2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

slider11

Medalist
Ok I know they are supposed to be impartial but I lived for Mark and Tonia going absolutely insane in the broadcast booth. It was everything.
I agree! I love an enthusiastic commentator! Mark and Tonia captured the excitement in the arena! And I truly believe they were on the side of each team. It's just when it was Deanna and Max's turn, Mark said what the whole arena was thinking.

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I thought that was fair, Deanna and Max were great tonight but the SP was where they really shone. RikuRyu were the opposite. Both teams were rewarded for those segments, and I know Riku will be disappointed with the 2S but they put out honestly two of their best-ever skates after return from injury and that is incredible.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
That was a great skate from the Japanese. Miura will be kicking herself - the pop cost them the gold - but, honestly, they should be very proud of themselves. That was an outstanding showing under pressure, with being out nursing injury for most of the season. Funnily enough, I think this was their best overall competition. Well done!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Also, if you look at the close-up, you can see Danny talking to her for several seconds before some ? of the throws. Like he's coaching her in the middle of it. Sorry, but that would make me more anxious and wouldn't help at all. Then again, everyone is different, so maybe they've agreed to this. To me, it makes it seem less like a partnership.
It also means he isn't being pushed hard enough by an equal partner and is comparatively coasting. Usually, unless something has really interrupted the flow of the program and you're regrouping, trying to get back into the choreography, you don't have the time or the breath or even the looseness in the diaphragm muscles to speak. (Beyond a quick "Ugh" or "Sorry", or "Whew" if disaster had been close.)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
They lost the gold in the Short. Or when she popped the Salchow, take your pick.

I'm honestly a bigger fan of Riku and Ryuichi, but this result is fine. Maybe the total score should be closer, but this was not a robbery, definitely not.
And they did win the long. I was getting quite nervous by the end, thinking they'd won after all, but as you say, they lost too many points in the short program. Or Deanna and Max won too many points, depending on your viewpoint.

Now, for a late supper out here on the west coast.