4 loop. | Golden Skate

4 loop.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Has anyone done a 4 loop yet? I think Mao did one before in pratice, but two-footed it? Can anyone confrim this. Or answer the first question

gio

Medalist
Has anyone done a 4 loop yet? I think Mao did one before in pratice, but two-footed it? Can anyone confrim this. Or answer the first question

The first one was Tonya Harding in a public skating rink. True or not?

Last edited:

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
I believe Tim Goebel had one ratified at Skate America in about 1999 ish. I know he became the first skater to ever land 3 different quads in one program - a feat which has never been repeated.

I think they were the Sal, Toe, and Loop. Can someone else verify?

Canuck

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Goebel was the first person to land 3 Quads in a program, not 3 different Quads. I don't think he (or anyone else) has ever done a Quad Loop in competition.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
I believe Tim Goebel had one ratified at Skate America in about 1999 ish. I know he became the first skater to ever land 3 different quads in one program - a feat which has never been repeated.

I think they were the Sal, Toe, and Loop. Can someone else verify?

Canuck

Nope.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I have doubts over a quad loop actually being ratified. I think we're more likely to see quad flips or quad lutzes before we see a quad loop.

ks777

Record Breaker
no, Tim had only the quad salcow and toe loop. I don't think anyone ever even came close. Mao used to practice but they were badley underrotated.
I am thinking we will see a quad lutz or flip sooner than a quad loop.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Goebel did two 4sal and one 4toe the time(s) he did three triples in a program.

Quad loops have been attempted in practice by various skaters. The earliest reference I found was in a book by Didier Gailhauget from ca. 1974 saying that Ronnie Robertson had been landing some around that time (i.e., in his late 30s). !

Here's a report of many difficult quads being attempted at a competition practice, but I'm not clear from the report whether any of them were actually attempted in the competition itself. Certainly they were not successful.
http://topjump2001.free.fr/eraquad.htm

This was just a jump competition. If we ever are going to see really difficult jumps attempted and eventually landed in competition, it's more likely to be in that kind of format, where the skaters don't need to maintain enough energy and concentration for another 4 minutes worth of complicated program before and after.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Last year before Worlds it was reported that Stephane Lambiel was doing 4 Loops in practice, but he said he wouldn't attempt it competitevly because it was too risky, or wouldn't be worth it.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Lambiel's Loop is gorgeous. I can definitely see him being able to do the 4Loop.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Lambiel's Loop is gorgeous. I can definitely see him being able to do the 4Loop.

Same. I love lambiel's loop. I wish miki and mao will try 4lo. I think mao will try 4lo next season as she is very ambitious and always surprises everyone with all the challenges that she puts herself into.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have doubts over a quad loop actually being ratified. I think we're more likely to see quad flips or quad lutzes before we see a quad loop.

yeah. many male skaters struggle with the triple, never minid the quad. BEcause the loop really just uses the strength of our body to gain height, it would make a quad VERY difficult. M. Weiss tried a few quad lutzes back in day, none were sucessful.
I agree however, that if anybody was to land a quad loop. it would be stephane.

I think a lot of prerotation on the ice before takeoff could appear as if a 4R was executed. It would look lovely in a series: single, double, triiple, quad with the right music.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think who ever attempt will break/snap their hips before the 4Lo is retified or even landed with cheated rotation.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I believe that practicing the 4Loop would be terrible for Mao. Way too likely to injure herself and I doubt she can actually fully rotate it anyway.

IMO, she needs to focus on getting the 3Axel, 3Flip-3Loop, and 2Axel-3Toe as consistent as possible.

shine

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Joannie try a quad loop personally. So far she has the cleanest take off I've seen. There's simply no pre-rotation at all and she gets such a pop. And I agree about Stephane's loop being beautiful too, especially when done with the running three entry. He has some of the most buttery, airy edge jumps.

Last edited: