2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Uliana's weaknesses are very obvious on the screen... and from my experience, it gets worse "live" I haven't seen her skate yet in person, but if it's what I think it may be, indeed, she will need more than just landing all her jumps to win a title in Canada. This being said, it's nice to see how such a strong jumper in the field will push the others to be more consistent and improve their content, and Uliana can simply look around and see how she can improve her own skating skills. I don't see any problem with how she is scored so far in Canada. BTW, it's not like she scored much better internationally (at least that's my impression from JGP) so her issues are seen elsewhere too.
I have seen her skate in person, and no, her 'flaws' are not strongly obvious, particularly in the short program. The audience, what little there was of it, actually came alive during her skates too, because she stayed on her feet and watching the splatter fest was getting incredibly tiring. The judges were really unfair to her.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's not about "putting all eggs in a basket", it's that judges who are used to seeing a certain standard in for example skating skills are also going to score someone below that standard more strictly than judges who are not used to that same standard, especially when the skater stands out negatively compared to the whole rest of the competition.

Even though the IJS is supposed to offer objective guidelines for scoring, experience does shape how judges see things. This is really obvious in the judging in small feds for example, where scoring for the top skaters can often surpass the international scoring by 10+ points, simply because these skaters are so far ahead of what they usually see.
I understand that they are used to ice dancers for the most part, but it was so strakly obvious that she could jump and everyone else couldn't. Seriously, shame on them for being so narrow-minded and short-sighted, particularly that Quebec judge. It's thanks to them that we are seeing what we are seeing in Canadian singles now. Complete lack of anyone to even hope for.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I understand that they are used to ice dancers for the most part, but it was so strakly obvious that she could jump and everyone else couldn't. Seriously, shame on them for being so narrow-minded and short-sighted, particularly that Quebec judge. It's thanks to them that we are seeing what we are seeing in Canadian singles now. Complete lack of anyone to even hope for.
Jumps are completely irrelevant when judging any other aspect - And they have to be for the judging system to work. That most judges don't follow this principle is one of the biggest problems in skating right now.

Uliana's skating skills are weak in comparison to even the majority of singles skaters in Canada, not even talking about the dancers, and her performance skills are nothing to write home about either. Her spins are decent, not exceptionally good, but also not exceptionally bad.

Yes, jumps are important, but the goal is not - and also should not be - to reward one-sided skating.

In Novices and the younger juniors, we are currently seeing that this culture is actually starting to bear fruit - Lia Cho for example has the jumps, but also the skating skills. Lulu Lin has decent jumps, great skating skills and exceptional performance skills.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have seen her skate in person, and no, her 'flaws' are not strongly obvious, particularly in the short program. The audience, what little there was of it, actually came alive during her skates too, because she stayed on her feet and watching the splatter fest was getting incredibly tiring. The judges were really unfair to her.
It's often common that a skater with weaker skating skills will look better in the SP as it is shorter and packed with the required elements.
Regarding the Quebec judge : you know, that's not surprising : Quebec skaters, for the longest time, were known for very strong skating and performance skills and weaker jumps versus the rest of Canada... Of course, there were some exceptional skaters who had it all.... but it's never been a place where the jumps were first priority with young skaters. Same with the men, which is a huge problem right now...... the good ones end up doing dance and pairs. Call it unfair, I call it simply cultural.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In Novices and the younger juniors, we are currently seeing that this culture is actually starting to bear fruit - Lia Cho for example has the jumps, but also the skating skills. Lulu Lin has decent jumps, great skating skills and exceptional performance skills.
In Quebec after decades of focusing on performance, the younger skaters are now finally training jumps... I had never seen as many 3-3 combos and harder triples at Challenge than this year. Fée Ann is a good example of a skater who could skate with power and ease, and a good performance level, but acquired her big jumps only later.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Uliana's skating skills are weak in comparison to even the majority of singles skaters in Canada, not even talking about the dancers, and her performance skills are nothing to write home about either. Her spins are decent, not exceptionally good, but also not exceptionally bad.

Yes, jumps are important, but the goal is not - and also should not be - to reward one-sided skating.
This is mostly my impression from watching her in person at Challenge. I do think her skating skills didn't stand out as significantly weaker than others in her warm-up group the way that I noticed it in the first group though. I'm not a trained judge though. Her presentation did stand out as weaker. Where she ranked in PCS for the free skate (around the middle) is fair in my opinion.

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Robert Brodie writes in this interview that Maddie Schizas is getting her new FP choreo from Scott Moir, Madison Hubbell and Adrian Diaz at IAM Ontario and that her SP choreo from Allison Purkiss is already done
(replying here since it's the current thread)

Good to see that she's splitting up her course load over the next two years. A full course load on top of competing and working with different choreographers around southern Ontario is a lot.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
World Standings update was correct for indicating who wasn't retiring. And Sara-Maude at SCI 😍

I can't see anyone but Bombardier/Mimar getting the SCI TBD spot, unless the possible McIntosh/Zandron team are competing for Canada.

So if the criteria (National medalist and/or GP assignment) remains the same, the National Team for 2024-25 will likely be:

Men
Wesley Chiu
Aleksa Rakic
Anthony Paradis
Roman Sadovsky
Stephen Gogolev

Women
Kaiya Ruiter
Madeline Schizas
Hetty Shi
Sara-Maude Dupuis

Pairs
Deanna Stellato-Dudek/Maxime Deschamps
Lia Pereira/Trennt Michaud
Kelly Ann Laurin/Loucas Ethier
TBD spot at SCI may be added to National Team?

