2023 Cup of China Free Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
After my FS buddy spilled that PΒ² won, I could watch FD in peace. Because my always worrying head was too occupied with worry to turn up the stream.
It was more tentative this time. Was it location, travel, yesterday's twizzles, being in 2nd? Not sure (I have one more tinfoil hat theory about that, but I won't spread it). It sort of worries me for the prospect of GPF in China though (but I'm ALWAYS in a state of worry, especially about FS, except maybe when I'm crafting). The thing for me though is...that this FD is not about being 'pretty', pristine clean - yeah, levels are important in the grand scheme of things, but I feel that this is the only program this season in ID (my subjective opinion of course which is not facts!!) that has that 'throat-grabbing' ability shining above all technicalities. It just has such strong, emotional grip going off naturally, from the mixture of music, movement and most importantly emotion and storytelling.
I'm too jaded to think that they are 'favourites' for anything this season (because tgey are definitely not favourites of judges and panels lol), but I hope they can sort of channel 'underdogs' mindset when it comes to competing forward. Plus that they are in good health and spirits about their own work.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I am happy Piper and Paul are getting pushed. It will just make them better.
Agree - they won everything the first half of the season last year and only got Bronze at Worlds. I know that was due to Piper’s surgery but C/B really pushed themselves to improve and develop their programmes for Worlds so I think it’s better for Piper and Paul to have the same competitive push this year.

Andrea82

Medalist
Summing the two programs

4 judges had Gilles/Poirier winning: Conacher (Canada), Pontonnier (France), Soos (Hungary) and Levshunova (Georgia). The lead would range from +4.19 (Conacher) to +11.69 (Levshunova)
5 judges had Lajoie/Lagha winning: Chen (China), Dalley (USA), Gordon Poltorak (Poland), Mokra (Czech Republic) and Yacopetti (Australia). Chen, Dalley and Mokra had L/L winning by 1-2 points overall, G-P and Yacopetti by 4-5 points.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
WOW at the score progression !!!!! BRAVO !!!!! So happy for them !!! GPF bound for both Canadian teams.
I haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet, but just looking at the scores, this is a huge step forward for Lajoie/Lagha. This moves them into the upper echelon of teams (not quite worlds podium yet), but firmly top 6, I think. Well-deserved. Hopefully it's not a one-off. Also congrats to Piper and Paul. They came out with such a bang at Skate Canada that I'm sure they're a bit disappointed in themselves, but I'm sure they'll just go home now and train like gangbusters.

rain

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the top 3, who all have some of my favourite free dances of the season.

Piper and Paul's FD is still my absolute favourite. I think they are underscored on the curve lift, but maybe the judges want to be able to throw some more points at the them later in the season. Some lower levels here on the step sequences than at Skate Canada, which is usually due to being a bit more cautious. I understand why they may have pulled back a little after the RD, but full abandon gets you their Skate Canada score, rather than the more conservative one here for a bit of a more conservative performance. If I could change one thing I think it would be the choreographic lift at the end. They score well on it, but I think it could be more special. And that's just if I have to choose something to nit pick about the program. This dance is just everything this season.

I've gushed before about how much I love Lajoie/Lagha's FD as well and it just gets more and more sublime. You can really see the vast improvement this team has made since the start of the season, and I'm pleased to see the marks reflecting that. Amazing performance. I think this was something of a breakthrough for them. I think it elevates them to pushing Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and the Brits, well ahead of the rest of the chase pack. Their speed and power is just breathtaking.

And that was probably the major difference I noticed between them and Green/Parsons. Green/Parsons don't (yet) have the speed and flow over the ice that Marjorie and Zach have. I love this program for Green/Parsons. They do modern dance better than almost anyone on the circuit now. This program is so much better than the pablum of last season.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I am glad that all 3 Us dance teams skated great 😊 G/P P/B and B/S. All a little underscored.
To me G/p skated well and receive score deserved. They emoted more and connected to audience .

L/L seem to skate slower but connect To audience.

Great πŸ‘Œ..
Like watching for once.

Too bad can't show all disciplines on tv . πŸŒΌπŸŽ‰