September (finally a Polish team, huzzah!). She was previously partnered with Michał Woźniak, who is now skating senior with Julia Szczecinina (Ioulia Chtchetinina). He skated last year with Julia Mrozek. Video of their short programs from last year here.

Reagan Moss / ? Gal: On the list to skate at John Nicks Pairs Challenge in September.

Zarah Wood / Alex Lapsky: She is the daughter of pairs skater Zoe Jones; he last competed in ice dance with Sophia Bushell. They are scheduled to compete at the British Figure Skating Championships Qualifier in October.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Three new junior pairs to add to the list:

Wiktoria PACHA / Szymon DERECHOWSKI: Competing at JGP PGE Solidarity Cup 2023 in September (finally a Polish team, huzzah!). She was previously partnered with Michał Woźniak, who is now skating senior with Julia Szczecinina (Ioulia Chtchetinina). He skated last year with Julia Mrozek. Video of their short programs from last year here.

Reagan Moss / ? Gal: On the list to skate at John Nicks Pairs Challenge in September.

Zarah Wood / Alex Lapsky: She is the daughter of pairs skater Zoe Jones; he last competed in ice dance with Sophia Bushell. They are scheduled to compete at the British Figure Skating Championships Qualifier in October.
Heard that Moss' partner Gal is Czech. Gal has not been given a release by the Czech federation, that's why they can only compete NQS at the John Nicks, and not the international event of John Nicks

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Someone uploaded some of the videos of junior pair skaters at the John Nicks competition and the NQS

NQS Competition

Sydney Cooke / Matthew Kennedy Jr FS (total score = 105.85)

FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuL_lZ-Q-c

They teamed up around Thanksgiving 2022, and Cooke's mom said Matthew didn't have many pairs experience, but he has improved significantly. Matthew is a good singles skater, even competed at the Nationals at the intermediate level, and he's big.

Reagan Moss / Jakub Galbavy Jr (Partial) SP (total score = 103.04)
SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEzoqADJVnc
FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxR_7OXsY7o&t=2s

Waiting for Galbavy to be allowed to compete for the US

JOHN NICKS Competition

Saya Carpenter / Jon Maravilla Jr (total score = 102.36)

FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Obv1QpH6U
SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1rbrlo6Zo

Won intermediate in 2021 and then split up last year and got back again this year. Maravilla skated with an injured thumb (you can see the bandage in the videos) so elements like twist and throw were especially hard. Both are strong single skaters while still learning the harder pair elements

Sofia Enkina / Nikita Kovalenko Jr (total score = 102.14)
FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewa6Btw2M0M
SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Edmpu70mw

Very nice kids. Chatted with Nikita about why he's doing pairs and stopped singles. He said his federation's president came to him and told him he'd skate pairs, and so he's now doing pairs.

Ashley Fletcher / Aaron Felberbaum Jr (total score = 97.76)
SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmYXSo5T8Oc
FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChA-HxJo9zI

Strong pair elements, but weaker in jumps

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Current NQS standing

Pretty underwhelming for the ISP team Fletcher/Felberbaum

There are only 2 NQS competitions for pairs - Broadmoor Fall Classic and Boston Open. I see only 1 junior team competing in Broadmoor (and 5 senior pairs) and 4 junior pairs teams competing in Boston (3 senior teams competing)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As long as they stay together!
yes but that's not an issue for me. I know many of these teams will split. However, the more young skaters taking up the discipline means that even with splits, new pairs can be created out of the former partnerships. It's much harder to do something like Proft, Bombardier, Izzo and Stellato are doing and taking up the discipline much later in life. Even skating just one season as a novice like Pereira may be a good starting point for a later switch to pairs. The discipline needs many more skaters so that, after the normal attrition phase passes, enough competitive teams in enough countries remain. So that's why i am excited to see so many new young teams from all over the place... there could be many more of course.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Teams that have their TES minimums for junior worlds thus far:

Canada (2 spots):
Martina Ariano Kent / Charly Laliberte Laurent (JGP Austria)
Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher (JGP Istanbul)
Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov

China (2 spots):
Wenning Shi / Zhiyu Wang (JGP Austria)
Yixi Yang / Shunyang Deng

France (2 spots):
Louise Ehrhard / Matthis Pellegris
Romane Telemaque / Lucas Coulon (JGP Austria)

Georgia (1 spot):
Anastasiia Metelkina / Luka Berulava (JSP Istanbul)

Germany (2 spots):
Aliyah Ackermann / Tobija Harms
Sonja Loewenherz / Robert Loewenherz

Ukraine (2 spots):
Violetta Sierova / Ivan Khobta

United States (3 spots):
Olivia Flores / Luke Wang
Naomi Williams / Lachlan Lewer

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Teams that have their TES minimums for junior worlds thus far:

Canada (2 spots):
Martina Ariano Kent / Charly Laliberte Laurent (JGP Austria)
Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher (JGP Istanbul)
Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov

China (2 spots):
Wenning Shi / Zhiyu Wang (JGP Austria)
Yixi Yang / Shunyang Deng

France (2 spots):
Louise Ehrhard / Matthis Pellegris
Romane Telemaque / Lucas Coulon (JGP Austria)

Georgia (1 spot):
Anastasiia Metelkina / Luka Berulava (JSP Istanbul)

Germany (2 spots):
Aliyah Ackermann / Tobija Harms
Sonja Loewenherz / Robert Loewenherz

Ukraine (2 spots):
Violetta Sierova / Ivan Khobta

United States (3 spots):
Olivia Flores / Luke Wang
Naomi Williams / Lachlan Lewer
Technically, I think Golubeva / Giotopoulos Moore could still participate in 2024 (although I don't think they will) seeing as Hektor's birthdate is within 2 days of Tobija.
Schmitz / Taylor as well?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yes but that's not an issue for me. I know many of these teams will split. However, the more young skaters taking up the discipline means that even with splits, new pairs can be created out of the former partnerships. It's much harder to do something like Proft, Bombardier, Izzo and Stellato are doing and taking up the discipline much later in life. Even skating just one season as a novice like Pereira may be a good starting point for a later switch to pairs. The discipline needs many more skaters so that, after the normal attrition phase passes, enough competitive teams in enough countries remain. So that's why i am excited to see so many new young teams from all over the place... there could be many more of course.
It is an issue to me. I get emotionally invested.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is an issue to me. I get emotionally invested.
I understand... I think we all have had favourite skaters and they end up retiring, being injured etc. Young pairs is the place where it's even more dangerous for emotional investment. I certainly have learned to be emotionally invested until I need to instantly let go :) That's how I would describe my "fan relationship" with Joseph Phan. Gosh! I adored his skating ! And then, injuries...sad, but moving on. Try it, it's the best of both worlds :)

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Hmmm ... Williams/Lewer (withdrawn 9/13). Wonder what team the US will now send to Gdansk? Also withdrawn from JGP Hungary

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand... I think we all have had favourite skaters and they end up retiring, being injured etc. Young pairs is the place where it's even more dangerous for emotional investment. I certainly have learned to be emotionally invested until I need to instantly let go :) That's how I would describe my "fan relationship" with Joseph Phan. Gosh! I adored his skating ! And then, injuries...sad, but moving on. Try it, it's the best of both worlds :)
I am emotionally invested in an Intermediate dance team.😱😱😱 My only saving grace is that they are a sibling team, so perhaps they will stay together...