2023-24 Russian Grand Prix - Stage 2 - Omsk | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Grand Prix - Stage 2 - Omsk

Skating91

Medalist
It's her decision. She also did it last season. Strategically it makes sense, it's easier to make it to Nats through the earlier stages.
I see I didn't think of it strategically like that. Of course it is the event that trumps all others.

tjz698

Spectator
I wish Sofia Zacharova had picked a less competitive stage, senior ladies is really loaded here, and it looks like she won't make it to final if she competes here. She is one of my favorites. Darn.
If Sofia Zacharova can finish fourth, she has a high chance of reaching the final. Similarly, Anna Frolova can still advance to the final with the advantage of the first race, even in the highly competitive third race. And the girls Ksenia Sinitsyna, Anastasia Zinina, and Maiia Khromykh, due to their withdrawal, have increased competition in the latter half of the Grand Prix, which will put them in a more unfavorable situation.

Azikin

Medalist
I think it's less competitive stage than any of the next ones.
Agreed, these first two stages really look like just a warm-up. There's a chance to medal here, it's not very probable but it's not like Zhilina or Gorbacheva cannot bomb..

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Junior Pairs & Ice Dance entries are added.

Something strange happened to junior pairs. There were three warm-ups planned (judging by the training groups and the schedule).

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Junior Pairs & Ice Dance entries are added.

Something strange happened to junior pairs. There were three warm-ups planned (judging by the training groups and the schedule).
Lots of WDs? These 1st 2 stages have been rather empty when it comes to junior pairs, the later stages are going to be difficult to qualify from if this continues.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
I think it's safe to say that Domozhirova/Vegera have made it to junior Nats.
They are one of my faves so im happy about that.

It's really good stage for Danya and Varya as well, they still are not at 100% but a podium finish here is pretty given. Easier for them to qualify even if they end up with a stacked field at their second stage. Do you know if they will also compete in senior stages?

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Singles are up.

Weak stage in Men's, and N. Sarnovskiy has WD.

Very strong field in Women's, it will be very difficuly to qualify for Morozova, Kadyrova, Tikhonova and Labutina.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
The junior women is stacked :eek:

I wonder in what sort of shape Alisa is in, I wasn't expecting her till the later stages tbh.

katymay

Medalist
The junior women is stacked :eek:

I wonder in what sort of shape Alisa is in, I wasn't expecting her till the later stages tbh.
Labutina -her last outing-seems to be undergoing a growth spurt. Not sure about Alisa, but this is a good year for these young skaters to rest injuries, adjust to puberty related issues, look at the long range as opposed to reaching the top this year. We are a good 3 years out from the Olympics, the ban is still in place -no point to risk permanent injury, (Sofia A) etc. Yes, future funding is at risk, but I'm seeing articles on sports.ru that funding is going to be expanded. There is much less at stake this year.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Looking forward to this group of dancers, especially Anna/Artem's tango, as well as Sasha and Vlad. :hap10:

Last edited:

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Unfortunetly I cant watch today as I have a dentist appointment but will be here tomorrow, Root for Kira and Ilya for me :thank:

Mathematician

الله قوي إلى الأبد وأنا عبده
Record Breaker
If Sofia Zacharova can finish fourth, she has a high chance of reaching the final. Similarly, Anna Frolova can still advance to the final with the advantage of the first race, even in the highly competitive third race. And the girls Ksenia Sinitsyna, Anastasia Zinina, and Maiia Khromykh, due to their withdrawal, have increased competition in the latter half of the Grand Prix, which will put them in a more unfavorable situation.

Are Sinitsina and Zinina out for the whole season or did they just switch stages?

Mathematician

الله قوي إلى الأبد وأنا عبده
Record Breaker
I thought I had read that Petrosian was in this next round now and Sonya out, but had to check it again. Thought maybe I had too much drink when reading it.

In all honesty it makes for a better stage because I think Akatieva is way behind now in preparation (which is good there is no reason to rush back the main start is over two months away). Petrosian/Zhilina/Gorbacheva (assuming Gorbacheva has at least one quad still) makes for a fascinating match up. If Zhilina can get up over Petrosian it will have Team Tutberitze a little nervous. My prediction is that Zhilina is under a new kind of pressure now and will not land the jumps easily. Petrosian after a bad outing and with some experience under her belt will make the adjustments this week. Hopefully Alina puts in a good performance I thought her SP was strong at test skates but with no triple axel she would have to be perfect across two programs (she is stable I don't put it past her).

Poor Zacharova getting two starts like this early in the season. Her opportunity for a medal was last week but unfortunately didn't go to plan, now up against this murderers row of a line up this weekend. No real opportunity to work on anything to improve in a 6 day period. Brutal. Not good for her development. I was impressed by the height she was getting on the lutz and flip last weekend. There is some untapped potential there.

I dont think nerves will affect Zhilina much. Shes been doing massive shows since like 5 y/o, a grand prix stage isnt going to break her. I still think Petrosian will outskate her though.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Labutina -her last outing-seems to be undergoing a growth spurt. Not sure about Alisa, but this is a good year for these young skaters to rest injuries, adjust to puberty related issues, look at the long range as opposed to reaching the top this year. We are a good 3 years out from the Olympics, the ban is still in place -no point to risk permanent injury, (Sofia A) etc. Yes, future funding is at risk, but I'm seeing articles on sports.ru that funding is going to be expanded. There is much less at stake this year.
Yeah good season for them to just rest and recover but I dont know how likely it is that they will.