2023 Cup of China Rhythm Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Rhythm Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Xizi & Jianing are my favorite Chinese team. There is just something about them that captures my focus.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily & Ian chose music I have actually skated to - When Doves Cry so I already love that. To hear they chose it because of Yuzu is really interesting. They are both such strong performers and I appreciate that they made done some unique choices. I like this skate as well. Emily looks so cute. Good finish above the GEO and FRA teams.

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Eva & Logan, but I hate this music. Logan has such natural rhythm and looks like he can do any style. It looks a bit unnatural on Eva but she has obviously worked very hard at it. It makes her look a bit jerky at times, but their elements are quite good and their overall speed and glide is improving steadily.

now off to ladies sp

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Emily & Ian chose music I have actually skated to - When Doves Cry so I already love that. To hear they chose it because of Yuzu is really interesting.
With all due respect, Yuzu is not the first association I would make. In any case, I believe this Prince song was picked by at least two or three other ID teams this season, including Flores/ Desyatov, who have it as their second selection behind Def Leppard's Pour a Little Sugar On Me.

While I love Ian Somerville, I am not enamored of his partner, Emily Bratti. She's not quite as strong as he is, though she surely works hard. Bratti also seems to have grown a bit taller, and Ian is not very tall. Ian Somerville looked best with his first partner whom he grew up skating with, Eliana Gropman. Ian quit his long-term partnership with Eliana, impulsively and ill-advisedly.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well neither would I, but @labgoat seems to indicate that the team did choose it for that reason, so why the caveating? In any case, nice choice.
Just my thoughts, as I said, with all due respect to Yuzu and to B/S. The Prince song choice is certainly not a unique one this season. Fine for B/S to have been inspired by Yuzu's iconic performance. Just as Zach Lagha always wanted to skate to MJ's Thriller. Cool that these skaters got to pick fave inspirations to perform to this season on the RD. I find Lajoie/ Lagha's execution of the iconic MJ Thriller, obviously more dynamic and successful.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Well the result was a bit of an upset, but I'd be shocked if Lajoie and Lagha keep that lead after the free.

Was it me or was there something going on with Lajoie and Lagha in the warmup? He looked desperate to leave the ice at the end..

I enjoyed Bratti and Somerville's RD as they looked like they were genuinely having fun out there. While not getting the score they'd have hoped, I think Green and Parsons still look to be one the strongest US teams.

Shame the French team's creativity with their steps wasn't rewarded a bit more. Interesting to compare them with their training mates Dupayage and Nabais last week. Kazakova and Revia ought to be worried with levels like that now they've got some domestic competition. They need to be a stronger than that if they want to be the top Georgian team.

rain

Record Breaker
Gutted for Piper and Paul, though Piper did a tremendous job to save the level on the twizzles after the error, so it wasn't as costly as it could have been. I have no doubt they can come back with a spectacular free to win. Rightfully behind Lajoie/Lagha who were just phenomenal — the speed and precision! And he has totally come out of his shell in this RD. I know it won't be popular to say this, but in terms of material and performance this season so far, I prefer La/La to Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen.