2023 CS Autumn Classic Free Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Autumn Classic Free Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My Dance thoughts.. quickly

I really loved Lopareva-Brissaud's dance. The music was well chosen and meshed together. For those who may not know, these two pieces are part of a set of pieces called Morceaux de fantaisie and they are played one after another, so for a musician who knows these, it's not a huge clash to hear them like this. I thought that they used the music very cleverly and there is a softness and precision about their skating that was unmatched at this event.

Pate and Bye are very nice. They skate with energy and flair. There were a few nice highlights and their costumes are full bling. I did enjoy their performance but unlike L-B's, I cannot say that it's very outstanding and memorable. I think I would have placed them a bit further behind L-B's but not enough behind in any case for them to lose the gold, with their strong lead from the RD. So no beef against the judges at all.

Lim and Quan : as the season progresses ( I saw them at CQÉ) they are skating better. Small twizzle mistake for him. They really got into the characteristic choreo step... I just wonder how they will emerge when all the good teams are there because the transition to senior is tough for most.

Smart and Dieck. I need to give them time. They definitely were the most experienced skaters out there. This is already the second competition I see them skate live at.. there is a vibe that just doesn't work with me. I won't go further, it's just a vibe.

W/T : T has quite striking facial features. I saw him in the hallway. High cheekbones to say the least ;) I felt that they were rougher on their blades compared to other teams. Of course, new partnership but yeah... scratchy sounds were heard much more with these too. They had a lot of flair though so i can see why this partnership seems promising and is celebrated by some fans. Still waiting to see if they can smooth things up.

Sandrine and Quentin : I really adore this very young team. Happy they kept their sixth place because that wasn't a guarantee with some more experienced teams just behind them. They skated like bosses. They are very expressive, very powerful. I love them ! I think they have what it takes for a successful transition into seniors but being a Canadian ice dancer is not that easy.

Talking of the other Canadians on the ice, I think R/P did very well. It was an elegant and smooth dance.

The aussies : this is a work in progress for them. They can do better than that and they will. I am not sure I liked his costume... or I should say, I am not sure I disliked his costume, because I cannot say that I liked it :) The flappy wings and the front pattern = Too Much.

All I will say about the Italians is that they did much better than at CQÉ.

I went there with a few friends who know nothing about skating... and I surprised myself doing the tech caller for them... I was able to identify all the elements one by one ! Of course, not the levels, but yeah :) They were like "who are you? "how do you know these things? It was hilarious... but teaching them was very nice for me. I know a bit more about ice dance that I thought I did... which of course leads to the reality that the more you know, the less you probably do know :) but I will deal with this at another time.

I am home now obviously. The internet was so awful there that I waited to be home to post all of this. I will enjoy a quiet evening without any skating. With the JGP and catching up on ACI, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

PS Bruce Waddell is a very handsome man :) I wish he would come back to dance but I do enjoy him as a single skater. He was there supporting his friends who were skating. (not going to tell you who is friends are )

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Smart and Dieck. I need to give them time. They definitely were the most experienced skaters out there. This is already the second competition I see them skate live at.. there is a vibe that just doesn't work with me. I won't go further, it's just a vibe.
Maybe a minor detail, but I feel their lines don't quite match. Olivia has the classic turned-out pointed extensions. Tim less so; he looks a bit loose sometimes.

It also seems to me like they're still figuring out the balance between when to emote towards the audience vs at each other (need both but have to sync up)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe a minor detail, but I feel their lines don't quite match. Olivia has the classic turned-out pointed extensions. Tim less so; he looks a bit loose sometimes.

It also seems to me like they're still figuring out the balance between when to emote towards the audience vs at each other (need both but have to sync up)
It's not a minor detail. As I said, I am giving them time, but yeah... I don't quite get this partnership yet... and strangely, W/T are brand new too, and I could feel their "team ID"

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And one more anecdote. Overheard on site :

Woman asking a 10-12 year old child : what did you prefer? Men or Dance? The child answered, I preferred dance because there was always something happening... Men were just skating around until they jumped. It was boring and their costumes were also very boring.

So yeah... Ice dance guys ! Take your children to ice dance !

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is a long wait, judges you better be upping the score and not hacking away at it
To be fair, when there's a long wait, it usually means they're trying to give the skaters every benefit of the doubt. that's in the rules.

But of course, sometimes it does mean they're hacking away. That's annoying to me too when it's one of my favorites. But it's only fair that they adjust for the negative when they find problems.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I was a bit sad to see Holly and Jason's scores being so low.

Hopefully they'll get to work on their twizzles and dance spin over the next month before Skate America! :pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Hopefully they'll get to work on their twizzles and dance spin over the next month before Skate America! :pray:
they are just not ready. At CQÉ, they only did the RD and it was clear it was too new for them to perform well. They will get back on track later on in the season. I don't know why they are behind in their preparation but it happens. Marjorie and Zach, FBS, Piper and Paul, Lauriault Le Gac, none of these teams have performed yet (just naming Canadian teams but of course, we could mentioned Chock and Bates, Hawayek Baker etc)... Until GP season is in full swing, there is no need to worry.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I love them and have faith that they'll get there.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
they are just not ready. At CQÉ, they only did the RD and it was clear it was too new for them to perform well. They will get back on track later on in the season. I don't know why they are behind in their preparation but it happens. Marjorie and Zach, FBS, Piper and Paul, Lauriault Le Gac, none of these teams have performed yet (just naming Canadian teams but of course, we could mentioned Chock and Bates, Hawayek Baker etc)... Until GP season is in full swing, there is no need to worry.
I hope so! I was already miffed that they only have 1 GP assignment.

I wouldn't be too worried about Chock/Bates...they started with 202 pts last season then ended up about 30 points higher with a world title :cool: although I would love to know how Hawayek/Baker are doing. I hope they are coming back rested and strong this season!

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
My Dance thoughts.. quickly

I really loved Lopareva-Brissaud's dance. The music was well chosen and meshed together. For those who may not know, these two pieces are part of a set of pieces called Morceaux de fantaisie and they are played one after another, so for a musician who knows these, it's not a huge clash to hear them like this. I thought that they used the music very cleverly and there is a softness and precision about their skating that was unmatched at this event.

Pate and Bye are very nice. They skate with energy and flair. There were a few nice highlights and their costumes are full bling. I did enjoy their performance but unlike L-B's, I cannot say that it's very outstanding and memorable. I think I would have placed them a bit further behind L-B's but not enough behind in any case for them to lose the gold, with their strong lead from the RD. So no beef against the judges at all.

Lim and Quan : as the season progresses ( I saw them at CQÉ) they are skating better. Small twizzle mistake for him. They really got into the characteristic choreo step... I just wonder how they will emerge when all the good teams are there because the transition to senior is tough for most.

W/T : T has quite striking facial features. I saw him in the hallway. High cheekbones to say the least ;) I felt that they were rougher on their blades compared to other teams. Of course, new partnership but yeah... scratchy sounds were heard much more with these too. They had a lot of flair though so i can see why this partnership seems promising and is celebrated by some fans. Still waiting to see if they can smooth things up.

Sandrine and Quentin : I really adore this very young team. Happy they kept their sixth place because that wasn't a guarantee with some more experienced teams just behind them. They skated like bosses. They are very expressive, very powerful. I love them ! I think they have what it takes for a successful transition into seniors but being a Canadian ice dancer is not that easy.

Talking of the other Canadians on the ice, I think R/P did very well. It was an elegant and smooth dance.

The aussies : this is a work in progress for them. They can do better than that and they will. I am not sure I liked his costume... or I should say, I am not sure I disliked his costume, because I cannot say that I liked it :) The flappy wings and the front pattern = Too Much.

All I will say about the Italians is that they did much better than at CQÉ.

