2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

mrrice

Record Breaker
The elevation in Colorado Springs is just over 6 thousand feet. We sang at Red Rocks outside of Denver and it was hard on all of us. We'd been in eastern Colorado before we got there and we were all struggling to breathe. You get used to it after you've been there for a while but, the skaters will be there for less than a week.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So... my impatience has resulted in some conspiracy theory crafting.

I have been spending an inordinate about of time clinking around on anything related to this event and its local and came across The Penrose Room

Basically its pay a yearly fee for club level access type thing.

Looking at the benefits on that page you will notice.

Advance Notice and Premier Ticket Purchasing - Members receive notification of new events before anyone else and have first access to purchase tickets, both at the Pikes Peak Center and at the Broadmoor World Arena, prior to public on-sale.

So... this event is less than a month old in terms of announcements. It is very possible that they contractually have to wait to put this in a newsletter and offer advance sales before they can announce for the rest of us.

... so the next step in the conspiracy... does anyone know someone or know someone who knows someone who can at least keep an eye out for announcements for us? I feel like this might be a good next breadcrumb to follow.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
does anyone remember how much tickets were in 2019? trying to get a feel if i'll be able to afford an all event package or have to pick single events.

I believe between $400-$600.

Then again that is LA and had Nathan as a draw, then again inflation... so who knows.

I think i am cautiously optimistic tickets will be available for under a grand.

... that said, i have been rather enjoy all our chat here in this thread, but i think they time may have come to move over to

as that is probably the more appropriate place to be at this point. This is largely selfish as i keep checking there and then remembering... ohh yeah that thread is in the edge. Still, I want to keep the discourse going, but i don't want to step on any toes.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, they want peanuts for the tickets at any 4CCs I have been to. Nats is overpriced IMHO. We shall see if old man inflation has changed 4 cc prices. The week break between the two is gonna kick my butt..... :( At least I am getting three week breaks between summer trips....
Ugh. Sofias mother wants me to go to 4CCs but I promised to go to US Nats if Gracie made it.

nguyhm

On the Ice
FYI - For anyone who can fly Southwest they have very affordable low fares for February 2023. A non stop roundtrip from Dallas to Colorado Springs is around $200.
It looks like hotel rates have been updated. I was able to book at Fairfield by Marriott for $114/night (members rate for one king bed). The hotel is a 9 minutes walk to the World Ice Arena. There are other hotels around the area for affordable prices depending on your budget and preferences. I found Fairfield the most affordable for me.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FYI - For anyone who can fly Southwest they have very affordable low fares for February 2023. A non stop roundtrip from Dallas to Colorado Springs is around $200.
It looks like hotel rates have been updated. I was able to book at Fairfield by Marriott for $114/night (members rate for one king bed). The hotel is a 9 minutes walk to the World Ice Arena. There are other hotels around the area for affordable prices depending on your budget and preferences. I found Fairfield the most affordable for me.
I heard that airfare prices had plummeted and were expected to drop further.

nsbhoangmai

Spectator
Does anyone have any predictions on whether we should wait for single-event tickets or try for all-event, given that the capacity if Broadmoor (7343) is between that of Boston Skating Club (2500) and Honda Center (18336)? I remember Honda Center was not that packed in 2019, but I got trauma from the Boston SC sold-out. Any insight would be much appreciated 😊

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am starting to lose hope that we will even have all events tickets at this rate!

The lack of news is a bit concerning to say the least.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
so, like, you will have to shop for separate entries? I guess save money on pairs option then.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
That is what i am starting to fear. Probably not founded, but still. Honestly the practice sessions are what i am most looking forward to, so that is fueling my fear.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Just an FYI. I travel alot so I call them up and email them and email Bob Dunlop the event chair and ask them on FB about when I might expect to get advanced notice that tickets will go on sale for us doners. I dont need a firm date....just an idea....I get squat. I have been a doner for over 10 years. From what I can tell, they havent replaced Brent the FOFS folk handler (gifting chair) Brent was fantastic, even if he got back from to you with a IDK. I suspect they pay squat and in this market, that is what you get as there are lots of jobs out there. I hate to say this but the rant that The Skating Lesson did on the USFS about being a total social media/buzz failure rings true. I should be fair and say that while 200K "Like" them on FB and 300k "follow" them, IIRC there are less than 500 people who join FOFS. I know lots of people dont have lots of money....but sending them some bucks...even if its just a hamburger meal's worth, helps young skaters. As far as the non profit org, its not being run right. IMHO.
Normally, us members may only get 3-5 days notice that the presale will start and you have to fight for seats with the other 500 members. THAT sucks.....
I am not feeling the love here. I am going to Nevada and camping out in the high desert for two weeks and then I go on a cruise in December. All I want to know is if the tickets will go on sale between Sept 20th and Dec 8th.
Love. Holland America loves me. They cant do enough for me.....maybe they should get my money.....They have pretty girls who will talk to me and me. also.

And they are polite and well mannered and friendly. And Bacon. Lots of bacon....And they say I clean up good...when was the last time a USFS official told you that?

It really sucks that they are not more responsive to supportive fans. Something does seem very ... off about how USFS operates often times. It does seem like they should have the resources to promote themselves better, but they don't. I almost wonder if too many of them are stuck in the past golden days of televised skating to the point that they can't see the forest for the trees. They don't see the worth in online... well anything, and seem to think TV is be all end all. They should show more love for the fans that actually buy tickets, and want to encourage more people to do so.

I am with you that some sort of feedback would be nice. Honestly i would be happy to find out if we will get access to practice sessions. That makes a big difference in travel/time off plans. It really sucks that they can not give us anything. This started as something i was excited about... now i am just worried it will turn to disappointment. Not a fun feeling at all.

I mean i can understand if they are still working on the logistics. They have to find/negotiate a official hotel, which can't be fun this close, they have to work out a schedule... this is reasonable to want to get done before you sell tickets. They may have to still get permits/approval from the city. But again... they don't get social media, they don't get that they can just communicate this stuff. If they said "we are waiting on a permit" no one would be offended or upset... we would take note and move on and buy tickets when the time comes. Now we are just grumpy!