2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Top 12 get to choose what Grand Prix events they get. He just made it. It might not be top 6. But, I don’t see anybody in Canada other than Keegan and Roman in contention for top 12 standings. I hope they kinda go with Conrad. But, did you see Conrad this year at the GP events? It has to scare skate Canada just thinking of him competing at Worlds.
it's top 6 my friend... and it's pretty much top 3 that has a real choice. (and as a matter of fact, the third one gets what's left after the first two have picked)

I will tell you what I saw with Conrad this year. Upward trajectory. Building up after a coaching change. Reworking basic skating skills... even his stroking got steadier... his air position, his push... everything. Every single time, there was a small improvement. This weekend showed that he is still learning but still steadily getting better. Not a lot of Canadian men this year, as you have pointed out, have landed two quads in the SP.

With Roman, in the last couple years, I have seen ups and downs.. but mostly downs. Very difficult for me to think of him with having any momentum after the recent events. Also, when he falters, it's really low.

If I were on the high performance committee my reasoning would be the following :
Roman needs to find a calmer place in his skating where he can manage to focus and land things. Tonight he did land two beautiful quads and faltered on pretty much everything else that is supposed to be easier. That's mental. That's focus. That' s preparation. And it was the same in the SP. It's not like he had one bad program and that he skated lights out in the second like Stephen did.

So I would be telling him and his team to take some time off and to regroup and to prepare for next year as we would all like to see him compete to the best of his abilities as he is one of the most capable skaters in the field right now.

I would tell Conrad and Ravi that we see progress and development and that it was a tough call but the opportunity is his and he deserves it. And may he makes most of it.

I would tell Wesley and Stephen that a strong team is needed for Home Junior Worlds and they have been assigned there.

I would ask Keegan if he wants 4CC or not with the new baby arriving. If he does, then done deal... if he doesn't, I wouldn't offer it to Roman but to Corey instead.

Skate Canada has to think about the future. A lot of opportunities in the VERY FEW that were had in the last couple years with Covid and worlds and even Nationals canceled meant that all these talented men still have to learn how to compete and it's not by always putting all your eggs in the same Roman basket that the others will develop.

That's my opinion and I know that it may not be in line with some of Roman's fans would always hope to see him skate no matter what...

But here would be my teams

4CC

Keegan if willing (if not, Corey)
Conrad
Stephen (I feel Wesley needs a bit more time to regroup but I would also be fine with top 3 goes to 4CC).

Junior Worlds
Stephen
Wesley
Edward (junior champ)

Worlds
Keegan
Conrad.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
it's top 6 my friend... and it's pretty much top 3 that has a real choice. (and as a matter of fact, the third one gets what's left after the first two have picked)

I will tell you what I saw with Conrad this year. Upward trajectory. Building up after a coaching change. Reworking basic skating skills... even his stroking got steadier... his air position, his push... everything. Every single time, there was a small improvement. This weekend showed that he is still learning but still steadily getting better. Not a lot of Canadian men this year, as you have pointed out, have landed two quads in the SP.

With Roman, in the last couple years, I have seen ups and downs.. but mostly downs. Very difficult for me to think of him with having any momentum after the recent events. Also, when he falters, it's really low.

If I were on the high performance committee my reasoning would be the following :
Roman needs to find a calmer place in his skating where he can manage to focus and land things. Tonight he did land two beautiful quads and faltered on pretty much everything else that is supposed to be easier. That's mental. That's focus. That' s preparation. And it was the same in the SP. It's not like he had one bad program and that he skated lights out in the second like Stephen did.

So I would be telling him and his team to take some time off and to regroup and to prepare for next year as we would all like to see him compete to the best of his abilities as he is one of the most capable skaters in the field right now.

I would tell Conrad and Ravi that we see progress and development and that it was a tough call but the opportunity is his and he deserves it. And may he makes most of it.

I would tell Wesley and Stephen that a strong team is needed for Home Junior Worlds and they have been assigned there.

I would ask Keegan if he wants 4CC or not with the new baby arriving. If he does, then done deal... if he doesn't, I wouldn't offer it to Roman but to Corey instead.

Skate Canada has to think about the future. A lot of opportunities in the VERY FEW that were had in the last couple years with Covid and worlds and even Nationals canceled meant that all these talented men still have to learn how to compete and it's not by always putting all your eggs in the same Roman basket that the others will develop.

That's my opinion and I know that it may not be in line with some of Roman's fans would always hope to see him skate no matter what...

But here would be my teams

4CC

Keegan if willing (if not, Corey)
Conrad
Stephen (I feel Wesley needs a bit more time to regroup but I would also be fine with top 3 goes to 4CC).

Junior Worlds
Stephen
Wesley
Edward (junior champ)

Worlds
Keegan
Conrad.
Maybe Keegan will do 4CCs. It’s about as close to him as anything. I hope they’ve got him on a plane. I want to see if the baby is a boy or girl.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe Keegan will do 4CCs. It’s about as close to him as anything. I hope they’ve got him on a plane. I want to see if the baby is a boy or girl.
Well, I'd be thrilled if he wanted to compete in the USA one last time too... I am just stating the obvious... that maybe he will feel like staying home..

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
<Whole post, but especially this>

As much as I admire Roman's skating, I can't disagree.

I suppose it's annoying to me because when he SHOULD have had his moment with instant naming to all Teams after winning Nationals, Skate Canada dithered in giving him his due.

That burnt me, but that was then and this is now. We shouldn't reward his poor performances now in some attempt to make up for past grievances.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Keegan on his final Canadian title and being a second time dad!

Gogolev had a great comeback skate. I can't believe how tall he is now.

I don't know what to say about Romsky. He's certainly capable of putting it together as Kevin Reynolds said earlier seeing him practice. Perhaps a coaching change or a sports psychologist is in order. He is too talented to be 8th.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As much as I admire Roman's skating, I can't disagree.

I suppose it's annoying to me because when he SHOULD have had his moment with instant naming to all Teams after winning Nationals, Skate Canada dithered in giving him his due.

That burnt me, but that was then and this is now. We shouldn't reward his poor performances now in some attempt to make up for past grievances.
at the same time... not that it fixes anything but worlds were not held that year.. the 3 medalist from National competed in 4CC and Nam placed the highest, with a whopping 50 points ahead of Roman who was quite new to the scene then. Skate Canada still named Roman as first alternate for worlds...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Conrad had more quads planned that he turned into triples... and he has moved to Ravi now :) or did you mean Corey?
There is a glimmer of hope in the Canadian men but it is a glimmer. Wesley had the sophmore blues but I do think he has huge potential= but the same was said of Nam, Reynolds, Sandhu and all failed to get on the world podium. Conrad was great and Ravi'sother skate ws pretty good but honestly the Canadian men are kind of forgettable minus Keegan. Gogo needs to get consistent. I agree with everyone's comments but really Canada doesn't have a solid second choice for worlds. I fear Keegan might lose his focus with yet another baby and in some ways he kind of checked out. He has not improved technically ie quad lutz, he continues to miss levels on spins or step sequence. Roman has a Patrick Chan qualty but at this point really might be finished with greater signs of hope from Wesley, Stephen and Corey and Conrad. I appreciate he got Canada the second men's spot last year at worlds but he is consistently inconsistent and is not like say a Patrick Chan who when they skate badly are still top 8. He might not qualify. It might be harder to improve if with the 8th place finish he loses funding (likewise for Gabby and Zach Daleman - whoone would think their family will suffer with both possibly off the team and funding). If Keegan could skate clean he honestly could sneak in for world bronze but I don't think it will happen. the Focus while adorable about his family seems to be lacking. On a side note I love Nam and I love them together but Nam isn't a teenager his interview skills suck - I hope he isn't getting paid honestly he could have asked some basic question of Keegan like was the upcoming baby on his mind. How did you feel after two falls in the first half? Why choose Home as your final program. Ravi might be the de riguer coach. Canada seems to be in a lull with lack of top skaters or as some poster said the Golden era is gone. Someone needs to step up to the plate and own it. (I wonder if Nam is rethinking retirement - he honestly would have had a shot at second especially since last year he had Covid or just got over it. )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There is a glimmer of hope in the Canadian men but it is a glimmer. Wesley had the sophmore blues but I do think he has huge potential= but the same was said of Nam, Reynolds, Sandhu and all failed to get on the world podium. Conrad was great and Ravi'sother skate ws pretty good but honestly the Canadian men are kind of forgettable minus Keegan. Gogo needs to get consistent. I agree with everyone's comments but really Canada doesn't have a solid second choice for worlds. I fear Keegan might lose his focus with yet another baby and in some ways he kind of checked out. He has not improved technically ie quad lutz, he continues to miss levels on spins or step sequence. Roman has a Patrick Chan qualty but at this point really might be finished with greater signs of hope from Wesley, Stephen and Corey and Conrad. I appreciate he got Canada the second men's spot last year at worlds but he is consistently inconsistent and is not like say a Patrick Chan who when they skate badly are still top 8. He might not qualify. It might be harder to improve if with the 8th place finish he loses funding (likewise for Gabby and Zach Daleman - whoone would think their family will suffer with both possibly off the team and funding). If Keegan could skate clean he honestly could sneak in for world bronze but I don't think it will happen. the Focus while adorable about his family seems to be lacking. On a side note I love Nam and I love them together but Nam isn't a teenager his interview skills suck - I hope he isn't getting paid honestly he could have asked some basic question of Keegan like was the upcoming baby on his mind. How did you feel after two falls in the first half? Why choose Home as your final program. Ravi might be the de riguer coach. Canada seems to be in a lull with lack of top skaters or as some poster said the Golden era is gone. Someone needs to step up to the plate and own it. (I wonder if Nam is rethinking retirement - he honestly would have had a shot at second especially since last year he had Covid or just got over it. )
Did you miss the part where they talk extensively about Keegan not feeling his body could take much more? At this point, forget about technical improvement. He is pacing himself to finish the season. Kevin Reynolds discussed how much time he now takes into the warm up before even attempting a jump, as he just needs to get warmed up longer and longer and longer as he ages. Keegan revealed he would have skated another 10 years if his body could take it.

At some point, a skater needs to realize that it's time, and as fans, we need to follow them that way...

When Patrick,, who was training quad sal and rumours say quad flip before the Olympics and showed a version of Dust in the Wind with two quads in the sp, and then, following difficult training and lack of success with things, decided to not only ditch the quad flip but also the salchow... fans were disappointed... of course... I knew that he was no longer aiming at the individual podium.. and then he disappeared... etc.. it took Ravi to get him back on the ice (and a few others) so he could finish his career with the Olympic Gold.

In some ways, I feel that Patrick was just physically and mentally done by then. I feel that Keegan is perhaps also a bit in that state of mind... so let's carry him to his last event as he has wished to participate to WTT. His performances had mistakes this weekend. I doubt he will skate two clean programs at worlds either but if he does I will cheer super hard... if he doesn't, i will cheer super hard as well.

I Interestingly, some skaters with shorter careers are missed but their retirement is sometimes such a surprise that we move on as fans... Skaters with very long careers like Patrick of Keegan or Kevin etc, it's harder to let them go.. we just sort of assume they will be there forever.

Regarding Nam, I am not so sure he had it in him even last season, covid or not. He stayed on for the games... but when that was fading away, there was no point...

The real big retirement was Joseph Phan. If only his knee injury could have healed. That was a hard one to swallow as he was in my opinion the next big star for Canadian skating, full package, relatively consistent... beautiful jumps and skating skills, with a good understanding of music.

The next big star may be Edward Nicholas Vasii. 16 only. Huge triple axel. Coached by Yvan who has made Nic and Joseph. He could be very good and with Stephen, Wesley and Conrad (and with Roman if he gets to fulfill his potential) Canada will come back. I am not really worried. The Men discipline in Canada has a very deep tradition. I don't think it's necessary for Canada to win a medal in the men discipline every single year :) It makes the ones won even more special.... look at Osmond's gold... how special was that? and look at the women event that many dismissed ... well not anymore... the talent is there. The technical content, though it doesn't feature the exotic jumps, has risen tremendously over the last 18 months... Madeline had to skate for the title.. it was not given to her... as a matter of fact, she didn't win the LP.

So... anything can happen... as long as we remain open to welcome it ;)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Watching the men, very enjoyable first group of which, obviously, Stephen's redemption was the highlight. Good for him, because without jumps he is - sorry fans - rather boring to watch. He reminds me of a male ballet dancer who danced to Spartacus and was a good jumper but not much else. Antoine is the other way round: even without spectacular jumps he is still nice to watch. Marek exudes joy, and that is wonderful to watch as well. Liked Maksim too. Loved the skating of Gabriel. Roman...sigh. Such a beautiful skater, wonderful quads (that quad Salchow-euler-triple Salchow was superb) but then cracking down on less spectacular jumps? Sad for him.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just watched the second group. Stamina, stamina, stamina, always a problem with the FS. Changes coming.
Loved Wesley! It might not be a technically good as Stephen's FS but very enjoyable non the less. Very happy for him too.
Alec, very classical. I liked it, even if there were some issues.
I felt so sorry for Aleksa. Hard hit against the boards. He was so upset. Good that his coach first asked "Are you alright?" after that skate?
I loved Jack. Sure, some issues, but nice to watch.
I liked Bennet too. Sure, not everything succeeded but still nice to watch.
Poor Bruce. Lovely skating but less so on the jumps. Had a lot of problems, but you can't miss his dance background. I still enjoyed the watch!

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Too bad about the pops and other jump issues, but that was still a really enjoyable performance. Conrad fought hard, and I think that he has done enough to stay on the podium. He has improved leaps and bounds, especially in his performance ability, since he started working with Ravi. I really think that he is underrated as a coach.
I agree - even his facial expressions were much improved since moving to Ravi.

And Ravi's done a fabulous job with Matthew Newnham.

Shame he didn't get to coach Patrick Chan for longer.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I really liked the third group. I enjoyed the two Matthews. Of course, the first had some problems with the jumps, but his performance was great. The second dropped a few places, but I liked his skate a lot. It is always fantastic to watch the new and upcoming, loved his fight. Corey was beautiful in his skate as always. I don't really care that his quad attempt didn't work. Beres was lovely! Great to see. Loved to see Conrad's smile in the second half of the programme and his reaction in the kiss and cry. What shall I say about Keegs? Not the best skate ever, but so heartfelt, so joyful. Lovely!