Ice Dance
Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac
Alicia Fabbri/Paul Ayer
Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha
Laurence Fournier Beaudry/Nikolaj Soerensen

Synchro
Les Supremes
Nova
Nexxice

Last edited:

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I thought that Anthony Paradis has already said that he will be staying in Juniors internationally? Also, I don't think Hetty Shi is age eligible for seniors yet?

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I thought that Anthony Paradis has already said that he will be staying in Juniors internationally? Also, I don't think Hetty Shi is age eligible for seniors yet?
National Team isn't based on the level they compete internationally. The criteria is:

1 - National senior medalist (they're both the senior bronze medalists)
and/or
2 - GP assignment

So even if they're not competing senior internationally, they are automatically on the National Team based on Nationals. Gogo was named to the 2019-20 National Team based on his silver medal at Nationals when he wasn't eligible to compete senior internationally at that time.

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
National Team isn't based on the level they compete internationally. The criteria is:

1 - National senior medalist (they're both the senior bronze medalists)
and/or
2 - GP assignment

So even if they're not competing senior internationally, they are automatically on the National Team based on Nationals. Gogo was named to the 2019-20 National Team based on his silver medal at Nationals when he wasn't eligible to compete senior internationally at that time.
Interesting. Surely that wastes some of the spots on the national team?

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Interesting. Surely that wastes some of the spots on the national team?
I don't think so, there's no set number of spots except for the medalists. The only difference for them is that they'll likely do the NextGen competition instead of High Performance Camp.

icedancefan17

Rinkside
New Ice Dance team - Dana Sabatini-Speciale/Danny Kaye:

Not sure which country they'll compete for, they'd have four options to choose from after all - CAN, ITA, GBR, IRL :drama: Barbara Fusar Poli is tagged, so maybe that's a small tip-off towards Italy?

I’m happy she found a partner!

Yes, so many options for representation! Interesting to see which they choose!!

Both Andrew Hallam (TCSCC) and Barbara Fusar Poli are also tagged, so maybe they will train in Toronto and Italy, do a bit of both?

I love that Barbara just gained another team and potentially a new country she doesn’t have yet (Canada, Great Britain or Ireland)!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
New Ice Dance team - Dana Sabatini-Speciale/Danny Kaye:

Not sure which country they'll compete for, they'd have four options to choose from after all - CAN, ITA, GBR, IRL :drama: Barbara Fusar Poli is tagged, so maybe that's a small tip-off towards Italy?

Not necessarily, because Ireland's Senior Men's skater, Dillon Judge, is now based out of the IceLab club in Italy. So, there is already a relationship between the Irish and Italian Feds.

I'm tempted to say "ask Danny", because he has been known to participate in skating discussions online.

Although it ends my dreams of him and Milla O'Brien partnering up for Ireland, I am delighted that Danny has finally found a partner.

I'm not familiar with Dana (from your comment, I'm guessing that she's Canadian with Italian heritage), but I am looking forward to seeing them in action.

All the best to them.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

icedancefan17

Rinkside
Not necessarily, because Ireland's Senior Men's skater, Dillon Judge, is now based out of the IceLab club in Italy. So, there is already a relationship between the Irish and Italian Feds.

I'm tempted to say "ask Danny", because he is an active member on here.

Although it ends my dreams of him and Milla O'Brien partnering up for Ireland, I am delighted that Danny has finally found a partner.

I'm not familiar with Dana (from your comment, I'm guessing that she's Canadian with Italian heritage), but I am looking forward to seeing them in action.

All the best to them.

CaroLiza_fan
Dana was on the JGP circuit for Canada for the past 2 years. Best result was 5th at JGP Budapest this past year. She is quite a good skater.

She used to be a free skater before switching to dance a few years ago. According to what I have seen on her Instagram stories in the past, she had triples and Brian Orser was one of her coaches. She has amazing spins, as she still posts current videos on her stories.

Last edited:

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Dana was on the JGP circuit for Canada for the past 2 years. Best result was 5th at JGP Budapest this past year. She is quite a good skater.

She used to be a free skater before switching to dance a few years ago. According to what I have seen on her Instagram stories in the past, she had triples and Brian Orser was one of her coaches. She has amazing spins, as she still posts current videos on her stories.
Presumably that means they either need to represent Canada (which would probably give them fewer international opportunities longer term unless they could be top 2 or 3 in the country) or wait 2 years for her release before they can represent a different fed?

icedancefan17

Rinkside
Presumably that means they either need to represent Canada (which would probably give them fewer international opportunities longer term unless they could be top 2 or 3 in the country) or wait 2 years for her release before they can represent a different fed?
Not necessarily, as I’ve heard that the process is different for Jrs, especially pairs/dance teams, as partner splits happen often. I know a friend who works for a lower level Skate Canada job and she said that when the Skate Canada board votes on the release, they sometimes automatically say that they don’t have wait, as the skater was not the top in the world. For example, it would be a fighting match if Piper/Paul or Deanna/Max wanted to switch. But since she was only Jr and didn’t go to Jr Worlds or Final, my friend doesn’t see a problem.

It will be interesting to see if Canada’s country change proposal passes at Congress. So far ISU is not in favour, so I don’t think it will pass at all.

Weathergal

Medalist
I don't think so, there's no set number of spots except for the medalists. The only difference for them is that they'll likely do the NextGen competition instead of High Performance Camp.
Interesting. I always thought they capped it at five.