2024 Four Continents Men's Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2024 Four Continents Men's Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My pet peeve is commentators butchering names of the very top skaters. I understand that commentators won't have time to learn the pronunciation of the every skaters' names, but just the current top 5 of each discipline should be doable right?

"Keori Sakamoto" - please, she's 2 times world champion and Olympics bronze medalist, is it too much to ask to pronounce her name correctly :palmf:
It should be very easy. At every skating comp I've ever been to they say the names at practices (x skater will be practicing their short program, or whatever) and at the end of the practice they say "if we are not pronouncing your name correctly please let us know".

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
My pet peeve is commentators butchering names of the very top skaters. I understand that commentators won't have time to learn the pronunciation of the every skaters' names, but just the current top 5 of each discipline should be doable right?
Howarth’s pronunciation of Rizzo’s first name at Europeans drove me up the wall. That was just plain ignit. I’m the polar opposite of Italian yet I know darn well that’s not the way you pronounce his name.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It should be very easy. At every skating comp I've ever been to they say the names at practices (x skater will be practicing their short program, or whatever) and at the end of the practice they say "if we are not pronouncing your name correctly please let us know".
But that's for the announcers in-arena. Doesn't mean the tv commentators will take heed. (and they don't lol).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, okay - the press release made it sound like they weren't selected because they didn't need the ranking points.
Most of our top skaters either declined in advance or withdrew immediately after Nationals. Amber withdrew. The only gold medalists we have here are Ellie and Danny. Ilia and Jason pre declined. Chock and Bates WD due to illness.

That was a mini stuffie rain. I miss the Poohs.