2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Interesting. I always thought they capped it at five.
The criteria was top 5 at Nationals or at the discretion of Skate Canada before. So here for the 2017-18 National Team announcement, they have 5 men, 5 women, 6 pairs and 5 ice dance teams.

My projection for 2024-25 is 5 men, 4 women, 3 pairs and 5 ice dance. So it's more effective for capping the numbers this way for Skate Canada if the skaters aren't getting GP assignments.

Weathergal

Medalist
The criteria was top 5 at Nationals or at the discretion of Skate Canada before. So here for the 2017-18 National Team announcement, they have 5 men, 5 women, 6 pairs and 5 ice dance teams.

My projection for 2024-25 is 5 men, 4 women, 3 pairs and 5 ice dance. So it's more effective for capping the numbers this way for Skate Canada if the skaters aren't getting GP assignments.
Thanks for the info!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, jumps are important, but the goal is not - and also should not be - to reward one-sided skating.
And they didn't achieve this goal by low balling her out of existence on the second side. She shouldn't have been graded so low, because no, it wasn't THIS much worse as the scores lead to believe. They were grading her like she was standing on ice with her arms to her side between jumping passes, when it's really untrue. She could deliver a balanced skate when all others can't if their life depended on it because they can't jump.

Lulu Lin, at least live, skated from board to board, looking straight ahead. She is lively, but she is not exactly a heart-grabbing performer. Shi was more organic in that age group.

The seniors though, they were really weak on jumping side. The amount of falls just didn't compute for me for women's skating. And it wasn't like they were trying hard jumps too. It didn't look like women's skating where everything should be perfect. This includes spins too, because very few did Bielmans (my mom complained non-stop). Shiryaeva, with all her flaws, was actually watchable next to the rest of the cohorts.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's often common that a skater with weaker skating skills will look better in the SP as it is shorter and packed with the required elements.
Regarding the Quebec judge : you know, that's not surprising : Quebec skaters, for the longest time, were known for very strong skating and performance skills and weaker jumps versus the rest of Canada... Of course, there were some exceptional skaters who had it all.... but it's never been a place where the jumps were first priority with young skaters. Same with the men, which is a huge problem right now...... the good ones end up doing dance and pairs. Call it unfair, I call it simply cultural.
Wonderful, so put down the rest of the country with their snobbish no-jumps culture, and here we are, with a single spot. Which was my point exactly. Quebec needs to stop its bullying of other talent. Shiryaeva should have placed higher vs others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wonderful, so put down the rest of the country with their snobbish no-jumps culture, and here we are, with a single spot. Which was my point exactly. Quebec needs to stop its bullying of other talent. Shiryaeva should have placed higher vs others.
Quebec is not bullying anyone. This was the way skating was taught here and Quebec girls suffered a lot from it because the Ontario and BC girls had the jumps. Emily Bausback is an example of a Canadian champion that wasn't very elegant and smooth on the ice...
;). It is the opposite. One Quebec judge marking Uliana lower on PCs may be a cultural reflection but it is not bullying, and the other judges have their word to say.... You are reinterpreting my words in a funky manner.

Last edited:

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Patrick Chan is to be inducted into Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, according to a CBC article. So well deserved. I was glad to have seen him live at SOI in Toronto - such an icon! He floated across the ice and the music seemed to pour out of him. I miss him and skating like he gave us. A superb artist and technician.

Sackie

Medalist
Let's hope they stay together. Lately it seems a lot of pairs team up but it only lasts for one season. Almost like they want to get great results right off the bat and if that doesn't happen they split.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Wow! Canadians at an event outside Canada 😯 Amazing
Also, I enjoy these three skaters
Event outside Canada yes, but unfortunately not an international event. Still, it will be an opportunity for some Canadian skaters to get feedback from non-Canadian judges, which is also already valuable.

And I'm sure we'll see some entries at Lake Placid Ice Dance International next month too ☺️

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
The new age limits for Junior Ice Dance are making this season interesting:

Nguyen/Giang were entered as Juniors before the limit passed. So they'd intended that before Congress. They have one more season of eligibility since Brendan turns 21 next month.

Gauthier/Thieren are new today, so they may have been waiting for it to pass before going back to Juniors. They have one more season of eligibility under the new limit since they both turn 21 during this upcoming season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I posted this in the CQÉ thread... but i feel good about these two teams being in the junior category because they are clearly at the development stages and have a long way to go before they get any senior events, unlike other teams who, in the past, competed in both categories while being top contenders in seniors as well...

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Elizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot/Daniel Villeneuve aren't on the teams :unsure: If I'm reading the criteria right, any Pairs team (Junior or Senior) that's competing in 2024-25 should automatically be on Equipe B (like Joy Weinberg/Thierry Ferland before they've competed.) I'm guessing that means they split.