I went there with a few friends who know nothing about skating... and I surprised myself doing the tech caller for them... I was able to identify all the elements one by one ! Of course, not the levels, but yeah :) They were like "who are you? "how do you know these things? It was hilarious... but teaching them was very nice for me. I know a bit more about ice dance that I thought I did... which of course leads to the reality that the more you know, the less you probably do know :) but I will deal with this at another time.

I am home now obviously. The internet was so awful there that I waited to be home to post all of this. I will enjoy a quiet evening without any skating. With the JGP and catching up on ACI, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

PS Bruce Waddell is a very handsome man :) I wish he would come back to dance but I do enjoy him as a single skater. He was there supporting his friends who were skating. (not going to tell you who is friends are )
I agree with you about Lopareva/Brissaud. For this competition the silver was right. I thought that perhaps the rhythm dance was choreographed relatively last minute /was less practiced compared to their free?
Pate and Bye had more time to get ready for the earlier parts of the new season. But I think further into the season Lopareva and Brissaud will be getting higher scores than them.

Smart and Dieck... I think they recieved quite a lot of hype when them teaming up was announced which I don't think has necessarily helped them. Wolfkostin and Tsarevski are an even newer team but look better matched to me (at the moment). Though as you said, not as strong or experienced on the skating skills side yet.

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I agree with you about Lopareva/Brissaud. For this competition the silver was right. I thought that perhaps the rhythm dance was choreographed relatively last minute /was less practiced compared to their free?
Pate and Bye had more time to get ready for the earlier parts of the new season. But I think further into the season Lopareva and Brissaud will be getting higher scores than them.

Smart and Dieck... I think they recieved quite a lot of hype when them teaming up was announced which I don't think has necessarily helped them. Wolfkostin and Tsarevski are an even newer team but look better matched to me (at the moment). Though as you said, not as strong or experienced on the skating skills side yet.

Smart/Dieck are both entertaining skaters, but maybe it is easier if one of the duo shines and entertains and the other one doesn't and isn't expected to and stays more in the background. Maybe they will find their way though, I still think it's a cool match, and hope it can work out in some way. But their free program, what is that even? They should really!! change that. It's quite a mess. Maybe they should try something more classical and harmonious first. (Did I really just say that?) The short looked better now than in their first competition I think.

Lopareva/Brissaud's free skate was very well done, but the choreo just doesn't have any real curve of suspense. It all just happens one after the other, dripping like lounge music.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Smart/Dieck are both entertaining skaters, but maybe it is easier if one of the duo shines and entertains and the other one doesn't and isn't expected to and stays more in the background. Maybe they will find their way though, I still think it's a cool match, and hope it can work out in some way. But their free program, what is that even? They should really!! change that. It's quite a mess. Maybe they should try something more classical and harmonious first. (Did I really just say that?) The short looked better now than in their first competition I think.

Lopareva/Brissaud's free skate was very well done, but the choreo just doesn't have any real curve of suspense. It all just happens one after the other, dripping like lounge music.
I really liked Lopareva and Brissaud's free actually. There have been many programs to Rachmaninoff, but I don't think I can recall seeing anyone actually dance to his music successfully before.. and she definitely was at one point.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I really liked Lopareva and Brissaud's free actually. There have been many programs to Rachmaninoff, but I don't think I can recall seeing anyone actually dance to his music successfully before.. and she definitely was at one point.

Okay, in that regard I agree, but I think an ice dance program does not only need to show that you have the ability, but also be a captivating program per se. I admit, ice dance scoring... I actually know nothing about it, but it seems to me that programs that are taking the viewer with them are scored better than some where the skating and dancing skills are a lot better.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Okay, in that regard I agree, but I think an ice dance program does not only need to show that you have the ability, but also be a captivating program per se. I admit, ice dance scoring... I actually know nothing about it, but it seems to me that programs that are taking the viewer with them are scored better than some where the skating and dancing skills are a lot better.
Personally I found it captivating.

It was on a rewatch that I suddenly thought "hey, they're actually managing to dance to that music".