2023 JGP Cup of Austria Men's Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Cup of Austria Men's Short Program

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Every time I see Semen Daniliants, I am obligated to share the Tweet I saw years ago in which a lady was very upset about his name. "How dare the ISU allow this? I thought this was supposed to be a family-friendly sport!" like wait lemme just change my name I'm really sorry about that Carol
I must say I'm actually not a fan of that transliteration and it has little to do with the other meaning in English and other languages (that's not unusual for many names) but with the difference in pronunciation. In Russian, it's closer to Semion (kind of like Simon, which is actually the English name equivalent) and not Semen.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Every time I see Semen Daniliants, I am obligated to share the Tweet I saw years ago in which a lady was very upset about his name. "How dare the ISU allow this? I thought this was supposed to be a family-friendly sport!" like wait lemme just change my name I'm really sorry about that Carol

Semen Shnapir did...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I must say I'm actually not a fan of that transliteration and it has little to do with the other meaning in English and other languages (that's not unusual for many names) but with the difference in pronunciation. In Russian, it's closer to Semion (kind of like Simon, which is actually the English name equivalent) and not Semen.

I agree. As another example, I was never happy with the way that Leonova's first name was transliterated as "Alena", whereas other skaters with the exact same name were transliterated as "Alyona".

And as it turns out, Daniliants isn't here anyway.

CaroLiza_fan