4 loop. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

4 loop.

screech

Final Flight
I'd love to see Joannie try a quad loop personally. So far she has the cleanest take off I've seen. There's simply no pre-rotation at all and she gets such a pop. And I agree about Stephane's loop being beautiful too, especially when done with the running three entry. He has some of the most buttery, airy edge jumps.

It's not really possible to do a loop without pre-rotation. It's usually 1/4 to 1/2 turn pre-rotated. Joannie is closer to the 1/4 turn but it's still pre-rotated.

I always wondered why Jeff didn't do one. His 3lp was gorgeous. Heck, his 3f would have made a nice quad too.

I recall hearing once that Chris Mabee was working on one a few years ago.

shine

Record Breaker
It's not really possible to do a loop without pre-rotation. It's usually 1/4 to 1/2 turn pre-rotated. Joannie is closer to the 1/4 turn but it's still pre-rotated.
Sure. But you get what I mean. Her loop has the least pre-rotation of all that I've seen.
I always wondered why Jeff didn't do one. His 3lp was gorgeous. Heck, his 3f would have made a nice quad too.
You wonder? Serious? After him failing to get even a quad toe during his eligible career?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
shine said:
screech said:
shine said:
I'd love to see Joannie try a quad loop personally. So far she has the cleanest take off I've seen. There's simply no pre-rotation at all and she gets such a pop.
It's not really possible to do a loop without pre-rotation. It's usually 1/4 to 1/2 turn pre-rotated.
Sure. But you get what I mean. Her loop has the least pre-rotation of all that I've seen.

That's not necessarily a good thing. You want the body to swing around into the rotation. If you don't, it becomes more likely that the blade will catch on the ice and/or your body will become tilted and/or when you land your blade won't be as fully backwards. Joannie has singled/doubled the jump once or twice every season because of rushing that takeoff.

Look here (a successful attempt):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzZZeBwz3o

She pre-rotates just a bit less then a half turn by the time the toepick is off the ice. As it should be. You'd certainly need at least that much to execute a 4Loop, not less pre-rotation.

icestar

Rinkside
Chris Mabee has

On one of Mariposa's promotional videos there is a clip of Chris Mabee landing 4Loop for the first time in practice, I'm sure there are others who have landed it in practice as well.
4Lutz has been landing in practice as well, Weiss, Stoyko, Pushenko.

I believe that was the intention of the 'assist' or in other words, the toe off, so as not to pre-rotate. It's easy to prerotate loops and salchows from back edges. Not so for the Axel which requires more precision on the forward outside take off edge.

Sweet6.0

Rinkside
Chris Mabee successfully completed 4loops in practice - as well as 4toes and 4sals! I saw them on video at a Mariposa seminar a year or two ago!

Kind of makes it more sad that he is no longer competing - so much talent!!!

A for Axel

Rinkside
didn't Sasha Cohen attempt it in practice?
or was it 4sal? sorry I'm not sure but shizuka said in her diary that she witnessed it.

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
didn't Sasha Cohen attempt it in practice?
or was it 4sal? sorry I'm not sure but shizuka said in her diary that she witnessed it.

Sasha Cohen once landed the 4S in practice. It's available on YouTube, I believe, if you want to search for it. By all accounts she never landed it cleanly again, and didn't attempt it in competition.

Miki Ando is credited with landing the first (and so far the only) clean 4S by a woman in competition, though some people have since cast doubt upon whether it was actually fully rotated.

IIRC, a Chinese male skater performed a ratified 4F at a minor competition a few years ago. I'm afraid I can't remember his name or the name of the competition, and I'm not even 100% sure it's true, though I remember reading it somewhere reliable.

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
With a loop entry I wonder whether callers would be thinking about making quarter-rotation under-rotation calls on the take-off, instead of the landing?

With a loop entry I wonder whether callers would be thinking about making quarter-rotation under-rotation calls on the take-off, instead of the landing?

They don't seem to care much about pre-rotation. Once in a while there is a downgrade for a severe (180 degree) "toe-Axel" on an attempted toe-loop, but that's about it.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen once landed the 4S in practice. It's available on YouTube, I believe, if you want to search for it. By all accounts she never landed it cleanly again, and didn't attempt it in competition.

Miki Ando is credited with landing the first (and so far the only) clean 4S in competition, though some people have since cast doubt upon whether it was actually fully rotated.

IIRC, a Chinese male skater performed a ratified 4F at a minor competition a few years ago. I'm afraid I can't remember his name or the name of the competition, and I'm not even 100% sure it's true, though I remember reading it somewhere reliable.

I believe Sasha injured her back practicing the quad sal, in addition to having a growth spurt. It actually would make more sense for Sasha to have been learning a 3A, considering she had a good axel technique with a good spring.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Did i hear that Rohene Ward had landed quad loops in practice too?

Also under COP a lot of Mike Weiss's quad Lutzes would have been fully rotated and been docked maybe -1 or -2 GOE for two footing the landing.

Ant

sarukou

Rinkside
Found an article from early 2008 suggesting that Kevin REYNOLDS was attempting quad loops:
What could earn Reynolds the title of history maker under two different headings, however, is the quadruple loop.

First, a four-revolution loop has never been successfully executed in competition, and Reynolds reports his is coming along nicely.

"I would hope to try to put that in next year," he said.

Second, if Reynolds could get the quad loop done, as well as a four revolution toe-loop and Salchow in his long program, that would make him the first skater ever to do three different [types of] quads in one program.
Having landed both a quadruple toe loop and a quadruple Salchow at Cup of Russia in December, Reynolds is two-thirds of the way there.

But lest anyone think that all those quads would make him unbeatable,
Reynolds notes that the base point value for a stand alone quad, even a loop, is less than what the high end triple-triple jump combinations are worth --

"That's not going to deter me," he clarified. "Just to have your name in the record book, I think that would be fun."

Link to article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080220&content_id=44095&vkey=ice_news

elanna

Rinkside
R. Serov jumped quad loop in his LP at 2001 Skate Canada it seems, but double-footed it.:)

Last edited: