2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
to add to the +3lo combo... I could understand if they were trying to get an edge in the SP... though it's unnecessary really, but in the LP, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially when there is a solo 3t done just after.... Poor strategy or just really bad maths... or both.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think Kaori's reaction sums up many folks' feelings about this season. It has been a grind....
This was a nail biter, but it brought out the full range of emotions in the skaters and in the fans...Nothing here was pre ordained.
Congrats to Haein for holding it together and proving Four Conts wasnt a fluke...and of course to my wonderful Kaori...it has been an honor and privlidge to watch you both skate live and like so many others, show the world that beauty in performance art isnt predicated on 3As and quads.
And the big winners are the wonderful Japanese fans...best skating fans in the world. I have no idea how many of you showed up, but if someone said 20,000, I would believe them.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't understand the technical details (as in which jump to use and when) but it's only common sense to have a backup.

Come to think of it, it's not much different from hiding a key to your house somewhere or leaving one with a neighbor in case you get locked out. Or keeping a paper copy of your driver's license or passport or backing up documents online. Stuff happens; why not be prepared? ;)
Its like you KNOW me....key burried on my 15 acres...Spare copy of drivers licence and pass port stored in spare wallet and on line whether I am on a bike trip to Montana or going to Nicaragua.

I think there are skaters that can think on their feet but I also think that is not easy...in some cases, just putting out another double would have won a comp...

JimR

On the Ice
It became interesting in the last 6. I enjoyed Nina P and Kimmy a lot earlier. Across Europeans, Junior Worlds, Worlds, Kimmy has been clean throughout (at Junior Worlds they were harsh with her some jumps got a q but fell asleep with the final 6 of course). Someone on here made a comment about calling Safesport on her which is offensive, but she has a classic tall ectomorph build you don't really see in this sport because the height and long legs ruins the centre of gravity. It's great to see differing body types in the sport and doing well.

I thought Luna kind of fortunate that she doesn't have to fully rotate her jumps and the judges didn't pick up on it, and possibly lucky for not getting a deduction for her costume in the SP and FS. It just needs to be a little longer and not translucent.

Solid skate from Levito but lacking something from the short program.

I was kind of shocked that the judges pulled up Mihara on her jumps.

Haein Lee was the star and announced her arrival (albeit at ISU level of skating).

I think Sakamoto would have had to blown up completely to lose with that lead in a competition with zero ultra c. She got the job done. A fast double axel was the highlight of the program.

I think she can go for three in a row because I don't see Russians being allowed back. Is that good for the sport? It probably is. It gives it some legitimacy when Sakamoto wins. Haein Lee probably can't maintain that kind of consistency each tournament. Maybe Sakamoto can go for 4 in a row.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As far as i'm concerned Isabeau did her best to keep 3 spots finishing in the top 4 but she needed more help then this. Not good to lose a spot without the Russians here.:eek:
sad about Bradie emploading.....but after attending US nats, I say the US is not a Japan or Korea.... not a comment on the skaters....it just is something that IS, for many reasons. I would love to see some of the younger US skaters prove me wrong....

mskater93

Record Breaker
sad about Bradie emploading.....but after attending US nats, I say the US is not a Japan or Korea.... not a comment on the skaters....it just is something that IS, for many reasons. I would love to see some of the younger US skaters prove me wrong....
I hope Lindsay proves you wrong!!! I was most impressed by Thorngren last year and was deeply disappointed that the USFS didn't show her love in 22 and then she had a huge growth spurt

JimR

On the Ice
some years ago the ISU changed the name of the game - from ladies to women.
Then the very young russian girls began to reign the discipline. 15 years old with bodies seemed to be not more than 12 years old.

The podims last year and today deserve to be called the womens podium. I really appreciate that.

Kamila has the body of what looks like a 19 year old and landed two clean quads in the Russian Nationals and GP Final.

Kamila is certainly taller than Sakamoto and Luna, not sure if taller than Haein Lee but certainly a more 'solid' mature athletic body. But Kamila towers over Sakamoto and Luna.

lunastartron

Rinkside
Bradie was unfairly propped up at Nationals with the blind eye turned to her underrotations in the SP and the Fed is reaping the fallout. Injury aside, her jumps have become increasingly less rotated every year.

The US doesn’t have to be as deep as Japan or Korea to meet the metric of holding onto three spots, especially in a Russia-free field. Four Continents was a forecast of how easily the Americans could lost that third berth and it came to fruition even with Isabeau’s strong performance.

Failing to cultivate experience in younger athletes like Lindsay is going to worsen the challenges of the USFS women’s program.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No-one coming along in juniors, so Isabeau might be the end of the line.
I don't believe this is the end of the line, but a temporary situation. I always think how the US rose from the ashes of the 1961 plane crash and had Peggy Fleming up and coming not too soon after. As long as we have rinks we will have skaters.

JimR

On the Ice
I don't believe this is the end of the line, but a temporary situation. I always think how the US rose from the ashes of the 1961 plane crash and had Peggy Fleming up and coming not too soon after. As long as we have rinks we will have skaters.
The sport is better with a strong US team. I hope they can turn it around.

Fluture

Record Breaker
There are a few promising US juniors though, I don't know what this user is talking about. Soho Lee (who won a silver on the JGP) and Josephine Lee (who finished 5th at senior nationals) for example. Both struggled at Junior Worlds but they're kids, it happens. Doesn't mean they're not talented.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Personally I was rather impressed by Ava Ziegler. What about her?

I don't agree with the "we have always had skaters coming up" stance though. Sportive success is just never a given, the structures and financing really have a huge impact on top results. To a certain degree personal ambition of athlete and environment can make up for it, but it will only bring results in singular cases, not on a systematic level.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand the technical details (as in which jump to use and when) but it's only common sense to have a backup.

Come to think of it, it's not much different from hiding a key to your house somewhere or leaving one with a neighbor in case you get locked out. Or keeping a paper copy of your driver's license or passport or backing up documents online. Stuff happens; why not be prepared? ;)
Or, start with an easy jump, like a double axel. Especially at Worlds, where a first time skater like Isabeau is likely to be more nervous.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Kamila is certainly taller than Sakamoto and Luna, not sure if taller than Haein Lee but certainly a more 'solid' mature athletic body. But Kamila towers over Sakamoto and Luna.
A month ago, Kamila herself claimed to be 163 cm tall, which would be merely 4 cm taller than Kaori and 3 cm taller than Loena. I'm not sure I would call that towering above them.

Haein is officially taller than Kami, but I wouldn't say she towers above Loena or Kaori either. Sure, she looks taller, but not like some other podiums with actually big height differences.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I feel the worst for Bradie. She worked so incredibly hard to come back only to have it fall apart at the worst possible time. I am proud of Isabeau, yes she has her flaws but I love her detailed choreography , brightness and competitive nerve. Amber is Amber - often injured, full of talent, but unable to skate cleanly with any regularity. Not sure what else we can do about it given the current talent pool. I will root for them and hope someone rises up from the depths to seize an opportunity.
I feel bad for Bradie, too. Especially since I really like her long program, Greta Thunberg voiceover notwithstanding. I'm not writing her off. This is still a come-back year for her. Isabeau lost being on the podium with her fall. All season long, she has been so consistent, it was kind of shocking. She will have another chance, though.

withwings

On the Ice
Do you have access to the ISU feed on YouTube? They've been posting complete replays and also a few segments of individual skaters.

Re: ISU on YT, I downloaded the Proton VPN from the Apple app store to access. Proton is also available for Android devices; it's been working like a charm for me!
Thank you!!!:cheer: it worked out!!! thanks!!

HumbleFan

Rinkside
It was simply amazing. The best thing to air on the TV. Loving it! A bog thank you to all you who made this possible, the athletes, the coaches, the judges....

Last edited: